*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1626607-The-True-Story---Part-2
Rated: E · Script/Play · Action/Adventure · #1626607
The true story of the romance between Nathaniel and Rebecca - part two
EXT. SHERWOOD FOREST – SAME

Rupert and Nathaniel are hurrying excitedly through the forest, breaking through brush and climbing over logs, etc. Rupert sets a quick pace and Nathaniel follows as best he can.

                   RUPERT
         What a stroke of luck running into them so quickly! I was afraid we’d have to start a fire or something.

                   NATHANIEL
         Yes. Can you remember all the rules of initiation? I tried to keep up, but he was talking so quickly and there was so much to remember.

                   RUPERT
         No. But I don’t think it matters too much, as long as we bring something really good.

                   NATHANIEL
         I suppose you’re right.

                   RUPERT
         The main road should be up ahead somewhere. Once we hit that we can take it to the closest city.

                   NATHANIEL
         City? Why a city?

                   RUPERT
         Well, cities are big, aren’t they? There’s bound to be someone in a city with something of great value.

                   NATHANIEL
         Do you really think it’ll be that easy? I mean, I’m good at sneaking around, but to pull off a job at a castle or something would be quite impossible, I should think.

                   RUPERT
         Not impossible! Besides, the harder the task, the more the glory!

                   NATHANIEL
         Assuming one is successful.

                   RUPERT
         Yes, well, but you an’ me, we’re a great team! I’d say there’s nothing we can’t do!

                   NATHANIEL
         All the same…

They reach a main road and jump out into the middle of it. FATHER CARNEY is traveling down the road towards them. He hails them.

         CARNEY
         Good day to you, sirs. Where are you headed?

                   RUPERT
         We’re not sure yet, your holiness. Where does this road lead?

                   CARNEY
         In one mile you would reach Sneinton, in three, Nottingham.

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rupert)
         Three miles to Nottingham!

                   RUPERT
         (to Carney)
         Looks like we’re going to Nottingham!

                   NATHANIEL
         What?


                   CARNEY
         Well then, care to accompany me?

                   RUPERT
         We should be happy to, you fatherness. My name is Rupert, and my shy companion refers to himself as Nathaniel. What his real name is I don’t know.

Nathaniel rolls his eyes.

                   CARNEY
         And I am Father Carney.

They begin walking.

                   CARNEY
         When we reach Sneinton, there is a nice inn where we can stop and rest.

                   RUPERT
         Sounds lovely.

                             FADE TO:

EXT. SNEINTON INN – DAY

Grapp and the convoy arrive at the inn and disembark. Attendants run up and begin tending to the horses while two of the soldiers follow Grapp inside, the last one sitting by the cart.

                   CUT TO:

INT. SNEINTON INN – DAY

Grapp and the soldiers walk inside and sit down at a table. A young woman comes to wait on them.

                   GRAPP
         Just get us some water, m’dear.

                   SOLDIER 1
         Just water? Nothing stronger?

                   GRAPP
         Just water.

The girl nods and leaves. Grapp stretches out his legs beneath the table.



                             GRAPP
         Ah! Well, that’s the word of the journey over with. Now just two more miles to Nottingham.

                   SOLDIER 1
         Yeah, through Sherwood. I’m surprised we haven’t gotten mugged already!

                   GRAPP
         Shut your mouth! I won’t have that kind of talk.

Rupert and Nathaniel walk into the inn and sit down near the soldiers.

                   SOLDIER 1
         Seems to me that Robin Hood would have great interest in our passage through his territory.

                   GRAPP
         Well, good thing he doesn’t know or for sure we’d be robbed.

Rupert’s attention is turned to Grapp and his men.

                   RUPERT
         (in a whisper to Nathaniel)
         Did you hear that? Why would Robin Hood want to rob them? They must have something of great value on them!

                   NATHANIEL
         (in a whisper to Rupert)
         We can’t steal from them! Look at them, they’re soldiers!

Rupert shushes him and turns his ear back to Grapp.

                   SOLDIER 1
         I know I’d take it. I mean, if I was an outlaw. Who wouldn’t?

                   GRAPP
         You wanna get in trouble? Shut your mouth!

                   SOLDIER 2
         Quite frankly, we’ve made this trip so many times I’m beginning to be quite attached to our…
         (looks at Grapp)
         …er…cargo.

