*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1628514-Finding-Teresa
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1628514
While trying to escape her oppressive life, a young women is teleported to another realm.
"Teresa!" my stepmother, Elicia, called.

I remained silent while the shouts from my stepmother and father continued. Not an hour earlier, their shouts directed at each other caused my current predicament. I could not go back. I know every teenager is stricken with problems. Dealing with fighting every day about money and disciplining the children enveloped my world. A call came closer to my position. I fled deeper into the dark woods. They always give up on everything; they would give up looking for me. I heard the desperation in my father's voice. I almost came out once, but I remained resolute. I found a thick nettle of brush to hide under as I heard sticks snap beneath their feet.

"Don't worry, Jim. She'll come back," I heard my stepmother say.

"What if something happens to her? I will never forgive myself," my father replied. I wanted to jump out just then, but my stepmother's presence kept me from doing so.

"How far do you think the woods go?" Elicia asked.

"A couple miles. Maybe more." Jim answered.

"She could have gotten to the other side by now and is heading back to the house. She probably needed time to cool off. You know she always blames herself for our fights." Elicia always made it quite clear the blame rested on my shoulders.

Jim paused, considering. "You're right. One of us should go back to the house. The younger ones shouldn't be left alone anyway."

"I will go back and wait for her," Elicia said.

More likely, sit in front of the TV while my father does all the work, I thought.

"I will come back with you and get a flashlight," Jim said.

I heard their footsteps recede back toward our house. Every so often my father called out my name probably in hopes I remained nearby.

I lay there considering. Going back to that house with all the fighting and chaos did not seem like the best option. I wondered how they stayed together after all the arguments. I no longer wanted any part of it.

Once I figured they really went back to the house, I rolled out from my hiding spot and delved deeper into the woods. The stars started appearing in the sky and a warm breeze blew causing the foliage to ruffle. A full moon glowed above me. I felt relaxed and at peace as I often did when I came out here to escape. Granted, I never came out at night, but if I spent the entire night, I may teach the two of them a lesson. I prayed it may stop the fighting.

Eluding my father. on the other hand, proved difficult as I saw the glow of a high powered flashlight sweeping the trees behind me. I rushed deeper into the woods. I paid no heed to where I went as I fled into the gloom. I turned to check on his progress when I tripped over an exposed root and fell on my face. I rose to my feet to find nothing broken or out of sorts. The flashlight no longer dogged my steps as well. I breathed a sigh of relief and attempted to ascertain my position. My flight brought me to an unrecognized part of the woods.

A wave of fear washed over me and I nearly called out to my father. I steeled myself and remained determined. I decided to remain in this place until morning or my father found me, whichever came first. I sat with my back against a tree and tried not to cry as all the emotions from the evening finally washed over me.

I felt as though I could no longer stand living in that house. I needed to get away. I turned eighteen in three years but how could I live with these circumstances that long.

A soft trill of music grabbed my attention. I looked up from my knees where I wept and saw a soft glow emanating from the trees in front of me. A campfire, I thought, but the light glowed a soft blue. My problems forgotten, I got up and went toward the light. I remained cautious, just in case; my father could be incredibly sly.
I peaked around a tree trunk and saw something amazing.

A ring of overly large mushrooms glowed with the eerie light. The mushrooms stood nearly a foot in height; I counted seven of them. The music I heard earlier flowed from the fungi. A sudden urge to dance in the middle of the circle came over me and I could not stop myself from entering the circle. For the first time in a long time, I felt like a beautiful young girl and I wished for a light dress to swirl around me as I spun and stepped to the music.
I closed my eyes and fell deeper into the rhythm. The pain and anger I felt so distinctly moments before, ebbed out of me. I felt as if nothing could hurt me. I opened my eyes.

The stars and moon no longer shone in the sky above me. An orange orb took their place. Small clouds drifted through a purple hued sky. The trees around me appeared alive as they swayed to the music which dominated the entire surrounding. I walked through the forest in wonder until I came upon an open field. Blue grass undulated to the music. My rational mind tried to explain all the experiences around me. No answers came other than those I did not want to face.

I found myself walking through the waist high grass. My fingers danced through the incredibly soft blades. Obviously, I read one too many of my father's silly, stupid stories and fallen asleep thinking of him. No other explanation sufficed.

