*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1625301-How-To-Find-The-Best-Hair-Stylist
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · How-To/Advice · #1625301
How do you find the right hair stylist for your needs?
If you don't have a regular hair stylist it is generally a good idea to find one before you need a hair cut. Ask your friends for recommendations; are they happy with their stylist? do they feel they are treated as an individual while in the salon rather than just another client? Are they made to feel comfortable while having their hair done?

Google salons in your area and browse through the websites returned on your search. Look for testimonials from satisfied customers. Remember that although many salons these days do have websites there are still many smaller salons that do not.

Visit a few salons and speak to the stylists there, the best stylists will always offer a free consultation prior to carrying out any services. They will ask you about the kind of style you are looking for and should always be more than happy to provide style books and magazines for your perusal.
                                         
Find out when the stylists qualified and how much experience they have. Do they specialize in a specific aspect of hair styling such as permanent waving or coloring. Do they keep up to date with new styles by attending refresher courses? Do they use a variety of coloring techniques? Are they familiar with differing techniques used for creating permanent curls and waves; such as piggy back winding, spiral winding and directional curling?

The best will help you find a style and color that suits your skin tone, face shape and hair type. Any features you want to show off or direct attention away from should be discussed and the stylist should be able to advice you on which styles will achieve the best results.

If you can't find a style in the books that you like an exceptionally good stylist will help you design your own style, one that is unique to you. If you like the shape on the sides of one style but don't like the length on the top or the way the back hangs you can adjust those areas to something you do like.

Once you have found the style you like and want to make an appointment the stylist should offer a choice of days and times, most good salons have at least one late opening day a week for those clients who cannot get in during what are considered normal hours due to work or family commitments.

Be sure that if your appointment is to include any chemical process the stylist either carries out a skin patch test and hair strand test at the time of booking, or makes an appointment for a couple of days before hand to carry out the tests. These tests are essential, even if you have had the same chemical process before, for two reasons:

To ensure your hair is strong enough and in reasonable condition to take the chemical treatment without becoming too porous and breaking.
To ensure you have not developed a sensitivity or allergic reaction to the chemicals in the color or permanent waving solution.

Lastly, a good stylist should great you as an old friend, treat you with courtesy, advice you on how to look after your style between visits and be professional. He or she should never talk down to you or make you feel bad about they way you look after your hair at home.
© Copyright 2009 D L Robinson (dlrobinson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1625301-How-To-Find-The-Best-Hair-Stylist