*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627822-Butterflies
by Wendy
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1627822
Love is like a butterfly.
Butterflies



Love is like a butterfly, it goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes.

Love is like a butterfly; hold it too tight, it'll crush. Hold it too loose, it'll fly.

Author Unknown



I wonder what that person was thinking when she thought that, or was the author a he? I wonder if the author had experienced the quote first-hand and had thought of it retrospectively.  I have always been fascinated with butterflies, ever since I was a child. My friends would think me weird when I literally stop and stare as they are fluttering by, seeming to have not a care in the world.

I think what enchants me about them the most is that nobody would look at a caterpillar and believe it would turn into a graceful butterfly. I think all of us would like to change at least one thing about ourselves; those who don’t are either lying or just really lucky.

I remember reading somewhere that you can chase a butterfly and never catch it but if you stay still, the butterfly will come to you. I believe this to be very misleading. It may work on butterflies but such advice would not work in real life. If you never do something to get what you want, you risk losing it to someone who is more willing to chase. Yes, you might fail anyway but at the end of the day at least you can say you’ve tried.

I look across the field to a lone sycamore tree; beneath it was a silhouette leaning against the tree, staring at the fading sun. The butterflies in my stomach were in an uncontrollable frenzy. I took a deep breathe as I try and conquer the nerves. Step by step I walk towards the sycamore tree, my breathe coming in shallow wheezes.

About two metres away, I stopped, hesitating when I see his serene composure. Would he be annoyed that I have interrupted him? I took a deep breathe as I commanded my feet to cover the remaining steps to the sycamore tree.

“It's beautiful isn't it?” He turned around and gave me a dazzling smile. With his back to the fading sun, his brown hair appeared almost gold, his warm green and gold flecked eyes twinkled mischievously, his smile was so infectious I couldn't help but return it. I suddenly realised he was waiting for me to say something.

“Uh, yeah I guess so?” It was meant to sound confident, but came out as a stammered question. I could feel the blush that was creeping up from my neck to my cheeks. I turned away from him so he couldn't see. His eyes were still trained on me, I could almost feel them even when I couldn't see them.

Slowly, a hand reached out towards my left cheek, its warmth radiated throughout my body as he purposely turned me towards him. His dazzlingly smile from earlier had been replaced by an amused quirk of his lips. His eyes watched me inquisitively as I slowly rose my eyes to meet his.

The sun had already set but the warmth was still evident in the summer air. The butterflies in my stomach had settled down and all I could think was, If he kisses me I hope to god I don't faint. Slowly he leaned forward as I tried to keep breathing. His soft lips brushed mine as though testing the waters, then  he kissed me again. This time more lingering and sensuous. I felt like I was drowning in pure bliss, everything blurred together, I felt as though there was nothing existed in that moment but he and I and the butterflies fluttering around us like curious observers. 
© Copyright 2009 Wendy (wendy2906 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1627822-Butterflies