*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1622070-draft-of-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fantasy · #1622070
:::UNDER CONSTRUCTION:::
Aerx's eyes drifted open lazily. The smell of the rough hewn maple rafters brought a smile of satisfaction to his lips. An entire summer of hard work had gone into rebuilding the roof to this once abandoned house. The old roof had long since rotted and collapsed, yet the original wood flooring had survived nearly untouched. Apparently ironwood defied more than just saws. Grunting softly, he pulled himself upright.

The first few rays of sunlight danced in the kitchen window casting lively shadows on a few dirty dishes. A wisp of cold air caressed the top of his hands before twirling around his bare feet causing him to shudder. The heat of the coming summer had only just begun to rid the world of winter's icy grip. The merry crackle of sassafras logs burning in the fire place for some reason reminded him of his first night he had spent in his home. Everything had been still that night save his small fire and the reflection of a bright full moon on the surface of Lake Karyn. The world, that evening, felt at peace for the first time that he could remember. A smile of contentment briefly crossed his lips.

The sound of water hissing and splashing brought him back to reality with a splash of icy fear running down his spine. Some one was in the house, but why was there water hissing? Walking slowly to keep from alerting his uninvited guest he crept across the living room and into his soon-to-be bedroom. No one was there. From his bathroom came another round of splashing and hissing with a cloud of steam rolling under the door. What kind of bandit or thief takes a bath before robbing someone blind? Seconds felt like minutes as the door came within reach. Silently he went for the door knob but it turned before his fingers touched it. Panic raced through him an instant before the door swung inward.

Lyhn stood in the steam filled doorway wearing a towel like a dress. "Aerx! I wasn't expecting you to be up yet." Her eyes were wide with surprise and water dripped from her still wet curls and hissed when they hit the floor. "I have to admit, you are much more cleaver than I had imagined possible for a human."

Aerx shook himself to pull the world back to reality, "What do you mean more cleaver than you thought possible?"

Lyhn pointed toward the shower with the metal tubing leading to a metal barrel filled with water from the outside rain collection system. A thin rope dangled from higher on the wall. "Quite an ingenious contraption you have created for getting yourself clean. I'm sure it beats having to go outside to draw bath water from a well when it gets cold."

Aerx blushed slightly, "No one has ever called my tinkering ingenious before. When I made it Kuram told me I was wasting perfectly good iron that should be used for blades."

A puzzled looked swept over her face, "Who is this Kuram?"

"He's the master blacksmith I apprentice under a few minutes walk outside of Toterdam," Aerx replied as though it should be common knowledge.

"Well he doesn't know a good thing when it's right in front of his face. Do you have something I could wear for now? My dress was ruined by the blood."

He turned on his heel while answering over his shoulder, "Sure thing. I'll take you to town once you're ready so you can get some proper clothing." At his weathered, built in wardrobe he selected a clean grey shirt. "Hmm... Did this thing really shrink that much from washing it?" He mused to himself. A few steps later it was in her hands, "It's shrunk some so hopefully it won't be that big on you." Without warning he suddenly felt embarrassed. "I'll be outside when you are ready," he called as he rushed towards some fresh air.

Outside, Lyhn found him sitting on an old stump looking out over Karyn Lake. Its surface was an undisturbed reflection of the green-gold dawn leaves. A single silvery white flower twirled absently in his calloused fingers . "I'm ready if you are, Dear." She called in a teasing tone. Aerx jerked upright as if pulled from deep thought.6

He handed her the flower shyly, "I... I thought it would look nice in your hair and help to hide your horns. It's called a morning bell. There are legends that say it will change color to match the nature of the person holding it." The delicate petals glowed ever so slightly as bright red crept into them from the center out. "Well I guess we shouldn't be surprised about your color. It suits you."
Lyhn smiled gently as she tucked the bloom into a curl in front of her right horn. Aerx frowned slightly before reaching down for another bloom. She thought she heard him mutter something softly under his breath but couldn't make it out. He handed it to her with a shy smile, "It didn't look quite right alone up there." Her smile widened as she inserted the second bloom into her hair in front of her left horn.
"There. Does it look alright now?" There was a softness in her voice that hadn't been there before, and it didn't go unnoticed.
"Beautiful." The sudden embarrassment from earlier returned with a vengeance causing him the spin on his heels again to keep her from seeing him blush. "Weeee better get going. Let's take the trail so you don't have to worry about anyone starring at you in men's clothes." Without waiting for her reply, Aerx set out down the trail along the lakeside.

