*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621618-His-Living-Canvas
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1621618
They made a fatal mistake. How will they handle the consequences?
It was a cold winter morning when the artist woke up from his slumber and sat on the bed, crumpling the dark, satin sheets beneath his relaxed body. Parting his eyelids, he revealed a pair of empty, obsidian orbs, and ran his hands through his silky, long tresses. Lifting himself from the bed, he greeted the wintry air, shivering at the sudden contact and slowly walked over to the small, wooden window on the side of his room. In his perceptive gaze he saw the trees covered in snow, and the grass could no longer be seen, for it was hidden under the cold, white, cotton-like substance. There were no animals nearby, save for a small fox, digging its paw in the slush, wildly searching for its breakfast. The wind whistled softly through the land, and it suddenly invaded the room, inviting his charcoal, unswerving hair on an unchoreographed dance. A small smile graced his thin, pale lips as he breathed in the beautiful sight before him, before he vanished into his house, and into his art studio. Gently picking up a new canvas and some oil paint, he directed himself to his room again, placing the empty tarpaulin in front of the window, and sitting down on the wooden stool. Carefully applying oil to the ink, he dipped the paintbrush into the mixture and started to capture the scenery with his talented hands. Suddenly he heard a soft sound coming from the door, and when he opened it, found his childhood's best friend, smiling brightly at him.
“Peter!” she yelled, and tackled him in a bear-like hug. Chuckling shyly and nervously he gently pushed her away and smiled sheepishly.
“You almost cut out my air supply” he mumbled, and she rolled her eyes. Rin’s short, auburn hair was messy and her full, luscious lips were twisted into a handsome grin. Punching his arm playfully, she shoved him aside, and fell onto his old, rugged couch.
“make yourself at home” he said, ruffling her beautiful tresses. She glared at him, before pulling her hair up and tying it into a knot. “There’s tea in the kitchen if you want”
“alright!” she said, and vanished into the kitchen. Shaking his head, Peter silently cursed under his breath, thinking about how he was going to have to visit the supermarket later on.
Leaving the alcove, he dragged himself to his dormitory, sitting in his chair and once again getting lost into the world of paint. His fingers delicately led the paintbrush into an unknown dance, smoothly tracing the lines and angles, capturing the snowy sight.
“that’s pretty good” she mumbled, entering the room and standing right behind him. When he didn't answer, she just smiled faintly and took a lock of his obsidian hair on her hands, quietly examining it and running her slender, pale fingers through it. She felt him relax under her gentle caress and was silently pleased.
“your hair is longer” she mumbled, and he nodded slightly, showing her she had his attention. “when are you going to cut it?” He just shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.
“I don’t know” he answered. “I rather like it long” He felt her leave her spot behind him, and watched as she threw herself on his bed, sighing contently, feeling the softness of his mattress.
Laying on her back, she watched him carefully, thinking about how much he's changed since they were infants. She noticed the way his raven eyes narrowed in concentration, and how his dusky hair would sway with the wind.
"there's a party tonight" she suddenly commented, and watched as he nodded to show her that he was listening. "I've got two invitations"
"and?" he calmly muttered, dipping his paintbrush in orange ink to finish the fox's tail.
"I'm giving one to you" she completed, and watched as he put his utensils down and spun in his chair to gaze at her. She smiled brightly, noticing how annoyed he looked.
"you're wasting it" he said, standing up and wiping his tainted hands on a random piece of cloth. “I’m not going”
She shot daggers at him and exhaled deeply, Rolling her eyes and tossing her hands helplessly into the air.
“why?! You always isolate yourself from everything!” she yelled, and shrugged his shoulders, not really caring about her drama.
“c'mon, for me!” she whined, and He looked at her with lazy eyes, sighing deeply.
“will you stop being the drama Queen if I do?” He asked, and she nodded like a happy child. Shaking his head and running his hands through his raven tresses, He walked over to the window, inhaling the cold air. “fine” He mumbled, and she jumped from the bed, to his back, and buried her head on the crook of his neck.
“I'm so happy!” she yelled, making him wince from the loudness of her voice.
“god, do you even know how not to yell?” He mumbled, and she glared at him.
“of course” she answered in a low voice. As if trying to prove her point. He shook his head, slightly amused at her sudden childishness.
“Alright, now go so I can finish everything in peace and get ready for this party of yours”
She smiled, and ran out of his door, yelling that she’d be back later on to pick him up.
Walking up to his painting, He finished the details, preparing himself physiologically for the sudden event.
