*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630315-Lady-from-the-Bus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1630315
Chance encounters mold our lives. Enjoy.
The Lady From the Bus

A young lady stepped off of the bus and looked around the neighborhood she had never seen. The day was sunny and bright, the wind cut through her clothes straight to her bones. Fortunately, the young lady was dressed in a long black coat that shielded her from the wind. The length of the coat went down to her ankles. She had an orange scarf wrapped about her neck with a black hat pulled down over her ears. Upon her face rested a stylish pair of dark sunglasses.
         As the bus pulled away the young lady proceeded across the street towards the little corner bookstore. The lady entered the store and was immediately greeted with a customary “Hello” from the man behind the counter. The stout little old man gingerly stepped out from behind the register to greet the woman.
         “What can I help you with today.”
         “Nothing, I was just going to have a look around. I hear this place is a gem.”
         “Very good, if I can be of any help just yell.”
         “Thanks”
         “By the way would you care for a cup of tea, or maybe coffee?”
         “Oh, no thanks, that is ok.”
         “I don’t mind, for you it would be free.”
         “Thanks, but I am fine.”
         The young lady was used to being waited on. She was a very attractive woman and in society men usually have taken notice of her. At times this would put her off, but this time the little old man was kind and gentle. It seemed to be genuine good hospitality.
         Then the door of the little shop opened up and the cold air came rushing in for warmth. The strong wind caught some of the notices on the counter and gave them a ride into the air. She immediately went after the free flying papers. She did not even glance at the young gentleman who had entered the shop.
         The young man who entered was in his early thirties, somewhat disheveled. He was a tall man, about six feet two. Slender build with straight, brownish yellow hair which seemed to have a mind of its own.
         “Ah, Robert, it is good to see you this morning. How are you today?”
         “Fine Mr. Brown. I’ll take a cup of coffee today with just a little cream and sugar. You know I have a sweet tooth.”
         “Yes, very good, maybe a bit of hazelnut syrup? I’m glad someone around here wants to be warm. This young lady seems to be warm enough.”
         At that, Robert looked over at the young lady and their eyes met. In just a moment the two exchanged a look that revealed too much for either one. Her dark brown eyes sparkled from the sunlight crashing through the big window at the front of the store. Both Robert and the lady immediately looked the other way. The old man chuckled. He had seen many scenes like this play out in his tiny little store.
         “Well, let me get you that cup. Ma’am have you changed your mind?”
         “Uh, ok I’ll take a small cup of tea, if that is no trouble. Thanks.”
         “No trouble at all. Very good”
         Robert turned and went about looking for a book he had completely forgotten. The young lady looked back at Robert and smiled to herself. He seemed to be a very interesting and charming young man, with just enough oddities to be amusing.
         Robert’s clothes were not that of the typical artist or writer. The young gentleman wore a black leather jacket, nice cut, green cargo pants with a flannel shirt covering a t-shirt. On his feet, the artist wore green Puma tennis shoes. One would think that the style would not suit a woman of her stylish dress and yet the clothes revealed a subtle charm of someone comfortable, relaxed, holding an inner confidence. One that was less interested in the styles of society. She smiled to herself and wondered what this guy was like.
         Robert shyly looked back toward the young woman. He thought there was something unique about her and he was very interested in finding out what brought her to this tiny out of the way bookstore. He wondered how he could break the ice. He moved toward her direction.
         “Here you go Miss. Your tea is ready.”
         “Thanks.”
         “By the way I’m Mr. Brown”
         “Oh I’m Alexandra. You can call me Alex. Nice to meet you.”
         Alex turned to catch Robert looking at her. She smiled quickly and continued to look at the various books about the store.
         “Robert, here is your coffee as well.”
         “Thanks Harold.”
         “What are you up to today?”
         “Well I’m just looking around until something catches my eye.”
         “I know what you mean. Maybe something already has.” At this Robert began to turn slightly red. Luckily Alexandra was not looking at Robert at the time. She smiled sheepishly to herself.
         Robert took his time glancing at Alexandra. Robert realized that this woman was possibly the most attractive woman he had seen in years. Robert lived in the city and was used to seeing many attractive women go about their business each day. He had seen the slick, fashion-conscious women of the corporate world strut their new designer clothes on the avenues of the high class. He had even gone out with a few who he thought weren’t that bad. There was always something missing that he could not quite put his finger on. Now he knew that this woman who had just come into the store was different.
Alexandra held herself with more confidence and was less concerned about what others would think of her. Even with this disregard of how others may perceive her, she still held an air of elegance and style that seemed more natural and alluring than any other woman Robert could think of. There was an inner beauty that radiated from her body. The way she moved. The graceful movements of her body revealed her alluring nature.
Robert looked over at Alex and wondered what brought this beloved beauty into his world. He noticed how her long, curly, dark brown hair fell upon her shoulders with grace and elegance. Robert could smell her perfume. A sweet, yet sultry aroma, ever alluring him into a deep trance. He took a deep breath. The perfume permeated his nostrils.
Robert studied each movement of her hands, gently caressing each book she came across. He was watching a dancer performing a beautiful ballet. Alex was conducting a masterpiece while Robert was the audience quietly enjoying the performance from the first row.  The performance continued from one area of the bookstore to the next, from the Philosophy section to the popular Travel section.
Robert began to wonder what the young lady was looking for. He wondered if he had enough courage to ask her. Then he blurted out. “ Can I help you find anything?”
“Oh no, I was just looking around, thanks.”
“Well if you need anything just ask, I’m Robert.”
“I’ll do that, I’m Alex.”
“Alex?”
“Alexandra”
“Oh, that’s a nice name.”
“Thanks”
Robert thought to himself, what a clod I am. Oh that’s a nice name, duh.
Alex smiled to herself at the thought of Robert’s clumsy attempt. She also thought it was charming. She began to notice him even more. When she had the chance she would check him out. Taking little looks at him while she looked through the small bookstore.
Harold watched the scene as the beloved old man watches the children in the park. He was the observer in this human play. Over the years Harold had seen quite a few of these clumsy yet touching acts played out. Many times the play would end in a short tragedy, where the boy would not get the girl. Sometimes the girl would wait for the boy to make his move and again, tragedy, as the boy would never be interested. Harold thought what a strange world in which we live in. So many people looking for someone, and yet there is always missed opportunities each day. The ants moving about the colony, always moving in a straight line, following one another through the world.
Robert was once again thinking of a way to break the ice with Alex. He went over in his head the many approaches he would try and one by one he discarded them, some being too forward, others too juvenile. He knew his chance would not wait too long and soon this beauty would be on her way back into her world, far, far away from his. 
Alex decided to take a chance on this charming frog. She knew that there was a prince inside. Her instincts lead her to move towards him. There in the cooking section the two players bumped into each other.
“Oh I’m sorry.” Alex playfully chirped.
“That’s ok. I should have seen you coming.”
“Do you cook? Most men try but never trust themselves. The real secret is to take chances and be confident. Don’t you think that is the secret to most things in life? To take the chances without fear?”
“Yes. I believe you are right. Would you be interesting in letting me cook dinner for you.”
“That would be nice. What do you have in mind?”
“I’m not sure. What do you suggest?”
“Maybe something we could try together?”
“Yeah, something new for both of us.”
“Let’s take the chance.”
“Great, say Friday night around 7?”
“Perfect.”
As the two exchanged phone numbers, Harold smiled to himself. This play would have a happy ending. Bravo!!

                   The End
© Copyright 2009 Red Loewi (redloewi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1630315-Lady-from-the-Bus