Lyhn hesitated with a groan before jogging after him. She caught him easily and clutched at his hand. Aerx glanced at her, "Is something wrong?"
She buried her head against his shoulder, "The woodlands are no place for my kind."
Aerx frowned but kept walking, "What makes you think that?"
Her ruby eyes were filled with worry, "I don't know the details of the story, but the spirits of the forests bear a grudge against my people from long ago. Can't you feel the tension in the air?" Now that she had mentioned it, the air did seem different. No birds sang, the trees seemed to block more of the sun than usual, and there wasn't even a hint of a breeze.
Aerx stopped in his tracks. "Don't move," he whisper barely loud enough for for her to hear him. From behind a tree a black bear walked onto the trail starring at them. It raised up on its hind legs in challenge a mere twenty feet from them. "Stay behind me," He instructed unneeded. Aerx stood up a little taller and raised his voice, "Leave us be. There is no meal here for you." The bear stood there for a moment, as if trying to decide if he was a legitimate threat. A slight breeze shifted the leaves. "Leave now!" He commanded with an almost palpable force. The bear hesitated a second longer before loping off towards the lake. "Let's get going before it changes its mind." Lyhn didn't offer a word in protest...

The rest of the walk along the trail was pleasantly uneventful. The tense feel in the air faded and birds started chirping merrily as though nothing had ever happened. Whatever had summoned the bear to the path seemed to have lost the battle of wills for now. They saw no one out on the rutted main road, much to his relief, and made good time to Toterdam. Fortunately there was a small collection of shops on the outskirts of the city aimed towards relieving weary travelers of their coin. He led her into one such shop wedged between an apothecary and a general goods store.

Inside, Lyhn released his arm as dresses of numerous designs and colors greeted her eyes. The shop smelled of foreign perfumes and a slight hint of cherry wood smoke as an old woman approached them. Time had caused her to stoop and her long hair to turn grey but there was a spark of life in her eyes. "Welcome to my emporium of feminine goods," The old woman said in greeting. "I don't believe I've ever seen you two before. I am Marj, the owner of this shop. What can I interest you in this morning?"
Lyhn hesitated so Aerx spoke up, "Hello Ma'am. I am Aerx and this is my... wife Lyhn. We are in need of some proper dresses that suit her. Her's were unfortunately ruined yesterday."
The old woman regarded Lyhn for a moment before speaking, "Yes. I have a few in mind that will might fit her. Come with me dear and we'll get you out of those absolutely dreadful rags." Lyhn glanced at Aerx, who nodded to go on.
"Get as many as you need," he told her with a nod.
She tried on over two dozen dresses before finally deciding on seven. One for each day she rationed needlessly. She decided to wear a red one for today that was somewhat plain but seemed to accent her beauty despite the fact. It hugged her torso before flaring out to just below her hips. A pair of new, tan leather shoes complete it as Lyhn looked for his approval. He assured her it was beautiful as he tried unsuccessfully to hide a smile.
In the back of the store, they stood at the counter to pay. Three off-white dresses, one black one, and two different colored blue ones along with his grey shirt were folded neatly on the counter. "How much do I owe for these?" Aerx questioned Marj.
"You two are newly weds aren't you? I can always tell. I like you so how about three coin each for the dresses and another for the shoes?"
Aerx's pale blue eyes opened wide, "Twenty-two coins? Are you sure?"
"That isn't too much for you is it?" Marj asked with a concerned look on her wrinkled face.
He waved his arms in protest, "No. No. Twenty-two is fine." He pulled a pouch out of a front pocket of his blue pants. "Here you go," He stated as he handed the elder woman her fee. "Do you by chance have a sack we can put these in?"
Marj reached under the counter, "As long as you aren't concerned with looks I believe I have one that will work." She produced a faded leather sack with a drawstring that looked nearly as old as she was. "I've been meaning to buy a new one for several years. You will give me a reason to finally do it. Take it as a small gift from an old woman."
Lyhn thanked her for the kind gesture and gently placed her new wardrobe inside. They both thanked her for the kindness again and headed back into the morning light.
Aerx squinted just to be able to see, "Awefully bright today. So, what would you like to see first?"
Lyhn shrugged, "What does your home city have to offer?"
"Good question. To be honest, I've never ventured farther than this into the city. You must be hungry so let's find somewhere to eat. Then I'm sure you've noticed I'm in dire need of some new furnishings so I though we could address that next" Neither had eaten in at least a day.

