*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1626189-Black-Rose-Ch-1
by Maya
Rated: E · Chapter · Other · #1626189
This is the first chapter. Plz rate and review.
Kyanna took a deep breath inhaling all the freshly cooked food the stands at the market held as displays. She chuckled and let out a grateful sigh. It was such a peaceful time and place. As she walked cat calls and wolf whistles were directed at her. The fallow toned girl ignored them with growing frustration. She continued her walk through the market and gathered what she needed to help her mother prepare dinner. Kya walked past a shop that she had never seen before in her life. It was small and the doorway was decorated with lots of vodoo beads. The shop seemed to call her inside for she could not resist entering it.
Inside the shop had shelves that were filled with amulets and other things. She looked around the small cluttered shop when an elderly woman came from the back room she was dressed as a shaman. The woman looked her up and down. "I knew you would come," she said grabbing her hand. Kya regarded her with suspicion and wary, not sure on how to react to it. "Come, you came to get your fortune read no?" the lady asked showing her to the back room.
Kyanna was about to answer "no" when she gave it another thought. It would be interesting to see how her destiny would turn out. Kya entered a small red room with a round table covered in purple tablecloth. She took her place in the chair closest to the door while the woman took the one across.
Minutes passed as Kya watched the shaman sit with her eyes closed chanting in a language she had never heard before. As the woman chanted a white aura emitted from her. A sharp pain seared through her right arm as a purple hue came from her birthmark on her right arm. Kya screamed at the top of her lungs holding her arm. "What's going on?" she asked gasping to retrieve the air she lost.
In a distorted voice the woman said, "You possess the gift of the ancients. What you feel is the awakening of your gift, do not be afraid." Kya sat holding her arm as the pain numbed to a dull pounding. The woman opened her eyes and interrupted Kyanna when she opened her mouth to speak. "Any questions you have will be answered little one."
Kyanna stood up and ran out of the room not bothering to say a word to the elderly lady and exited the store after grabbing the groceries.

Kyanna refused to think about what the old bat had said, she was obviously crazy and delusional. Kya glanced at her birthmark that extended down her arm. Did it really glow earlier or did she just imagine it? She shook her head and started to clean the collards she picked up. The sound of the front door let her know that either her mother or her father had just checked the mail. "Kyanna!" a husky voice called. It was her father. Kyanna wiped her hands on the apron and walked into the living room. A man in his late thirties with dark skin stood holding a letter in a white envelope with her name embroidered in gold along with the name of the sender.
Taking the letter she received a look of curiosity from the six foot eleven male. Kyanna opened the letter and read it aloud:

"Dear Miss Vines,
We would like to extend to you with full respect a letter of acceptance, if you shall choose to come, to the Althea Academy for Gifted teens.
We have been sent reports by your principal explaining your extraordinary talent. We wish to have you attend our academy.
Please call us at 645-0089 to tell us your decision.
Headmistress Abigail Farmer."
Kyanna folded the letter back up and looked at her father, searching for an ounce of approval or disapproval, but gave up on the futile attempt. She looked in the envelope and saw that there was a boat ticket good until the end of the month. "I guess they don't give you much of a choice Kya." her father said before exiting. "I'll call them first thing tomorrow." she heard him say.
© Copyright 2009 Maya (jbaby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1626189-Black-Rose-Ch-1