*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1622254-Blue-Ridge-Red-River
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Fiction · Dark · #1622254
Part of a novel about a serial murderer from the Appalachia's
Kyle was from a dirty grey steel town in West Virginia where the sky was mostly blocked out by the mountainous hills thick with dead and dying trees. Just like Kyle's father, the men looked older than their years. Even the more animated ones walked hunched and slow. Worn and crippled from years trudging the mines or being ground down in the factories. They shuffle from one place to another with their eyes toward the ground.
Ever since Kyle could remember, his old man spent most days on the porch in his piss stained chair or in his other piss stained chair by the wood-burning stove chain-smoking Winstons and drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon. Having lost his left hand at the steel plant when Kyle was four, in by most accounts, an accident caused by his drunkenness, he collected enough money in disability to stay swimming in beer and cigarette butts. With the rusty and long since mobil home paid for years ago, complete with a leaning wooden porch and wood-burning stove made of scrap metal, Mr. Baggett had nothing more to do with his time than get blackout drunk, shoot at imaginary things in his accumulated junkyard out front, and viciously beat Kyle.
Mr. Baggett was no doubt a horrible man. A scrawny one hundred and forty pounds of disease and hate. His long grey hair stained yellow with nicotine. He usually staggered stiff legged when he walked using his two pound hook-hand to counterbalance. Black lifeless eyes sunk deep in a face creased with lines set too close together over a nose bent from bar-fights. His mouth thin lipped over naked abscessed gums long since toothless. Always dressed in one of four sets of dirty and patched thick denim coveralls. Worn as if in some act of defiance. Not having worked since the day he lost his hand, he always wore his plant coveralls with the companyy logo patch ripped off.
Somewhat secluded from town, Mr. Baggett was avoided by everyone except the occasional state-trooper for excessive target shooting as he called it. Mr. Bagget was a horrible, nasty, dangerous, and ill mannered man. But Mr. Baggett's son Kyle....well Mr. Baggett's son Kyle was a monster.
© Copyright 2009 damaged (cbr929 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1622254-Blue-Ridge-Red-River