They wandered along the main street until they found a roadside stall selling meat pieces on a stick and apples. The stall owner was a round little man with an over zealous smile and tan rag rapped around his head. "Good morn to the both of you. What fine nourishment can I offer you on such a beautiful spring day?" He held out a stubby finger to them, "Don't tell me. I can already tell exactly what you need." Aerx and Lyhn exchanged glances but humored the merry fellow. He handed Aerx a red apple in one hand and Lyhn a meat stick with the other. Surprise filled both their eyes.
Aerx asked what they were both thinking, "How did you know what we wanted?"
The plump man chuckled merrily, "A master never reveals his secrets, but let's just say in my line of work it pays to know your customers. Three coppers is your total." Aerx shifted the sack with his free hand and dug out three copper coins from his pocket. He bit into the apple as he handed over the coins. Sweet, juicy bliss flooded over his eager taste buds. For a few seconds all was right in the world.
They each thanked him and returned to wandering the main street of Toterdam. A few judicious inquiries and the passing of a copper netted them with directions to a reasonably priced furniture craftsman. The walk was pleasant enough, but Aerx progressively started to notice people were clearing out of Lyhn's way and staring. It made sense to an extent as she was more beautiful than nearly every woman in sight. He dismissed it as nothing more and kept pace with her.


At the top of a low hill lined with houses Lyhn spotted a great stone castle, "What is that place?"
Aerx glanced up from another bite of his apple that was nearly gone. "Ah. So that is the castle of Toterdam that I've heard Kuram mention. If I remember correctly that's where King Cursike rules from."
She turned to stare at him as if she though he was lying, "Did you say Cursike?"
He shrugged indifferently, "Yeah. What does it matter?" Without warning she spun, headed back the way they had came at a fast walk. For a brief second he stood dumbfounded before giving chase. "What is it, Lyhn? Did I say something wrong?" He pleaded.
She spun back so quickly he had skid to a halt. "Don't say my name so loudly!" She hissed into his ear. He started to ask why, but she silenced him with a fiery stare, "We need to get out of here NOW." She started out again before he could ask another question.
A few seconds later, as if on cue, two men in armor walked out of a side street blocking their path. Alarm bells finally started ringing in Aerx's head. These guards were clearly not here to exchange pleasantries. The taller of the two spoke though his iron helm, "Lady Durensike." Lyhn tensed at hearing her last name, "The Lord wishes to have an audience with you immediately. Please come with us."
Defeat washed over her face, "Very well. Lead the way." Confusion, anxiety, and worry swirled together within Aerx's mind. He walked in a daze alongside his wife all the way to a pair of colossal wooden doors. The guards stopped just short and turned to address them, "Wait here while I announce to the Lord." Without waiting for a response he turned and pushed open the left door enough to permit his entry. The heavy door boomed with an air of foreboding as it shut.
All the color in Lyhn's face had disappeared. "This isn't good, Aerx. If I had known he was here we would have never come. Please listen carefully to me. Once we are inside do not speak unless he addresses you directly. It is imperative that you let me do the talk..." Before either of them could say anything further the door opened with a loud crack. The tall guard stepped out far enough to beckon them in. Aerx swallowed down his nerves in time to follow her in past the near torso thick doors. The guard stayed with the door, closing it with another thunderous boom.

