*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627256-Hiruma-Ameno-ooi---Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Relationship · #1627256
It's a story about a man who finds love in the right place at the wrong time in his life.
Hiruma Ameno ooi

Chapter 4: “ Departure Matsuri”

It was a chilly and misty morning outside the village, in the small patch of forest before de red bridge, where in the thick oak branches Maki and Katsu sat, along with the other female figure that accompanied Maki in the market place before. The teenage girl was wrapped around Katsu’s arms, as she layed her head on his chest.

Female2: Katsu-kun, I’m so glad I can hug you again!
Maki: But you almost broke his ribs the minute you saw him, let him go already Momiji!
Momiji: Maki-chan you’re just jealous!
Maki: Jealous?
Momiji: Because I’m not afraid to show my emotions in a warm hug! Right Katsu-kun?
Katsu: It’s alright Momiji-chan, Maki already greeted me with a hug of her own.

He smirked at her as he passed his hand over his cheek. Maki blushed and sent her gaze over the bushes that lay beneath them. 

Maki: So… what’s been going through your mind? Have you thought of anything to solve the village’s current situation?          
Katsu: Yes, I have. I won’t run away anymore. I’ll face Asuka.

Maki lifted her gaze to Katsu’s determined sentence. He looked dead serious. As he said the words, Momiji laughed with joy and hugged Katsu even thighter.

Momiji: Yay! We’re going back home!
Maki: But not so quick! We need to have a plan, a strategy!
Katsu: It’s okay. We’ll work on it while we’re here…
Maki: Here? I thought we would be on the road home planning how to take the village back…
Momiji: Is it because of her?

Mojimi looked at him with mournful eyes and slowly got out from his embrace. Katsu scaped from the girls accusing gazes, jumping down from the tree to the bushes below.

Maki: Hey! Don’t run away, we need to make a strategy!
Katsu: Stay at Ozuka’s Inn and I’ll go visit you to plan it, okay?
Momiji: But Katsu-kun!

They heard him walk away back to the entrance of the village.

Maki: He’s such a jerk.
Momiji: He fell in love again, huh?   

Katsu entered through the little door next to the Okashi shop. He was surprised no sweet scents filled up the entrance hall, and was intrigued by a knocking noise coming from the back yard. He walked in on Yukari kneeling on the ground, hammering together a wooden box. She smiled at him, nails coming from her mouth, as she put the hammer away and passed to the next board.

Katsu: Do you need any help with that Yukari-san?
Yukari: Oh I’m fine Katsu-san. How is your friend?
Katsu: She’s fine, thanks for asking… She’ll be staying here for a while, at Ozuka’s inn.
Yukari: Oh, that’s good. She’ll be able to enjoy the matsuri.

Katsu sat beside her, looking at the pile of boards and the pack of nails beside the kneeling Yukari.

Katsu: You’re building this… box… for the matsuri?
Yukari: It’s my stand. Last year’s is in really bad shape, so I decided to work on a new one this year.
Katsu: From scratch?
Yukari: Yes, from scratch. What do you think Katsu-san?
Katsu: It’s doing good. When does the matsuri start?
Yukari: In three days.
Katsu: Are you sure you don’t need any help?
Yukari: I’m fine Katsu-san. Thanks for your concern.
Katsu: Then you keep working on your stand, while I make lunch today
Yukari: What? Katsu-kun…

He smiled at her and got up, walking to the kitchen across the living room, as she threw away the hammer and spit out the nails from her lips to follow him.

Yukari: No, no, Katsu-kun, you don’t have to do anything… I’m the one uncharged of…
Katsu: …of everything around here. So please focus on what’s really important for you now, like making the best stand for the masturi. Besides, I’m not such a bad cook.

And saying that, he kissed her on the cheek and went into the kitchen, as she stood surprised and embarrassed. Katsu started cooking as Yukari went back to hammering. Around noon Katsu and Yukari sat at the dining table, as Yukari smiled at the plate served before her.

Yukari: Well, this looks really good…
Katsu: I hope you like it.

Yukari took a mouthful of the rice and the salmon. Katsu started too, looking with keen impatience at Yukari for the veredict.