The two soldiers laugh.

                   GRAPP
         We’re taking that ‘cargo’ to Nottingham and you are to be completely un-involved. We’ve got to deliver that precious gem right to Lady Grantleigh without any complications – complications being you.

Rupert grabs Nathaniel’s sleeve in excitement.

                   RUPERT
         (in a whisper to Nathaniel)
         Did you hear that? Did you hear that? A gem! Nottingham! It’s perfect! C’mon!

Rupert stands up and pulls Nathaniel out of the inn.

                             CUT TO:

EXT. SNEINTON INN – SAME

In their hurry to get out of the inn, Rupert and Nathaniel run straight into Father Carney.

                   CARNEY
         Refreshed so quickly? Are you ready to be on our way so fast?

Rupert gets flustered, trying to think of an excuse.

                   NATHANIEL
         Father, we have decided that this inn is not suitable for our souls.

                   RUPERT
         That’s right! It’s very…uh…debaucher-ous…

                   CARNEY
         (surprised)
         Really? That is very strange. I have always before found it to be a most tame place. How very strange.

                   NATHANIEL
         This is all as true as it is strange; Nay, it is ten times true, for truth is truth to the end of reckoning.

                   CARNEY
         That’s quite good.

                   RUPERT
         Where’d you get that from?

                   NATHANIEL
         (reflecting)
         I don’t know, actually.

                   RUPERT
         Anyway, dear fatherilessness, we really should be on our way. I would very much like to reach Nottingham in an hour.

                   CARNEY
         There’s very little chance of that, I’m afraid, with the fogs and winding roads. But we may make haste if you wish to.

                   RUPERT
         We do wish it, we do.

Rupert pushes him along, Nathaniel following closely, back into Sherwood Forest. After they’ve gone a little distance, Nathaniel comes up close to Rupert.

                   NATHANIEL
         (in a loud whisper)
         Why are we hurrying so much?

Father Carney hears but doesn’t respond.

                   RUPERT
         (in a loud whisper)
         So we can set up an ambush for those soldiers.

                   NATHANIEL
         (continuous)
         But what about Father Carney? What do we tell him?

                   RUPERT
         (continuous)
         We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

                   NATHANIEL
         We have come to it!

                   RUPERT
         What do you mean?

                   NATHANIEL
         We can’t go all the way to Nottingham if we want to ambush them, we’ll have to stop somewhere along the way. So what do we tell him?

                   CARNEY
         Perhaps the truth.

                   RUPERT
         (flustered)
         Oh, dear holiness, we were only saying how sorry we were, but that we have to part sooner than we anticipated.

                   CARNEY
         (chuckling)
         Well, it is no concern of mine. I only wish you well, fellow travelers. I hope to see you again someday.

                   NATHANIEL
         Thank you very much, Father Carney.

                   RUPERT
         Yes, thanks awfully.

                   CARNEY
         Just know this, our order of brothers will always be a safe haven for you, should you need it. Ask at the gate for me, and I shall welcome you with open arms.

                   NATHANIEL
         We do appreciate your kindness.

                   CARNEY
         My dear Nathaniel. Do take care of yourself, and your friend.

                   RUPERT
         We will, we will. Fare you well.

                   CARNEY
         Farewell.

                   NATHANIEL
         Farewell, good father.

Nathaniel and Rupert wait as Father Carney turns and slowly walks on down the road and soon disappears around a bend.

                   NATHANIEL
         I do hope he gets to Nottingham safely.

                   RUPERT
         Oh, come on. We were slowing him down. He’s glad to be rid of us I should think.

                   NATHANIEL
         He’s a good man. We shouldn’t have blown him off so quickly. He might have been useful.

                   RUPERT
         Useful? He’s a friar!

                   NATHANIEL
         But he’s not as stupid as you think he is. He probably already knows what we’re up to.
         (pauses)
         He’s a good man.

                   RUPERT
         All right, all right! Let’s get on with setting up this ambush.

They begin looking around the road and at the trees.

                             CUT TO:

EXT. SHERWOOD FOREST – DAY

Grapp, the soldiers, and the carriage are making their way through the forest. Grapp is keeping a wary eye on everything. The soldiers are acting very bored, continually pointing at things and laughing, like children. Suddenly, they come upon Nathaniel, who is standing in the center of the road. They stop before him.

