*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1624080-On-line-Coaching--Beware-TBD
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1624080
My experience of paying 600 dolloars for writing tuition.
I like many people on this site want to improve my standard of writing. I am of the belief that anyone can express feelings and thoughts with the written word in the same way one can use paint on canvass. To the purists it may not be perfect but any such expression has value and often used as a form of therapy.

I enjoy writing and as I stated at the beginning have a desire to learn the craft and improve on my ability. It was for this reason I found myself browsing on the internet for some kind of group or tuition facility. I do not live in a city and since the evening class I attended had ceased I felt on line might prove to be the solution. I stumbled across a web site looking for people to join a writer's group promising support and tuition. Perfect I thought. I paid using PayPal as the method of choice and waited to hear more.

September came and went and I heard nothing. I then wrote an e mail to Terri Browne Davidson who was running the course asking if there was a problem. I did receive a reply stating that there had not been enough people to justify a group but she could offer me one to one tuition in November. I accepted this offer and waited.

I was sent in an e mail a few printable tips re writing a short story which I read. I was then asked to write a short story of 10,000 words. Long I felt for a first short story! I did however write a story and submitted it. We were then to talk on the phone where no positives were offered on the work produced merely a request to read several other short stories and submit two for the following week.

The phone conversation we had did not last long. The following scheduled conversation was postponed due to mother's day. Yes it had taken this long to reach this stage. When we spoke my stories were slated and I was told, yes told that I could not write at all and really it would be better to give up. I could if I wished have one last try and this time write using very short sentences. I did accept this option but upon reflection wrote an e mail to the lady stating that I was upset at the total lack of any constructive input and that I had found her totally destructive in the things she said. Perhaps I cannot write to her exacting standards but I can write and have in the group I used to attend had some nice comments. When I said this to her she claimed they were only being nice and nothing said had been true.

This is a totally accurate account of my experience. It is only now that I start to pen a few words here and there as my confidence was shaken. I keep telling myself I enjoy writing and if I enjoy it then it matters not what Terri Browne Davidson thinks. I would further add that the careful wording on her website that no refunds are ever given comes as no surprise.

So please be aware when and if you decide to enrol for any on line tuition that you really do not know the quality or the ability to deliver of the person at the other end.
I am sure many people have been enriched by the experience but I having signed up in good faith found it rather degrading and humiliating.

The delivery of the reality compared to the fine words on her site had not even the remotest connection. What I experienced was shambolic and negative.
© Copyright 2009 carraway (carraway at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1624080-On-line-Coaching--Beware-TBD