Katsu: So? What does the chef say?
Yukari: It’s amazing. I’ve never tasted salmon like this before. How do you cook it?
Katsu: Secret family recipe.
Yukari: I thought you were bluffing about cooking! I really thought I would have to clean up a mess in the kitchen…
Katsu: I had to learn how to cook, just like everyone else in the village. My weekly chore was to cook a meal for the entire clan, so imagine what would happen if it didn’t taste good.
Yukari: Very unhappy ninjas I guess.
Katsu: Right, and even harder training afterwards.

They both finished their plates and Katsu didn’t allow Yukari inside the kitchen, shoving her out to the living room. Yukari went to pick up Kenta from school, as Katsu secretly started making dinner. Yukari was furious when she found out Katsu had cut his hand by accident when he was chopping vegetables for the soup; forever banning him from the kitchen. He sat at the dining table with Kenta, his arms crossed and looking at his own bored reflection on the clean wooden table. Kenta could do nothing else but giggle at Katsu. Next morning, as Katsu walked out the door Yukari held him back, and by her tone she still seemed angry at him.

Yukari: I’ll be off all day and wont return until dusk. Kenta will stay at a friend’s house.
Katsu: Would you like me to pick him up after work?
Yukari: If you would be so kind.

And with a fickle smile, she walked out the door and rushed to the village’s entrance. Katsu sighed, and shutting the door, he walked to the construction site.
He didn’t return after nightfall, with Kenta already asleep on his arms from playing all afternoon at his friend’s house. He opened the door, hoping to find Yukari waiting for them in the living room, but the whole house was pitch dark.  He put Kenta down on his bed and went downstairs to the kitchen to wash some dishes, but the kitchen was impeccable. He turned to look at the wooden construction on the back yard, it now looked more like the stand Yukari wanted, all it needed was the board for the table, the sing at the top and some color. He found himself sitting on the living room, waiting for Yukari to come back home, and just before he stood up to go and look for her; the door opened and Yukari came in with loads of paper bags she could barely hold.

Yukari: Oh, Katsu-san. I thought you would be asleep by now.

Katsu got up immediately and helped her carry inside the kitchen most of the paper bags, laying them on the kitchen table.

Katsu: I was about to go out and search for you.
Yukari: I’m so sorry but I had to travel to a nearby village to get some special ingredients for the matsuri.

Yukari started to organize the bags and packs of berries, milk and flour on the closets over her head. Katsu then folded the paper bags and put them on the table.

Katsu: And what kind of pastries are you going to make with them?
Yukari: Well, mostly different kinds of puddings and ice creams; that are best for this time of year.
Katsu: That sounds great.
Yukari: Yes, I’m sure you’ll love them. And what about Kenta?
Katsu: He’s knocked out. He fell asleep on my back on the way home. He played all the afternoon and had a huge meal, so he couldn’t resist any longer.
Yukari: I’m glad, thank you so much Katsu-san.

They finished organizing everything Yukari brought and then walked out of the kitchen, Katsu turned upstairs but Yukari didn’t follow him and instead she headed to the back yard.

Katsu: Yukari-san?
Yukari: It just needs some brush-ups. It won’t take me long. You go upstairs and get some rest Katsu-san, have a good night.

And she smiled reassuringly before disappearing into the dark yard to grab the hammer, the nails and a board. Katsu refused to move from the place he stood. Instead of going upstairs he proceeded behind Yukari, sitting next to her on the ground.

Yukari: Why aren’t you upstairs?
Katsu: The same reason you aren’t up there either.
Yukari: I need to finish this tonight.
Katsu: Tonight? Isn’t the festival in two more days?
Yukari: I was wrong, it starts the day after tomorrow; so I’m one day short.
Katsu: Then let me help you with the stand.
Yukari: No, you must be so tired from working all day. 
Katsu: No, not at all. Yukari-san…

He knelt next to her holding the same hand that held the hammer and was about to hit the wooden box again.

Katsu: You need to stop doing everything by yourself…
Yukari: I don’t…
Katsu: Yes you do. You’re just too proud to let anyone help you.