The music suddenly stopped and the grass no longer moved. I heard voices off in the distance, but did not understand the peculiar language. Something flew in the air toward me. At first, I thought a giant dragonfly about to fly into me and I swatted at it. It dodged my blow. I realized an insect did not sweep toward me but a tiny person with iridescent wings.

It looked like one of those faeries in the cartoons my little stepsister and my stepmother constantly watched. It took me a moment to realize the tiny woman yelled something at me and pointed with her tiny index finger deeper into the field.

I stood transfixed. Something poked me in the arm causing me to cry out. I pulled a tiny dart out of my bicep which caused a dot of blood to roll toward my elbow. The little woman held a miniature bow in her hand with another arrow pointed at me. As I did not want another sting, I headed in the direction in which she beckoned.
After a few minutes I came upon a group of mushrooms much like the one I danced in earlier. This ring, however, only stood inches off the ground. Winged beings, much like the one pointing the arrow at me, sat on each mushroom. I could see tiny crowns and tiaras glittering on the heads of the faeries; four males and three females.

"I'm sorry if I have disturbed you," I began.

The faeries in attendance placed tiny hands against tiny ears and some of them shouted out in pain.

"I'm sorry," I whispered this time.

The king -- or prince? -- directly before me waved his hand and said something in the strange dialect. When I looked upon him with a blank expression, he sighed in exasperation and said something to those gathered around him.

A female faerie stepped forward from the back of the gathering and raised her hand shyly in acknowledgment. She dropped to a knee at the feet in front of who I presumed to be the King of Faeries.

"My King asks why you have broken the treaty and threatened war against the Fay?" I strained to hear the soft-spoken woman.

"I don't know anything about a treaty. I just started dancing in a mushroom circle and found myself here," I replied.

The faerie translated for the king who seemed more agitated when she finished. He then talked to those gathered as if making a proclamation.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"We are deciding what to do with you."

"But I have done nothing wrong!"

"That is being debated. The treaty is the treaty," the translator said.

The debate went on for a short while longer then the king motioned for the translator who listened intently.

"The King says you are not a normal visitor to our realm and the treaty was created over a millennium ago. He can see that your coming here was purely accidental."

"That is the truth. So I guess it is ok for me to leave now," I said.

"Well that is a problem. You can never leave."

"What! But this is an accident!" I could not believe my horrible luck or the complexity of my dream.

"King Tuan will not have any more of your kind arriving to destroy our way of life. I am sorry."

The faeries on the mushrooms floated away on their gossamer wings. I tried to catch the attention of King Tuan who turned to the translator and uttered something to her.

"It seems I am to be your guide for now," she said bowing to Tuan.

"This is just great. How am I going to survive? You must get him to change his mind," I said in desperation to my wee partner.

"There is not much we can do now. Let's get you situated. It will be difficult housing someone of your size, but I am sure we can find something appropriate," the translator said.

"Well we might as well get to know one another if I am going to be here for a while. My name is Teresa."

"I am Fernella," she returned.

She led me to another patch of forest much different than the one I entered through. The trees donned with silvery leaves and golden branches tinkled in the wind adding to the musical theme present in this realm. I witnessed a cacophony of different creatures scurrying away from my presence. Tiny men in brown furs dove into the underbrush. Tiny dragons flew into the sky with roars and small puffs of flames. I watched in awe as an unimaginably beautiful woman actually melted into a tree trunk. Fernella fluttered around and ahead of me oblivious to the wonders around us. Everything felt so alive. Could this really be a dream?

"Tuan, said something about a treaty," I began an idea suddenly dawning on me.

"King Tuan," Fernella corrected.

"Yes King Tuan. Does that mean our people once lived together?" I asked.

"Many years ago, before I was born. My parents told me about how we once lived in harmony, but then the humans looked to expand."

"Wait a minute. What? How old are you?"

"I am six hundred forty six seasons old."

"How many seasons do you have?"'

"There are three; Planting, Growth and Harvest."

"How long do faeries normally live?"

"The oldest of us is nearly four thousand seasons old, but we do not truly measure," Fernella answered.

I dwelt on this for a moment. The oldest faery added up to about three thousand years old.