“oh god, I have a feeling I'm really going to regret this” He Said to himself, before shaking his head and dipping his paintbrush in the ink.
Hours later, dressed in a pair of old, faded jeans and a black, baggy shirt, he was strolling on the streets besides Rin, who was clad in black, skinny jeans and a colorful shirt that clung to her body revealing all of her luscious curves. Her scarf blew with the wind, and her auburn hair was tied in a disheveled bun.
“I'm so glad you could come!” she said happily, handing her tickets to the guard, who was unluckily keeping guard outside the club. Grunting in response, he felt himself being dragged over to the dance floor.
“Rin where are you going?” he asked, after he saw her walking away. She looked at him with slight annoyance, and then flashed him a smug smile.
“giving you some space” she answered nonchalantly, and he raised one elegant eyebrow, indicating his puzzlement. “I'm trying to get you a girlfriend!” she said, and he narrowed his eyes in dissatisfaction.
“wait you little brat” he called, only to see her vanishing through the crowd. Sighing in incredulity, he directed himself to the bar, successfully avoiding the other drunk females. Sitting on the stool, he shook his head, and ordered for some sake. Swallowing it all in one gulp, he felt the burning sensation down his throat, followed by a certain numbness and lightness. Ordering another, he drank it, little by little throwing his soberness through the window. Some time later, he was pulled to the dance floor by an equally drunk girl with auburn, shoulder-length hair tied in a careless bun, clad in a pair of skinny jeans and a colorful shirt, now damp with sweat and alcohol. Not thinking clearly, Rin grinded her hips against Peter, who in his state of mind, swayed to the steady beat of the music not minding the lustful stares sent their way. Later that night, he decided to walk his best friend home, and dragged her with him, out of the hot club, into the chilly, snowy night.

“ugh” Rin mumbled, feeling the weak sunlight penetrate the window and mercilessly reach her eyes, awakening her from her peaceful sleep. Opening her eyes slightly, the first thing she noticed was a beautiful painting hug on the wall. It reflected a snowy day, with a small fox digging the slush for food. “what the…” she whispered lazily, but was interrupted when she noticed that there was someone gripping her waist. Turning around, she was greeted with long, raven hair and a sharply-angled face, covered by fair, impeccable skin. “let go” she said, and slowly escaped his embrace, and ran towards the bathroom, locking herself in it. Sighing, she looked at herself in the mirror, and was surprised at her own expression. Her eyeliner was smudged, and her hair, unkempt in appearance. There were dark orbs under her eyes, and her lips were bruised and cut. Suddenly she was aware of her nakedness, and it hit her like tons of bricks: she had slept with her heart’s brother, her lifelong best friend, Peter. She showered quickly, and wrapped his towel against her body, to shelter her from the cold, and from his clever, onyx orbs. Exiting the restroom, she blushed noticing her clothes thrown across the wooden board of his room. Not wanting to wake him up, she quietly started collecting her garments, but her attempt was futile as his pupils fluttered open to reveal a pair of sleepy, jet orbs.
“why did you throw your clothes across the room?” His voice was hoarse and raspy from the sleep, and his eyes, half lidded and tired.
“I didn't” came her simple answer, and after a while, he finally understood her silent message. Lifting himself abruptly from his beddings, he buried his head inside his hands, cursing under his breath and running his fingers through his ink tresses.
“Rin” he called, and not getting an answer, he got up from his bed(carefully wrapping his sheets around his waist) and pulled on her arm, forcefully turning her to meet his gaze. Her bewitching eyes were blank, and her slender face, pale.
“Look, what happened, happened. I’m not going to act like it never happened, because we both know what happened, even though we were drunk. I just don’t want to lose my friendship with you, you have no idea of what you mean to me” At his words, spoken softly to her, she felt a small pain on her heart, and nodded slightly, embarrassed and ashamed.
“It’s not like it was your fault” she mumbled, and released herself from his hold, walking down the hall, and out of his house. “see you around”. And with that, he heard the soft click of his wooden door, and fell to his knees, leaning against the wall and trying to calm his racing heart.
“what have I done?” he asked himself and closed his eyes, silently praying that a bomb would fall on top of his head and kill him for hurting her feelings, and body.