         GRAPP
         Who are you, stranger? Answer quick, I have a long way to go still today.

Nathaniel doesn’t appear to have heard, though his head is slightly cocked, as if he was listening. From a tree nearby, a whistle comes floating to their ears. Nathaniel then turns to Grapp.

                   NATHANIEL
         I’m sorry, did you say something?

                   GRAPP
         Yes, I bloody well did! Who are you, and why are you blocking my way?

                   NATHANIEL
         Oh, I beg your pardon, have I not introduced myself?

                   GRAPP
         No, you have not!

                   NATHANIEL
         (whistles)
         I am Robin Hood.

The soldiers start and begin to shift in their saddles nervously.

                   GRAPP
         Robin Hood?
         
                   NATHANIEL
         Yes, I suppose you’ve heard of me?

                   GRAPP
         Yes, I have. I’ve also heard that you wear Lincoln green and are in love with Maid Marion Fitzwalter.

                   NATHANIEL
         (in mock seriousness)
         I’ve also heard that. But you know how tongues wag.

                   GRAPP
         So what do you want?

                   NATHANIEL
         What does Robin Hood usually want?

                   GRAPP
         I don’t believe you are Robin Hood! Where are all your ‘Merry Men’?

Nathaniel whistles again, then stands waiting. A bush to the right of the soldiers rustles, scaring them silly. Another whistle from the tree is heard, and more bushes rustle.

                   NATHANIEL
         Wanna take a chance?

                   SOLDIER 1
         I don’t.
         
He nudges Soldier 2 and they turn their horses around and bolt. The third soldier driving the cart jumps off and runs after them, leaving Grapp alone. He draws his sword.

                   GRAPP
         You won’t get away without a fight!

                   NATHANIEL
         I relish a fight.

Grapp jumps off his horse and rushes on Nathaniel. Before he can reach him, a net falls on him from the tree where the whistle was heard, knocking the sword from his hand. Nathaniel lunges forward and grabs the sword while Rupert jumps down from the tree.

                   NATHANIEL
         Quick, tie him up!

                   RUPERT
         Uh, right.

Rupert kneels down and begins tying up Grapp.

                   NATHANIEL
         Go look in that carriage thing for the loot.

                   RUPERT
         You go look in that carriage thing for the loot, I’m busy!

Nathaniel walks over to the cart and throws open the door, revealing an empty space.

                   NATHANIEL
         (looking quickly through the cart)
         I don’t see anything. Maybe you should search him.

A branch cracking in the forest catches their attention, and they see Rebecca running away.

                   GRAPP
         (yelling to Rebecca)
         Run, M’Lady!

                   RUPERT
         Catch her, Nathaniel!

Nathaniel begins to run after her.

                   GRAPP
         That’s a strange name to call Robin Hood.

                   RUPERT
         You shut up!

                   GRAPP
         Why don’t you get one of your invisible men to catch her?

                   RUPERT
         If you don’t shut your mouth…

Nathaniel quickly gains on Rebecca, and grabs her arm to stop her. She tries to twist away, but Nathaniel keeps a firm grip; through the struggle he pulls her to the ground to keep her still.

                   NATHANIEL
         (surprised)
         It’s a girl!

                   RUPERT
         (rolling his eyes)
         Of course it is! Has she got the jewel?

                   GRAPP
         That what?

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rebecca)
         Have you got the jewel?

                   REBECCA
         What jewel?

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rupert)
         She wants to know what jewel!

                   RUPERT
         The jewel their guarding, idiot!

                   GRAPP
         Jewel?

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rebecca)
         The jewel you’re guarding.

                   REBECCA
         What jewel we’re guarding?

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rupert)
         What jewel they’re guarding?

                   RUPERT
         (to Nathaniel)
         The jewel they’re taking to Lacy Grantleigh in Nottingham!

Grapp suddenly realizes their mistake and begins laughing wildly.

                   RUPERT
         (to Grapp)
         What’s with you?

Grapp can’t reply because of his overwhelming laughter.

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rebecca)
         Are you taking a jewel to Lady Grantleigh in Nottingham?

                   REBECCA
         No. Lady Grantleigh is my mother, and I’m meeting her in Nottingham.

                   NATHANIEL
         Oh no.

                   RUPERT
         (to Grapp)
         If you don’t tell me what’s so funny, I shall do something desperate and dramatic!

