*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1628060-An-Anniversary-Never-Forgotten
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Korie
Rated: · Short Story · Drama · #1628060
A very romantic story of a very young and in love couple.
It was October twentieth of 2006 when I fell in love with him. I knew that I was going to spend the rest of my life with him when I first felt his arms embrace me. He was everything that I looked for in a guy: nice( not only to me but to everyone), knew exactly how to turn my day around ( sometimes it wasn’t always to a good mood), but most of all, he knew just how to touch me. When he held me, it was like the rest of the world melted around us.

Anyway, every year for our anniversary he took me to a beach where we rented a cabin for the weekend. There, he catered to my every want. Voluntarily, I might add. For example, he would make me breakfast in bed, cook me every meal, and the works: a massage.

Every year is was the same schedule but somehow he managed to add a little twist each and every time. Like last year, for example. He rented a condo on the beach instead of a cabin. He was just so thoughtful and loving. He always knew how to make me laugh when no on e could make me smile.

On the Friday, as soon as we got to our cabin, he cooked my favorite dinner. He must have snuck out the night before to fully stock our cabin for the weekend because we never had to leave the cabin to go to the grocery store. He also had a table set up very romantically. Two chairs, a bouquet of flowers in the center, and dim lighting. It was just the perfect setting. After dinner, he took me outside for a walk along the beach. We walked hand in hand. The sun had just set which set the perfect mood. Somewhere down the beach, there would be a blanket and a picnic basket with chocolate cake inside. There, we had dessert under the star-lit sky, which we both loved. While we ate our delicious cake, we talked about the different times we came down to this very beach. After the cake, we cuddled and kissed beneath the stars.

Saturday, we rented a canoe and paddled to as far as our arms allowed. That was always fun because I love being on the water. The sound of the water always soothed me. I guess it was just the swooshing sound it made when the oars pushed the water from it’s position. When we got back to land, we returned the canoe and its accessories and walked back to the cabin. Next, he made us lunch. While we ate, we had a plain casual conversation of nothing in particular. That night, even though we were fully stocked with food, he would take me to a very fancy restaurant. Most of the time we went out to different places. Rarely would we go to the same one.

Sunday was the most lazy day of them all. Basically, all we did was sleep late, and when we did wake up, he made me breakfast in bed. After breakfast, he took my tray to the kitchen and came back in bed. We cuddled until we decided to actually get out of bed. We left around lunch time and be home around suppertime. We would then return to our normal lives the day after. Which consisted of stupid people at work and stress.

Well this year, he taking me again. I am so exited! I rush home from work to hurry and pack my bags. I get the usual call of approval that he is down the road. With anticipation of what he will do different this year, I grab my bags and walk out the door to a crash. I scream. I can barely see what is right in from of my face. If my eyes are not lying to me, I see two cars that are smashed together by the front bumper. One of the cars is a Honda Civic and ----- NO! Please! Let my eyes be lying to my brain! I blink to make my eyes clear. The other car is his. I can’t feel my legs. I drop to my knees sobbing. I am in a numb shock.

When I get a hold of myself, I run back to the house to call 911. I sit in my living room trying not to think of what I had just seen. The police and ambulance finally get here. They discover that the other lane and crashed into my love’s life. As I sit waiting for any further news, I recall our plans that were supposed to occur this weekend. A police officer broke my thoughts.

“You are Annie Garrett, correct?” asked the officer.
“Yes, I am. What is going on?” I said nervously.
“Well, ma’am. I don’t know how to say this but—“
“Just tell me straight, dammit!’ I said a little too loud.
“Well, we found this in your boyfriend’s briefcase.”

I took it from his hand slowly and examined it for a few seconds. It said “Delaine’s Fine Jewelry” on top of the small box. My heart dropped and I grew short of breath. I slowly opened the box and when I saw that it was an engagement ring, I dropped it and broke into tears.
© Copyright 2009 Korie (korie_nicole at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1628060-An-Anniversary-Never-Forgotten