"How is that possible?" I asked

"It is the magic of our home. It slows our aging process or so I am told. Can't you feel it?"

I could feel it in the very air around me. I wanted to dance through the trees. For the first time in a long time, I actually loved the world around me. I also felt as though the world loved me back.

"What happened between our peoples?" I asked melancholy at what we lost flowing through me.

"Let's try asking my parents. They were there and can answer your question better than I. Be prepared though they may not be happy with your presence," Fernella answered.

I took in everything around me as we headed toward Fernella's dwelling. Nearly every inch of this place held a different surprise or wonder. My thoughts turned to my father and how he would love to wander this enchanting forest even for a few minutes. I always thought his stories stupid, but now I saw them in a different light.
Finally, we arrived at a group of dwellings made of colorful wood and dyed hay or straw. The tallest of them came approximately up to my waste. Fernella motioned for me to wait at the outskirts of the town or village while she flew into one of the buildings.

A figured swooped out of the building she entered and rushed toward me. Something gleamed in his hand. I turned to run and smacked headlong into a tree. Dazed, I struggled to get my wits back as the faery closed.
Fernella flew in front of the approaching faery before I could be skewered with the sword he held. It pointed the weapon at me and spoke quickly and angrily to Fernella.

"My father says your people are not welcome here," Fernella said after calming down the agitated faery.

"I don't want to cause any problems with your family. I know how that feels already. Just show me where to stay and I will go," I said.

A female faery, who looked almost identical to Fernella, flew up to us. Her father sheathed his sword and listened as Fernella explained the situation to her parents. Once Fernella finished, they both hovered silently. Finally, the female spoke to the male, who gave her an angry look which he quickly relinquished nodding. Both parents gave Fernella a welcoming hug.

"Follow me," her father said turning to me.

I followed the faery family to a clearing a short distance outside the community. Finally I could get off my feet and rest for a while. It seemed as though I walked miles. The family alit on a rock in front of me.

"The story I am about to tell you is from our point of view. I am sure the story would be quite different if told by one of your people. Your people are short lived so the story has probably been forgotten."

He waved his hands and spoke in his language. Images appeared before me as if on a TV screen but they were wispy and not as clear. As Fernella's father told his story the images changed and allowed me to see as he spoke.

Once, my world held magic. The magic sprung from the earth and filled all living things. He said even men, shockingly, wielded magic to the benefit of everything. We became greedy and we wanted more -- big surprise. The faeries warned that the earth only contained so much magic and must be used wisely. We did not care. Because the faeries live so long through magic, he explained, they did not reproduce as quickly. We spawned very quickly, however, and soon outnumbered the faeries. We tried to take it all the magic for ourselves. The faeries could not see the earth used and destroyed in such a way and fought back. Battle after battle raged across the land and both human and faeries died. We realized we could not defeat the faeries as they held the magic of the earth; they knew they could not defeat us because of our vast numbers and growing technology. We struck a bargain. Man took the land and the faeries took the magic; sealed away with them.

"Surely not all of my people were that greedy. Some of them would want to stay with the magic?" I asked.

"Your people cannot be trusted. I am sure some of them legitimately loved the earth as we do, but even a few of you could reek havoc in this place," he answered.

I looked around and could do nothing but agree. I sat there saddened by what we did. A tear traced down my cheek, which I quickly rubbed off with my sleeve.

"Come dear," Fernella's mother said. "Let's get you something to eat then find you a place to stay for the night."

I nodded and followed them back. There, I ate several bowls of delicious stew which I felt bad for eating. I hoped I didn't consume their entire dinner. I chose to bed down where I heard the story of our people. It seemed appropriate.

Sleep eluded me for a long time. How could we forget what happened? Was this land of faery part of our lives at one time? These questions revolved around my head as the night deepened and a blanket of stars shone over me. Each star glittered profoundly; no haze of pollution to reduce their illumination. Miraculously, I fell asleep to said stars. I awoke the next morning refreshed and energized. I couldn't remember the last time I rested so contently.

"You're awake!" Fernella exclaimed next to my ear. "We have to go. There's something going on with the council."

She fluttered her wings and danced in the air. Fernella's excitement contagious, I rose and followed her back to the mushroom circle.