The throne room was like a hallway for a giant. Towering pillars lined the grey walls holding up the enormously heavy roof. A single torch clung to the side of each to keep the dark at bay. A single red rug lined the walkway to the polished black throne. Atop the throne sat a man in a red tunic and black pants wearing a blood colored crown, King Cursike. In any other setting he could have passed for a minor nobleman. His hair, like Lyhn, was a soot black that stood out starkly against his white skin and red eyes. Lyhn stopped several paces away but close enough to speak normally and bowed. Aerx quickly followed suit.

"Rise," The king commanded in an icy voice. Both did as they were told. Aerx couldn't help but feel cold in his presence. "It's been a nearly a decade since we last spoke hasn't it niece?" A firestorm of realizations, questions, and worry asailed the human's mind. The most prevaletent one was: why is a Daemon all the way out here?
Lyhn dared not look directly at him, "It has, Uncle. Father had not mentioned you are now a king. What did you summon me for on such short notice?"
Cursike ignored her question, "There are many things your father fails to mention. Who is this human you drug in with you? Is he your manservant?" Indignation replaced Aerx's fear, but he held his tongue.
"He is my husband, Aerx," Lyhn corrected.
The king cackled, "Husband? Has the name Durensike fallen so far that humans are seen as worthy of marriage?!"
"You know all too well my name hasn't fallen. We are bound by ancient Daemon law that dare not dream to break. He cared for me of his own free will which is more than I can say for most."
"Ahh... I didn't think anyone even knew that law existed anymore. No doubt your father will be thrilled when he hears the news. The only girl to be born into the family for the last millennia has married a filthy human using a long forgotten law as justification. Yes, I'm sure he will be delighted." Aerx had long since grown tired of being put down by this pompous ass. Lyhn glanced at him in warning.
"It matters little whether Father likes it or not. He's the one who taught me all the ancient laws so he has no one to blame but himself. I sincerely doubt you called me here just to harass me about who I am married to. Why did you summon me, Uncle?"
Cursike studied a glass of red vine for a moment, "Oh nothing too special. Your father has his feathers in a ruffle over the loss of his beloved... pet... daughter. He sent an urgent message to all the lords to keep a look out for you. Imagine my surprise when you practically walked in my front door. If any of us found you alive; he has instructed us to relay a message to him and to you. You are to return to Helmount immediately. I have relayed his message to you and will humor him with a message as well. Would you like me to relay anything to him on your behalf while I'm at it?"
"Yes I do have a message for him. Tell him I would rather face the Forbidden Forest than come home. I am 200 years old and capable of having my own life outside his influence."
A cold smile spread on his pale face, "As you wish dear niece. I will include your words with my own. I wish you good luck on your journey though it will do no good. Our audience is through. Leave." Lyhn huffed with indignity before turning to the door. Aerx followed in a daze again. The door swung open unbidden, allowing her to storm through unopposed.

She stormed all the way through town without a so much as a word. Entire crowds of people moved aside just to stay out of her way. Each person bore the same look of open fear. Aerx finally realized why they were so frightened. The morning bells in her hair were burning and she didn't seem to notice or care. She didn't relent until they reached the head of the trail.

She stopped without warning, letting loose a scream of pure rage. A wall of fire burst from her in all directions burning everything it touched. Unbelievable heat enveloped everything; to include Aerx. Every inch of his body felt like it was being torn apart. He was vaguely aware of the sensation of flight before crumpling against a tree. Instantly all went dark.

Pain greeted Aerx back into the world of the living. Everything hurt all at once. Even death appeared appealing, anything to make the pain go away. The last thing he was aware of as he slipped into the darkness again was the feeling of something within him breaking...

Death did not claim him as expected. A cool night breeze welcomed him back to consciousness. The burning had gone, and the pain was now manageable. High above, two full moons slowly twirled around each other. Just by watching them he seemed to feel better.
When he tried to sit up every fiber of his being protested. Finally, his will won out long enough to sit up if a slumped over. Beads of new sweat rolled down his face stinging the burnt skin as he panted heavily. From his new viewpoint what remained of the crossing almost glowed in the pail moonlight. Even at night he could tell the ground had been badly scorched from the heat.



