*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630055-The-last-present
Rated: E · Other · Family · #1630055
Pure dialogue of a family dealing with a surprise gift under the tree
"Daddy, there's another present here."
"We opened all the presents already, Mary."
"It was under the couch."
"Who is it for?"
"I can't tell, silly."
"Spell out the letters."
"H... E... L... E..."
"Honey, can you come in?  There's another present for you."
"And I just finished tidying up."
"Open it, Mummy!"
"A scarf, how boring. I got a race car."
"What's wrong with Mummy?"
"I'm so sorry, love.  I thought I had cleared everything from her away.  I didn't want to upset you, and now look."
"Why is Mummy crying, daddy?"
"I tell you what, kids, let's go upstairs and play with your new toys."
"Look, Daddy, this one goes roar when you press the button."
"That is amazing, Fred.  Jack, can you put on a DVD?"
"Can I put on the Barney sing along?"
"Yes, you can put on the Barney sing along."
"You said you never want to hear that again in your whole life, Daddy."
"That's why I'm going downstairs to talk to Mummy."
"I want to build a castle."
"No fighting, guys, I'll be back up in a few minutes and then we can go to the roundabout park."
"Can we make a snowman?"
"Yes, that’s a great idea."
“I want to have a snowball fight.”
"Here's a whole box of tissues, sweetie."
"I'm sorry.  I've spoiled the day."
"You're grieving, dear.  We all are.  It's only been three weeks."
"I miss her so much."
"Everyone does, honey.  They stood in the rain outside the church because there was no room left inside."
"All the time I wasted, that I could have spent with her."
"You have your own life, she knew that.  You're a busy woman.  All the hats you wear - mother, wife, work.  You amaze me."
"It was my fault."
"Shush, don't be silly.  You know that's not true."
"I knew she was sick, but not that sick."
"There's no point in blaming yourself.  It was her time, that's all."
"What will I do without her?  When I saw the coffin, all I could think was I'll never see her again, ever."
"That's not true.  I see her every day."
"Don't tease me."
"I do.  I see her when Mary puts her hands on her waist and tells her brothers off.  I see her in Fred's chin, in Jack's hazel eyes.  I see her in you, every day.  She'll never be gone."
"I don't deserve you.  Do I do that?"
"What?"
"Put my hands on my waist when I tell off the kids?"
"Sometimes."
"I can see her doing it.  I loved her so much."
"In a hundred years, no, in two hundred years, when we're all gone, someone out there will have her sense of humour, and someone will have her common sense.  They won't know it, but they'll be seeing your mother every day, too."
"But not the awful scarves."
"You're so pretty when you smile.  That smile is all your own, too.  It's the only reason I married you, that smile."
"I have to get the dinner started."
"I put the potatoes in the oven and I peeled the brussel sprouts.  We have an hour."
"Did you?"
"Yes, I did.  Put your coat on, Kids!  Let's go!"
"It's freezing outside,"
"That's why you need your coat.  C'mon, everyone, we're going to the roundabout park to make a snowman!"
"I used to make snowmen with my mother.  She always brought a carrot and coal for the face.  I hate carrots."
"We make our own memories every day, love. New memories.  The best we can make."
"Mary, you're going to need to put your socks back on.  It's snowing.  Fred, leave your toys right there, they'll be here when we get back."
"It's a lovely day, isn't it?  I must look a mess.  You're so good to me."
"Let me tie that scarf."


© Copyright 2009 Jaguaress (jaguaress at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630055-The-last-present