It seemed all the faeries gathered in the small area and they appeared just as excited as Fernella. I feared I committed some act causing all the commotion. King Tuan waved his hands bidding the faeries to settle. He looked all about him gravely.

"We are in great danger," he began, translated by Fernella. All eyes stared at me and I could feel hostility coming from each one.

"No, not from the human," he continued. "Talon has returned."

This statement affected the faeries dramatically. I saw several of them faint. Fernella let out a sharp gasp. I turned to ask about Talon. Fernella made shushing motions and pointed to the King.

"Not to worry my people. My scouts have guaranteed he is not in the area as of yet."

"Where is he?" a concerned faery asked.

"Many mile to the east," the King answered.

"We will destroy him this time," Fernella's father said gaining cheers of approval from some of the surrounding faeries. It seemed to me, however, not many of them shared his optimism.

"We will do what we always do, Tilan. We cannot hope to destroy him, but only hide or flee until he sleeps again." Most of the faeries nodded in agreement to the King's proclomation. "Return to your homes. I will send runners when it is time."

Faeries left the circle. Tilan, his family and I stood awaiting an audience with the King. Tilan looked at me apparently waiting for me to leave. I wanted to know more about this Talon. Maybe, I could do something to help.

"Tilan, we have had this discussion before and there is nothing we can do. Talon is too powerful for us and none will help," the King said with a weary look on his face.

"We have never tried! We have always run away! Aren't you tired of Talon and what he does to us? We have to end this!" Tilan said in rebuttal.

"How many will die? We cannot risk one more of us and you know that. Your daughter is the last to be born. I will discuss this no more." The King waved in dismissal and Tilan huffed and stalked away; the rest of us following close behind.

"Now what?" I asked.

"You be silent and keep to yourself. This is a problem for the faeries. You shouldn't even be here," Tilan said.

"But I am and I want to help. I want to show you that not all of us are bad and we can work together."

"Now is not the time for this. Maybe some day one of you will prove yourself to us but not against Talon. You are no warrior."

I looked at him in frustration. I wanted desperately to prove to them how we could work together. I honestly felt bad about the terrible things perpetrated by my people to Fernella's. I wanted to make amends.

"Father, Teresa can help me and mother gather our belongs. Maybe, she can even find a place for us to hide," Fernella said in my defense.

Tilan pondered his daughter's request. "Be sure she doesn't break anything."

I clapped my hands in delight, which earned an odd look from Tilan and a smile from Fernella. Finally, something to make myself useful, I thought to myself.

I spent the rest of the day gathering Fernella's belongings and putting them into cloth sacks. I piled them next to a large oak on the outskirts of the small village. Twilight found Fernella's family packed and ready to leave at a moments notice.

"I am tired," I said to Fernella as I watched the rest of the faeries gathering their things.

"I would like to thank you. You did a great service to us today," Fernella's mother said handing me a bowl of faerie stew.

"You're very welcome. It is the least I can do considering our history. What can you tell me about Talon?" I asked.

"Talon has been a plague to us for many years. He is like a force a nature who doesn't really know what he is capable of," Fernella's mother said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Talon is drawn to us and he feeds off our essence. The creature is not very intelligent and doesn't really understand what he does. This is the reason why none of the others will help us. They look at it as a balance of nature. Much like, how we feed on the plants around us, Talon feeds on the faeries."

"But you are living creatures who can think and sing and dance. Can't the others see this and stop him?" I felt a sense of despair deep inside of me that none had helped the faeries.

"A spell has been cast on him which causes him to sleep for a time, but he awakens when the need to feed possesses him. He then finds us and feeds on several of us and goes back to sleep. This is the natural order of things," Fernella's mother answered.

"There is nothing for you to fear, Teresa," Fernella said. "Talon cannot harm you nor would he."

"Maybe I can talk to him. I can try to convince him to take small doses of your essence and not kill you outright."

Fernella and her mother seemed to consider this. They talked to each other in their faery language andI waited for their decision. As they talked, Tilan returned and he joined the discussion. He obviously thought the proposal unacceptable as he pointed his sword and waved it around in the direction I thought Talon lay in. Finally, the women assuaged the man and he nodded his head in assent.

"I will lead you," Tilan said and headed to the east. I followed quickly after him.