Once the door closed Aerx walked slowly to his favorite stump that overlook the lake. He dropped the sack at last and sat starring at the mirrored surface of the waters. A few yards away a firefly floated gently out over the water. Slowly more of its kin joined in. It seemed like ages since the last time he had seen their gentle green glow...

Lyhn found him the next morning asleep. He was still sitting on the stump with his head resting on his left hand. A young vine covered with silver white morning bells had wrapped itself around the base of the stump. A hidden twig snapped underfoot.
Aerx jumped to his feet with a crude wooden club raised in his right hand. Recognition flashed in his eyes and his attack ended before it even had a chance to begin. The club made a soft thud as it fell on the grass by his feet. "Goo...good morning. Did you sleep well?" He stuttered over himself. She somberly shook her head. "What disturbed your rest, a nightmare?" He took a step towards her but she quickly retreated.
"Not a nightmare. You." Lyhn stated softly. A momentary look of fear flashed over her features and was gone.
"Me?! I'm not following you."
"You broke the necks of two of my kind as if merely stepping on an ant. You killed them both in cold blood and now act like nothing happened. What kind of monster are you?"
"I..I insured your safety. I couldn't risk them coming after you again. I only did it to protect you. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but I did it for you despite you nearly killing me prior to that."
"What do you mean nearly killing you? I have never hurt you."
"Do you remember crossroads at all? That burst of rage of your's scorched everything to include me. Didn't you notice I wasn't with you afterwards?"
Lyhn stared at her feet" I thought you had gone somewhere else."
Anger seeped into his voice a little more than he had hoped, "Oh I went away alright, straight into a tree. I was right behind you when you snapped. Maker only knows how many hours I spent slumped against that tree unconcious. It burned so badly that death felt like a welcome reprieve. I honestly don't know how I survived. And when I finally did wake up you were nowhere to be found."

Lyhn crumpled onto the grass crying hysterically. Loud sobs racked her slim frame. All the anger Aerx had just felt fell away to sadness and worry. He knelt down and pulled her to him to attempt to comfort her. She offered no resistance, crying into his chest. "I'm...so...so...sorry. I h..had no... idea... I... had hurt.. you. I've... brought you... no..nothing... but trouble.. and pain. I'm.. a terr..ible wife... You.. deserve.. better than... me," She wailed through her sobs.
Despair clawed at his heart. What kind of husband was he to speak so harshly that he made her feel like this? "No. You are not a terrible wife. Yesterday morning was the best time I've ever had. Before you, my life was a hollow shell. I didn't even see the light of day for months because all I ever did was work. You made me live again."
Lyhn managed to regain some composure. With tears in her eyes she looked up at him, searching his own eyes for truth, "Do you really mean that?"
He smiled gently, "Every word. I'm sorry for getting angry with you. I took things too far, and that was cruel of me. You deserve better."
She smiled despite the tears in her red eyes, "Thank you for being so kind to me. I've put you through so much in such a short time, but you've been there for me through it all without a complaint. I couldn't have gotten luckier than when I was saved by you." Before he could respond she lifted herself up and kissed him. A different kind of fire raced through his veins. It burned with what must surely be a new flame of love.

Their kiss was short lived. A familiar female voice came from somewhere behind Lyhn, "Are you two love birds going to sit there all day sucking face?" Both sprang to their feet to find Naomi propped against the front door of the house.
Lyhn spoke first, "Naomi? What are you doing here?"
With a shove from her shoulder she stood back up and openned the door in one motion, "Warning you, Madam Durensike, but this is a conversation that is best kept private."
Neither offered an argument and walked inside. Naomi shut the door behind them and immediately started speak, "What in blazes did you do Lyhn? The entire kingdom is in an uproar. Your father is practically foaming at the mouth in rage. Do you have any idea how hard it was to get here undetected?"

Lyhn couldn't meet her gaze, "I met Cursike."
Horror bounded in Naomi's flame red eye, "Cursike?! Oh hell, please tell me you didn't do something stupid."
© Copyright 2009 Aerix~ The Storm Dragon (desertrunner at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1622070-draft-of-Chapter-2