Yukari’s cheeks burned as she threw away the nails, sitting next to the wooden box and looking very offended at Katsu.

Yukari: Who are you to tell me I’m proud?
Katsu: No-one, I’m no-one to judge you. I’m just worried because you might push yourself too hard; and it maybe a result of stubbornness.
Yukari: First you tell me I’m proud… and now I’m stubborn?

Her cheeks still burned and now her eyes were watering, as she roughly took back the hand that wielded the hammer; she threw it away and furiously walked out the backyard.

Katsu: Yukari-san…  I’m sorry I…

But before he could finish his apology she had already stormed upstairs and shut the door to her bedroom very loudly. Katsu remained kneeling and looking at the hammer and nails on the floor.

Yukari walked down the stairs to the kitchen feeling horribly embarrassed and afraid she might meet with Katsu on his way out to work. She felt stupid for the way she acted with him last night. She shouldn’t have snapped at him the way she did; she in fact was acting proud and stubbornly. She just didn’t want to be the poor widow who couldn’t do anything for herself. She had lived off of pity for too long during her childhood. But the way she met Nobu, the way she met Katsu, she had been in distress and they had had to come and save her. Why couldn’t she just let go and let someone else worry for her? She shook her head at the thought as she started to mix a couple of eggs in a bowl, and found the clean dishes of Katsu’s breakfast next to the sink. She felt relieved that she didn’t have to face Katsu, so she continued with breakfast and preparing the ingredients she had brought the day before. After all she only had that day to make all the cakes, puddings, cupcakes and ice creams for the matsuri the next day. The only time she would be able to step out of the kitchen would be when she had to pick up Kenta from school. Katsu asked permission to leave early so he could visit Maki and Momiji at the inn, hoping they would actually be there. He found their room with Ozuka’s help, and sat right down to mark the acting plan to take back the village.
         
Maki: Alright, then our strategy will work like this. Momiji and I will get rid of all the security at the entrance, distracting them as you go inside…
Momiji: What about the prisoners?
Maki: Once we’re in we’ll set them free and then go look for Asuka with Katsu.
Katsu: No, I will go on my own. You already have your hands full with the prisoners.
Momiji: But Katsu-kun…

Maki placed her hand on Momiji’s shoulder so she wouldn’t plead anymore. This was Katsu’s battle and they should respect it.

Maki: So, should we leave now?

The girls looked at Katsu as he intentionally kept his mouth shut. He closed his eyes and only muttered two words with a little smirk on his face.

Katsu: Yukari’s matsuri.
Maki: You’re holding this up for a matsuri?
Momiji: You are so in love Katsu-kun!
Maki: You always fall too hard too fast Katsu
Katsu: I don’t care; I’m helping Yukari tomorrow. So we’ll leave after the masturi. Just one more day, okay?

The two girls sighed and nodded as Katsu layed on one of the beds.

Katsu: And about the love part…
Maki: Oh, so you’re going to deny it?
Katsu: No. I’m actually gonna admit it.

Momij chuckled as Maki’s jaw dropped in disbelief of what he had just said.

Maki: What has gotten into you? You’re jollier than usual; you even admit what you’re feeling! You’re even risking your village’s welfare for a crush!

Momiji panicked at the sound of Maki’s scold. Katsu closed his eyes and remained silent.

Maki: You know what? Do whatever you want! We don’t need you to rescue them!

Maki got up quickly, as her voice tone equally raised, sitting on the windowsill as she crossed her arms and looked angrily at Katsu.

Maki: We can do it by ourselves, right Momiji?
Momiji: Maki-chan…
Katsu: Go get yourselves killed then

Katsu got up from the bed and walked out the room, shutting the door loudly. When he had chance to breathe again he was now walking down the main street, bumping into people unconsciously. He walked slowly and stopped in front of the Okashi, watching Yukari cross from one side to another as she tended the many customers. He smiled at her, contemplating how her delicate hands served the sweets, how her dark hair shone with the evening lights and her bright green eyes gleamed at the sight of people enjoying the pastries she prepared. Her green eyes stopped for a few seconds on Katsu, and with a slight blush, she turned them back again on her customers. Katsu kept smiling and entered the house. He was surprised Yukari asked him to help her with the dishes and bringing back and forth the fresh cupcakes from the oven to the stand. The customer activity ended after 9 pm when Yukari and Katsu could sit down with Kenta in the living room.