The days flew by, and soon became weeks. They did not see each other as often, and on the occasions in which they were together, they would fake smiles to hide their deep embarrassment and regret. Peter’s paintings lost their life, and his hands seemed to have forgotten his talent. He felt empty, broken, and lonely, and he couldn't help the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes at the thought of his auburn haired friend. She was constantly in his thoughts, and during the dark hours her tears would haunt him in his sleep. Rin grew extremely sensible and moody, and she was constantly tucked under her blankets, with cramps or extreme fatigue. Both knew something was wrong, but neither wanted to be the first to assume their mistake, both being very stubborn and extremely embarrassed. After one moth, Peter decided to throw his pride out of the window, and slowly made his was to her house. Turning on the last street, he was greeted by the same image that welcomed him every winter the lived: The small, wooden house covered in white snow, and the small lake, frozen solid. The trees, naked, covered in slush, and the chilly wind whistling through them. Smiling lightly, he ascended the steps to her house and delicately knocked, hearing the sound echoing through the apparently empty house. He was surprised, when he was greeted by Rin, who smiled sheepishly and invited him in.
“I'll go get some tea” she said, and he nodded, sitting down and sighing as his sore back hit the soft cushions of the sofa. When she came back, he couldn't help but grin, knowing she prepared his favorite tea.
“cinnamon huh?” he mumbled, and she nodded, sitting besides him, and slowly taking a sip out of her tea. He followed her actions, relaxing as the warm liquid entered his body, relieving it from the cold.
“what brings you here?” she asked nonchalantly, and he set his porcelain teacup on the coffee table in front of them, being as careful as possible.
“I just wanted to apologize” he mumbled, and felt her stiffen besides him. “for everything. For avoiding you, for hurting you”
Looking at her, he was surprised to see tears flowing down her face, staining her delicate cheeks and falling on her lap, each tear like a precious crystal, shining in the light before splashing away and being absorbed by the cloth of her dress. Reaching up, he wiped away some of them with his thumb, and asked her what was wrong, kindly and gently taking her into his arms, like he used to, and offered his shoulder for her to cry on.
“its too late now Peter” she said with a sob, burying her face on his shoulder, and missed his confused gaze.
“I can’t give you your virginity back Rin” he said, his voice betraying guilt and regret.
“that’s not what I meant” she said, tightening her grip on his shirt, wanting to vanish and get lost into the blue folds of his garment.
“than what did you….” He started, but suddenly refrained himself from saying anything as he suddenly understood the hidden message she implied. Gently pulling apart, he searched her teal orb for any sign of mischievousness, only to find truth and despair.
“what will we do?” she asked, and once again found herself safe within his strong, scarred arms.
“I don’t know Rin” he said, closing his eyes and kissing the top of her head tenderly. “I don’t know”
He let her sob into his shirt, and smiled faintly when he saw that she had fallen asleep against him. Gently picking her up, he walked through the house and lay her down on her bed, sitting besides her, drinking in her details. He noticed how she had gained some weight, and remembered how moody she had been lately. How she was always seasick, constantly throwing up and in bed with a headache or just extreme tiredness. Shaking his head, he covered her and left silently, not wanting to wake her up, and needing to clear his thoughts, to calm his racing heart.
Later that night, he felt a pair of small hands shaking his shoulder, and felt something wet falling on his face. Opening his eyes slightly, he faintly saw a pale face above him, and heard the soft voice calling his name. Rubbing his hands over his sleepy orbs, he finally recognized his companion as Rin.
“what are you doing here?” he asked, suddenly sitting up, and noticing her face stained with tears. She immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in the crook of his neck, crying bitterly. Hesitantly, he slowly wrapped his arms around her, and asked her what was wrong. She answered him, by telling that she told her parents, and was now scared of their reaction.
“didn't we agree we would tell the together?” he asked softly, and she shook her head.
“my mom found the pregnancy test, and I was forced to tell them” she sobbed, and he told her it was ok.
“can I stay here? Please?” she begged, and he nodded solemnly, getting up from the bed and laying her down. At her puzzled expression, he sighed and told her that he was taking the couch. Just as he was walking away, he felt her grab his wrist in a firm grip, to stop him from walking any further. Turning his face towards her, he saw her small, fragile frame shaking, and her eyes wide with fear and venerability.
“stay” she asked, and he looked at her with slight amusement and surprise.
“you sure?” he asked, and slowly watched as she nodded, and pulled the covers back, inviting him in. Sliding in, he lay beside her, and smiled faintly when he felt her snuggle up against him, to receive comfort and warmth. “good night" he mumbled, stroking her hair until he felt that she fell asleep, her breathing deep and even, her weight on his chest. He let slowly darkness overcome and drag him into the world of dreams, comforted by the sweet sound of her breathing.