Grapp continues laughing.

                   NATHANIEL
         (to Rupert)
         Rupert! We must confer privately, right away!

                   RUPERT
         (to Nathaniel)
         Right. Bring her over and we’ll talk.

Nathaniel gets up and pulls Rebecca over to where Rupert is kneeling over Grapp.

                   RUPERT
         Just sit her down here and I’ll tie her hands to his so we can talk.

Nathaniel sets her down beside Grapp and Rupert ties them together. Then they walk a short distance away, keeping eyes on their captives.

                   NATHANIEL
         (in low tones)
         I think we’ve made a terrible mistake.

                   RUPERT
         (in low tones)
         In what way?

                   NATHANIEL
         (continuous)
         This ‘jewel’ you heard them walking about? Well, I’m pretty sure…
         (indicates Rebecca)
         …it’s her.

                   RUPERT
         (continuous)
         Well, but that’s not a jewel, that’s a girl!

                   NATHANIEL
         Exactly.

There’s a beat as Rupert takes in the situation.

                   RUPERT
         You mean…I misunderstood them at the inn?

                   NATHANIEL
         That’s what it looks like.

Another beat.

                   RUPERT
         Oh dear.

                   NATHANIEL
         Yes.

                   RUPERT
         So there’s no jewel?

                   NATHANIEL
         No.

                   RUPERT
         That’s wonderful.

                   NATHANIEL
         I’m sorry.

                   RUPERT
         What do we do?

                   NATHANIEL
         I don’t know.

Another beat.

                   RUPERT
         Hey! We could always take her anyway!

                   NATHANIEL
         The girl? What for?

                   RUPERT
         For step one!

                   NATHANIEL
         But she’s a girl!

                   RUPERT
         Exactly!

                   NATHANIEL
         Is that…ethical?

                   RUPERT
         Why not? I bet with her we’d get in as quick as all get out! How many people bring in a live person for step one, do you think? I’ll bet you not many.

                   NATHANIEL
         I don’t know…Can we leave the old man behind?

                   RUPERT
         No fear! I’m not taking that old bag anywhere!

                   NATHANIEL
         Well…all right.

                   RUPERT
         Good show! Let’s be off then.

They begin walking back to Grapp and Rebecca.

                   RUPERT
         You know, Nathaniel, that Robin Hood play was quite successful! No, I mean it! You were marvelous! Have you ever considered the stage? I wouldn’t have believed that was you if I didn’t already know it!

                   NATHANIEL
         (blushing)
         Well, I suppose it wasn’t all that bad.

                   RUPERT
         You I think there’s more to you than meets the eye.

                   NATHANIEL
         No, there isn’t really.

They stop in front of their two hostages.

                   RUPERT
         We’ve talked things over.

                   GRAPP
         Bravo.

Rupert kneels and unties Rebecca.

                   REBECCA
         What were you talking about?

                   NATHANIEL
         About you, Miss…Miss…?

                   REBECCA
         Rebecca.

                   GRAPP
         M’Lady! You shouldn’t stoop to even tell them your name!

                   REBECCA
         I’m all right. Leave me alone. I don’t think I’m the one to be worried about.

                   RUPERT
         (standing up)
         And there, miss, you are in the right. You…
         (helping Rebecca up)
         …shall come with us. Your charming chaperone, unfortunately, must remain behind.

                   GRAPP
         I protest!

                   RUPERT
         Over-ruled! Now be quiet!

                   REBECCA
         You can’t just leave him! What if no one comes by here for days? He’ll starve to death!

                   RUPERT
         He’ll be a lot safer than if he comes with us.

                   REBECCA
         No! I can’t leave him! You don’t understand!

                   RUPERT
         You’ve got no choice!

Rupert begins pulling her down the road.

                   NATHANIEL
         Why don’t we take the horses?

                   RUPERT
         (stopping)
         Wonderful idea!

They begin fixing the horses.

                   NATHANIEL
         Wait a minute, why don’t we take the cart?

                   RUPERT
         Brilliant idea! Quick! Hitch up that horse!

Rupert sits on the driver’s seat with the reigns, while Nathaniel sits inside watching Rebecca. He smiles awkwardly, but she only glares at him.

                             CUT TO:
© Copyright 2009 Hammie Vee (alix.toe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1626607-The-True-Story---Part-2