Katsu: You should go upstairs to bed with Kenta. Both of you can barely keep your eyes open. 
Yukari: Well, that sounds inviting… Right Kenta?

The little boy yawned and nodded, hugging her and putting his head on her chest.

Yukari: Okay, time to go to bed.

She whispered, getting up and carrying the child upstairs to bed. Katsu got up after her and stood at the beginning of the stairs.

Katsu: You better stay up there. You need to rest.
Yukari: Okay!

She answered from the bedroom, as Katsu smiled and went inside the kitchen to put away the dishes.

Katsu had been knocking on Yukari’s door for the past 10 minutes, until she finally answered and opened with a very sleepy look on her face.

Katsu: Good morning Yukari-san. Did you get enough rest?
Yukari: Good morning…

Yukari nodded, yawing a little and looking with curiosity at the tray on Katsu’s hands.

Katsu: Here’s your breakfast Yukari-san.

He handed her the tray, which she received half awaken and half embarrassed, entering her room and sitting on the bed, still looking at the steaming breakfast before her.

Katsu: Well, dig in. I’ll see you at noon to set everything for the matsuri.

Katsu smiled at her as he continued his way downstairs and walked out the door to work, when immediately after he left Yukari rushed downstairs.

Yukari: The stand, the stand! I can’t believe I forgot about the stand!

She got to the backyard and her stomach froze when she didn’t find the unfinished wooden box. She turned back and stumbled with a tall wooden structure, colored in blue, purple and green. She couldn’t believe it. It was her finished stand. She touched the smoothed wood and her eyes watered as she read the “Okashi” sign on the top of it. She sat down on the ground, cleaning the tears off her eyes as she smiled of pure joy, wondering how could she ever thank Katsu. Yukari had the rest of the morning to bake more cookies and cupcakes, and to check on the ice cream in the fridge. By noon she had lunch ready and everything packed to take up to the temple for the celebration. When she heard Katsu come in through the door, her stomach couldn’t stay still, her hands were trembling and she could feel her cheeks burning. She had no idea of what to say or how to act as his steps came to the kitchen. But as soon as he smiled through the door, she ran to him and hugged him.

Katsu: How was your morning?
Yukari: Thank you, thank you, thank you so much Katsu-san!
Katsu: So you discovered my little project…
Yukari: It’s wonderful, just wonderful… I can’t thank you enough.
Katsu: I’m just glad to help you Yukari-san.

He had never seen her smile so broadly and her eyes gleam so brightly. She kissed his cheek right before letting go of the embrace, making Katsu smile back to her with a slight blush.

Katsu: And Kenta?
Yukari: The teacher will take all of the children so they can meet at the temple with their parents.
Katsu: Alright, so what are we waiting for?
Yukari: We can have lunch first.

They quickly ate and Katsu rushed to Ozuka’s inn for the cart where they were going to carry everything up to the temple. Yukari placed everything inside and saw it wasn’t heavy for her to pull it up, but Katsu refused to let her carry the cart, he carefully placed the stand inside the cart and started pulling it towards the temple; which was located near the entrance to the graveyard. Yukari walked beside him, leading the way up through a small rural path hidden in the balcony of the graveyard. Katsu climbed up with no problem as Yukari watched him amused, entering through the tall gates of the temple and now heading to the place all the stands were settling down. Katsu lifted the stand from the cart and accommodated it in the chalk-drawn square on the stone floor of the temple square. Yukari then started organizing all the pastries on the stand as neatly as possible.

Kenta: Mommy! Katsu-kun!

Kenta ran towards the stand and hugged Yukari filled with excitement. She raised him up and twirled with him before Katsu swept him from her arms and made him fly through the air. The boy giggled as Katsu tickled him slightly while putting him down on the floor.

Katsu: Well, what should we do now to help you?

Yukari drew from her pocket a small bag and handed it over to Katsu, approaching him and whispering kindly into his ear.