The next day, Rin packed her belongings and fled to Peter's house, where she planned to stay until her parent's wrath faded. Peter continued painting as usual, while she surrendered herself to studying and writing. Peter watched her closely, always protecting and caring for her, and their child, while she slowly experienced the first effective changes that came with holding life inside her.
"Peter" she walked into his studio, to find him covered in paint, absorbed in a new piece of art. "I'm going for a walk"
"do you want me to go with you?" he asked, without turning, and she shook her head, smiling at his concern.
" that's not needed" she answered, and gently placed her hand on his shoulder. "I'm going now"
"don't be long" he said, turning to gaze into her beautiful face. "its cold outside" She nodded, and exited the room, vanishing into the streets, smiling at the fresh air.
Some hours later, Peter had already finished his watercolors, and paced around the house, impatiently waiting for her. Deciding to let his heart take over, he grabbed a jacket and ran outside his residence, searching for his roommate, his friend, the only woman he cared about. After walking down a few streets, he faintly heard a scream, filled with fear and anguish. Running towards it, he was shocked by the sight greeting his wide, onyx orbs. Rin was surrounded by three men, who were laughing greedily, with lustful eyes. She was trapped against the wall, with blood dripping from her bruised, swollen lips. Her shaky hands clutched her newly-developed belly in pain and protectiveness. Her beautiful face was twisted into an afflictive grimace. Peter not spending time to think, ran towards her, standing before her to shield her from their immoral eyes.
"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" he asked, coal eyes wild, burning with anger.
"stay out of this kid" one of the men said, slightly pushing him away, attempting to reach the venerable girl.
"no" he answered, dangerously narrowing his eyes. The men only laughed, shaking their heads with mocking smiled plastered upon their ugly faces. "Stay away from her you bastards" They smiled in amusement, revealing poorly-treated, ugly teeth.
"and what will you do about it eh?"
Peter immediately sent his fist crushing the man's nose, successfully breaking it. After inflicting some blows to them, and receiving some himself, he knocked out the filthy, violent men. Turning to her, he saw that her jacket was nowhere to be found, and her jeans, torn. Her arms were adorned with bruises and cuts, and tears stained her face, pale and apprehensive.
"shh, its ok" he whispered to her, wrapping her petite, frail form around his strong, safe arms. "I'm here now"
"I'm so sorry" she sobbed, coughing blood onto his shirt. Pulling her up, he held her bridal style, letting her rest her head against his chest.
"we gotta go to the hospital" he suggested, and she nodded, trying her best not to faint from the piercing pain in her womb.
"did they do anything to you?" he asked while running, and she shook her head, hiding her face behind her tangled tresses.
"I didn't want them touch me" she answered, sighing and shutting her eyes tightly. "they punched me, and kicked my belly a few times" Burying her face in his chest, she sighed in agony. "it hurts so much"
Arriving at the hospital, they were led towards the emergency room, where he explained to the head doctor how some men had attempted to rape her, and was immediately kicked out of the room, waiting until the professionals finished helping Rin. Seating back into the white, uncomfortable hospital chairs he waited until a nurse came to bandage his own injuries. Closing his eyes, he took his time to analyze his feelings. He had been developing something other than friendship for her, and it was slowly growing, flooding his mind, and blinding his eyes. Everytime he was near her, his heart would skip a beat or two, and he'd catch his breath, amazed by her beauty, and bewitched by her soft, sweet smile. He knew he was falling in love for her, falling hard.
After 3 insupportable hours of waiting, he was summoned by the doctor, who said he was allowed to see his friend. Walking into the white, cold room, he spotted Rin sitting on the bed, gazing at the night through the glass windows. Her slender arms were bandaged, and so was her lower-body.
"hey" he said softly, sitting by her side and taking her cold, small hands in his warm, secure ones. "how are you feeling?"
She turned to him, her wax-like cheeks tearstained and her grey eyes bloodshot. Looking down, she sighed and surpressed a cry.
"I-" she started, sobbing between her words. "I lost our b-baby". His eyes widened, and he slowly, carefully wrapped his arms around her, trying to console both her and himself, trying to be strong for them. He felt as if a knife had been run through his heart, and sadness took over him.
"its ok" he mumbled, trying to keep his voice from wavering through his bitter tears. "it wasn't your fault"
Later that night he walked out of the hospital, with a sleeping Rin safely tucked within his embrace, secure and protected. He watched over her during the dark hours, denying himself the rest he needed. He couldn't stop the silent tears that fell from his eyes, and the unbearable, miserable pain in his chest.