We traveled past the mushroom circle and deeper into the field in which I first entered the faery world. I saw more denizens of the world. Some fit the archetypes of many of the creatures spoken of in faery tales. Some looked like something out of a science fiction movie. I tried to ignore the more unorthodox creatures. I felt it rude to stare and gawk at the unfamiliar.

Tilan told me most of the denizens of his realm remained harmless unless provoked. The faeries remembered the war with humans while many others chose to forget and move on. I guess not all those here held grudges which gave me hope a bridge could be built between our two peoples.

We crested a small rise and Tilan pointed down into a small valley. A creature not much bigger than myself dug into the soft loam with sharp claws. It obviously quested for something with grim determination. A pig-like snout jutted below two small weasel eyes topped with very bushy brows. I saw no teeth in a mouth which took up nearly the entire lower half of his broad face. His head, topped with long, matted black hair, appeared bulbous as if inflated by some sort of fluid. He looked completely emaciated. I saw ribs sprouting through the coarse brown hair covering him and a pair of loose fitting trousers drooped over protruding hip bones. I gathered my resolve and walked slowly down the slope.

Talon watched my approach. He continued his digging, yet seemed ready to strike or run at a moment's notice. I walked with my hands out, hopefully, appearing nonthreatening. He continued working as I hunkered down next to him.

"What are doing?" I asked.

"I hungry," Talon said in a guttural voice.

"Maybe, I can help. What do you eat?"

Talon skittered closer to me and smelled me with his piggy nose. I did the best I could not to cry out and start bashing him with my fists. He sniffed me up and down then looked at me with distaste.

"Not you," he replied.

"That's good news. What do you eat?" I asked again.

He scrunched up his features and brought a sharp claw up to his mouth, tapping it. "I know when I find."

"Does it live in the ground?"

"Sometimes."

"Is that why you are digging?" I asked.

"Found food here last time. Now gone," he answered.

The faeries prior home probably rested in this small valley at one point. I wondered at how this creature could pose such a threat to the faery community. The faeries' intelligence far exceeded Talon's. Reasoning with Talon no longer appeared optional as he possessed the intelligence of a preschooler.

Suddenly, a squeal of delight echoed through the valley. Talon jumped up and down holding something in his hand. I walked over just in time to witness him slurping down an enormous earth worm. I shook my head in confusion and walked back up to where I left Tilan. He hovered in the same place watching Talon.

"We must leave, Teresa. I fear I will break my word to my king and strike the foul beast down."

"He seems harmless to me," I replied.

"He is anything but . . . " Tilan stopped suddenly and moved to the hills edge.

I looked down and saw Talon looking up at us with a glazed look in his eyes. He swayed back and forth, yet otherwise stayed where he dug for more of the earth worms. Tilan floated toward the creature; his body limp and lifeless.

I quickly grabbed the faery warrior and ran back in the direction of his village. He let out a wail of despair which I heard echoed by Talon in the valley below.

"You must return me," Tilan said as he squirmed in my grip. "I've never seen such beauty."

Confusion flooded me as I ran on. How could Tilan see beauty in that hideous creature? After a few minutes, Tilans struggles ceased and he looked at me with disdain.

"Unhand me, vile human."

I let him go and he pulled his sword on me. "How dare you hold me such! I should slay you where you stand."

"That is a fine thing to say to someone who just saved your life." I tried to contain my anger, but Tilan's attitude pressed me to my limit.

"What are you talking about?"

I told him what happened at the hill. He drifted silently ahead of me after I finished and he stayed that way until we reached the mushrooms. A messenger arrived shortly after us and departed after speaking briefly with Tilan.
King Tuan appeared shortly after; tucking in his tunic and putting on his robe of office. I sat on the grass just outside the circle and waited as the two debated back and forth. Finally, the King raised his hand to stop Tilan's argument and summoned the messenger. He spoke briefly and the younger faery flew off toward the village. Faeries arrived in ones and twos not long after.

Fernella flew up next to my ear. "What's going on?" she asked.

I told her what happened with Talon and her father and his discussion with the King even though I couldn't explain the particulars of said discussion. Before Fernella could ask further questions the King called for silence.

"Talon is very near," Fernella translated once again. "I hope all are ready to leave as we must depart this place this very day. We cannot risk being caught here. Also we must give great thanks to the human Teresa as she risked her very life to save our own Tilan," the King announced.