Yukari: Please go spend this with Kenta. He hasn’t had the chance to really enjoy the matsuri, and I don’t want to keep him here while he can have fun!
Katsu: Okay, but it’s on me, and we’ll come later to watch the fireworks, deal?

She nodded, smiling after she kissed him on the cheek and Katsu returned the small bag, to take Kenta’s hand and wonder into the stands placed on the temple square. They both enjoyed playing goldfish scooping and eating takoyaki as they walked throughout the endless booths that sold souvenirs and held sumo matches. The fireworks started with a shower of red and green over the dark sky, making all the stars invisible for a few minutes. The three of them sat on a log almost at the end of the plateau where the temple was built. It was near midnight and Kenta was still playing with his friends. Katsu was enjoying one of Yukari’s ice creams as he watched how the fireworks faded away. He suddenly felt Yukari’s head sitting on his shoulder. He saw how she closed her eyes, took a deep breath and smiled before she whispered.

Yukari: What a wonderful day.
Katsu: It sure was.
Yukari: All thanks to you Katsu-san.
Katsu: You made the incredible desserts, so I guess it’s all thanks to…
Yukari: No, seriously Katsu-san. I wouldn’t have been able to make my own stand, or even put it here by myself. Kenta wouldn’t have been happier. I’m just glad I met you that rainy morning.
Katsu: I’m glad to have met both of you too Yukari-san. I don’t know what would I have done if I hadn’t met you. 
         
Yukari smiled again, as Katsu slowly embraced her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Yukari: Katsu-san, I wanted to tell you something…

But before she could continue speaking they heard Kenta’s plead for help, as Katsu broke the hug and jumped the log in search for the child, who was playing in the woods behind them. He submerged in the darkness, but didn’t hear anything else, only his own breathing and Yukari’s voice calling Kenta. He then heard Yukari scream, and had to rush back to the end of the woods, to find three black-hooded shapes holding Kenta and Yukari with sharp knives pointing at their throats. Without uttering a word Katsu rapidly pulled out his sword from its pouch on his back. The figures stood still, as Yukari and Kenta watched Katsu in horror.
         
Figure 1: Having fun pretending it’s family time, eh Katsu?
Figure 2: Asuka wants to know what’s taking you so long.
Figure 3: And she wants you back in the village.
Figure 1: So this is just a warning.
Figure 2: And you’ll go or we’ll take them as our little puppet toys, understood?

And just as quickly as they spoke they had disappeared with the fumes of the burnt fireworks. Yukari and Kenta fell down on the floor, as both hugged each other and Yukari kissed Kenta’s crying face. Katsu pulled in his sword and then knelt next to them, holding both inside his arms. 

Katsu: I can’t put you in any harm. I have to go. Right now.
Yukari: But Katsu-san…
Katsu: If I continue to stay here you won’t be safe.
Yukari: With you we will be Katsu-san!
Katsu: I need to solve this first, okay? Only then… can I be here with both of you.
Yukari: But…. But… Kenta will miss you so much…
Katsu: And you? Will you miss me?

Yukari looked away, hiding her blushing cheeks from Katsu’s sight, still holding a crying Kenta in her arms.

Yukari: Of c-course I will Katsu-san. You’ve only helped us and I will miss that a lot.
Katsu: Then I promise to come back as soon as possible.

He kissed Kenta’s fluffy hair and then Yukari’s forehead, before he jumped to the nearest tree and started making his way out of the temple and heading towards Ozuka’s inn. He found Maki and Momiji waiting for him at the graveyard.

Maki: Did you see Asuka’s minions?
Katsu: Not only did I see them; but they threatened to kill Yukari and Kenta, if I didn’t show up at the village soon. 
Maki: I hate to say this, but I warned you…
Katsu: Yes, I know. Sorry for not listening. So let’s get going, we need to go to the moors first.
Momiji: What? Why do we need to go there first?
Katsu: Okay, I need to go there first while you head to the village.
Maki: And why?
Katsu: I need to speak to my sensei before I face Asuka.
© Copyright 2009 Paibon09 (paibon09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627256-Hiruma-Ameno-ooi---Chapter-4