*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1628326-How-Much-Does-it-Really-Cost-to-Start-a
Rated: E · Article · Career · #1628326
Find out how much money it really takes to get a freelance writing career off the ground.
As long as you have a computer and internet access already, it does not have to cost anything to begin a freelance writing business. I know this from experience. I was lucky enough to have a few other items that I incorporated into the process of setting up my business, though none of them were crucial.



A desk with a hutch and file cabinets.

Pens, pencils

Notebooks, post-its, accounting books and yellow legal pads

Do you need each of the above? No…



A desk with a hutch and file cabinets. You can use the kitchen table, or the couch if you have a laptop. You can keep files on the computer.

Pens, pencils: If you are recording information into computer files, you do not need these.

Notebooks, post-its, accounting books and yellow legal pads: Ditto for these items. Notepad is a fine program, Open Office or WordPerfect will work fine, and I can create my own budgets and record keeping programs in my free version of Open Office.

To begin, I only used free websites and blogs. This site/blog is not free, but I only acquired it this year. I have been writing for years, however. I use HostGator as a host, with WordPress as my base. I am using a free WordPress theme, however, found by doing a search for free themes.



I use two other free WordPress themes with another host that is paid for. 1&1. You can see the sites here and here.



All-in-all, I do not pay much. I have an actual free WordPress blog as well, that is set up as a sort of beginning storefront. All of these sites work together.



Once you start selling work, you will begin building funds. This is when you slowly begin to purchase whatever items will be helpful to you in your freelance career. These things may be on the computer, or maybe not. It will all depend on how you run your business.



It is possible, as you can see, to start your business for free.



© Copyright 2009 ShannonBuck (slb725writer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1628326-How-Much-Does-it-Really-Cost-to-Start-a