The faeries turned to her and some let out gasps of astonishment. "It really wasn't anything special. I did not risk my life as the King put it. I just grabbed Tilan and ran."

"Surely, you were caught in the beast's stare?" one of the faeries asked from the back.

I looked around trying to figure out what they expected from me. They stood in rapt attention waiting for some sort of explanation.

"Actually, I had a discussion with Talon. It wasn't much of a talk, but I did realize that you are not the only thing he eats."

More gasps of astonishment issued from those gathered. "How can this be?" another voice cried out.

I turned to the King and could only shrug my shoulders. No answer came to me as to why Talon's gaze ignored me.

"We can now kill the beast and end our suffering!" Tilan suddenly cried out. "She can destroy our plague and free us."

I shuddered at the thought of taking another life; especially one as pathetic as Talon's. He preyed on the faeries through no fault of his own. It appeared to her the faeries went to their death of their own accord not by any means caused by Talon.

"I won't do it," I said.

Tilan stared at her in disbelief. "We have broken our rules and have allowed you to stay when we should have executed you. If nothing else you owe us."

"You may be right, but I will not break my own convictions. I will not attempt to kill something that does not deserve to die. Talon is not evil. Listen, I said before I wanted to help you. I think I have a way to help you and myself."

"And what may that be?" the King asked.

"Open a gateway back to my world and I will take Talon back with me. He can no longer harm you and he won't be able to hurt anyone on my world."

All eyes fell upon the King as he sat on his giant mushroom rubbing his long beard in consideration. "We will need someone to stay to keep the portal open until the two can pass through."

"I will do it," Fernella offered.

"Absolutely not!" Tilan cried.

"I know the spells and Teresa is my friend. As long as I am careful, everything will be all right," Fernella returned.

"I will not trust my daughter's life to this human," Tilan said.

"She has proved she is a friend to us. I trust her. I know she will do what she says."

I nearly cried from the unexpected vote of confidence from the young faery. I felt undeserving of such praise but at the same time I vowed to prove Fernella's faith warranted.

"So be it. But know this human, if any harm comes to Fernella, I will hunt you through the worlds and have my vengeance." He stalked away.

"How long will this take?" I asked of Fernella.

"I must prepare but it shouldn't take long. By the time you gather Talon, I will be ready." She quickly explained the particulars of the effect of the magic.

I ran off. Talon squatted in the same exact spot in which I left him not long before. He dined on more of the earthworms he apparently dug out of the earth. I called down to him. He gathered his bounty and staggered to the top of the hill.

"What do you want silly woman?" he asked.

"I know where you can find tons of food," I said.

"You no fool Talon?" he asked looking at me suspiciously.

I placed my hand on my heart. "I am not lying."

"I come with you."

He discarded the worms and followed behind me. We quickly returned to the mushroom circle. Talon sniffed the air.

"I smell food," he said.

"Yes, There is plenty of food through the blue shiny thing."

A glowing portal shimmered in the center of the circle. Talon walked toward it tentatively. I moved behind him and gave him a brisk shove through the portal. I shouted goodbye to Fernella and jumped through after him.
I found myself in a dark forest. I just barely made out Talon's features a few feet in front of me.

"You lie to me," Talon accused. "No food . . ."

Just then, a squirrel jumped out of the underbrush. Talon let out a loud squawk and quickly took chase. I laughed to myself. I did it! For the first time in my life, I made a difference in someone else's life and if felt good.

"Teresa!" my father called nearby.

I ran through the woods scratching my legs and arms on sharp thorns and prickly bushes. I rushed into my father's arms and nearly knocked him over.

"Where have you been young lady!" my father yelled as loud as he ever did.

It seemed my journey in the faery world lasted only a few hours in mine.

"I am so sorry, Dad! I will tell you everything,"

"Dad, huh. No father? All I know is that it better be good. Elicia and I have been worried sick."

"I am sorry about that, Dad. But if it is any consolation, I think I have a new idea for a book for you."

He grinned and put an arm around my shoulder and for the first time in a long time I let him leave it there.











© Copyright 2009 J M Silva (runeleaf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1628514-Finding-Teresa