The following days she moved back to her father's house, claiming that she had nothing to fear anymore, since her child was spiritless. After her departure, Peter's life became clouded and dull. The food had lost its taste, and inspiration would not come to him. He couldn't sleep without being haunted by nightmares, and his heart ached for his auburn haired friend. She avoided him, isolating herself from the rest of the world, trying to be strong for the three of them; for the deceased child, Peter and herself, failing miserably.

The weeks became months, the snow melted and gave place to the grass and the sea of flowers, colorful and happy. The air was flooded with the sweet scent of spring, and the sun shone sheepishly upon the land. Peter directed himself to his studio, and sat on the wooden, small chair to analyze his unfinished piece of work. Closing his eyes, he tried to concentrate on the painting, failing miserably. He shook his head slowly, and buried it deep within his hands, taking a deep breath, and resting his forehead gently against the sketch. He could not believe how much he needed her; even after months of isolation his heart still insisted in torturing him. Suddenly he heard a gentle, low knock on his door, and upon opening it his beautiful eyes widened in surprise.
"Peter" his visitor whispered, hugging herself with her slender, pale arms, attempting to shield herself from the morning wind. Her auburn hair, short and silky danced with the soft wind, and her scarlet lips, small and delicate quivered uncontrollably. Her eyes, gray and deep were glossy, welled up with the hot, salty tears staining her pale, slender face.
"Rin!?" he asked, alarmed, pulling her shaky, cold body to his own, warm and strong. He gently wrapped his arms around her, warming her frail form, and supporting her weight.
"It hurts so badly" she whimpered, and he eyed her with puzzlement.
"What hurts?" his hoarse, deep voice echoed through her ears, only to make her cry harder, burying her head within his chest. He felt his white shirt hugging his chest, wet with her sad, miserable tears.
"My heart" she whispered, making him stiffen. Pulling her away from him, he found her beautiful, small hands tightly clutching her chest, as if doing so, the pain would stop. He felt his stomach twist in pity as he saw her sink to her knees and lean against his wooden door. She sobbed, and her body shook violently, like a tree at the mercy of a hurricane.
Leaning down, he picked her up in his arms, and gently sat her on the old, soft couch. She leaned against the cushions and exhaled deeply, wiping her tears away from her eyes and smoothing her hair.
"Tell me, what is wrong" he asked, gently sitting beside her and wrapping her hands with his own.
"even after all this time" she whispered, watching him intently. "I still have feelings for you" He fixed her with his onyx, cold eyes, and she shivered under his gaze, intense yet soft.
"you love me?" he mumbled, and her grey, bloodshot eyes hid themselves behind her pupils, not wanting to meet his stare. She slowly nodded, and bit her lip, nervously waiting for his reply.
"I'm so sorry" she said after not getting any response, and looked at him, begging him to understand. "I needed to see you" she mumbled, gently running her beautiful fingers along an ugly-looking scar which adorned his right shoulder. Remembering how it was inflicted to him, guilt covered her eyes, as she recalled him shielding her from those filthy men. She felt him shiver under her soft touch, and gently placed her palm over his cicatrix, covering it from her curious eyes. "I" she started, hiccuping as she began to cry once again. "'I’m broken" she said, and he gently kissed the top of her head, trying to soothe her, to console her. "Please, repair me" she begged, making him wide-eyed. She felt him stiffen at her request, and sensed his confusion. "Repair me like one of your tarpaulins. Let me be your living canvas." He pulled her away, and searched her eyes, finding sincerity and misery in her bloodshot, wet gaze. "Please, let me love you"
He cupped her cheeks, and leaned into her, softly brushing her lips against his.
"you have no idea of how long I've wanted to hear this from you" he mumbled, tracing the contour of her lower lip with his thumb. "I've loved you for so long"
He gently captured her lips in a soft, delicate kiss, pouring his feelings in the caress, feeling the softness of her warm mouth.
"please, let me hold you and never let you go" he asked, when the need for oxygen became too much to endure. "Let me love you like you deserve to"
She smiled softly, an gently kissed his neck. "you don't need to ask me" she whispered lovingly. "just hold me tight"
He smiled and complied with her wish, wrapping her possessively with his pale arms, enjoying the feeling of being complete once again.

© Copyright 2009 TealHeadlight (scarlet.ink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621618-His-Living-Canvas