*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631138-Watcher-in-the-Wood
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Nature · #1631138
A young woman sees a man in the woods. Could he be more?
         The summer air was warm on my sunkissed skin. While lying on the green grass of the forest I saw an eagle soar, through a large opening in the thick canopy of the trees. His majestic wings move almost in sinc with the breeze. His talons, large and threatening, and his rounded crown a picture of elegance. He was a picture of majesty, royalty in the land of the animals. The land calls to me. The limbs of the trees shift in pleasure as the wind carresses them with feathery touch. Then there's a boy. No a man. I couldn't tell. He was natural with not a thread on him. His skin russet, the color of sun on raw ground. His body; flawless and toned. I eyed his broad shoulders and long to be held by the arms that are connected, muscular and rippling. How I long to rest my cheek on his hard chest. My eyes travel up to his face and connect with his chocolate orbs. Lips pouting and red, and cheek bones high and prominent. I long to rest my hand upon his face, where I see the age of a young one but I also see his lack of innocence. A sudden gust blows his long, black hair around his face, shoulders, and back. I closed my eyes taking in his presence and when I opened them he was gone and standing in his place; a wolf. His presense was regal, overtaking my attraction to the eagle instantly. The animal's gaze met mine, and then he dissappead into the forest.
         I waited for him until he sun was gone and the stars and moon were the only light I had to see. Then I heard the distant howl. It sounded longing, like it it wanted, no needed something. I understood its animalistic call. I waited more until i fell asleep and woke, laying on the edge of the forest beside my home. I don't remember what happened, how I was moved, but I do know you did it. The boy. The man. The wolf.
         Since that day I've returned to the same spot every evening. I wait and once the sun goes down I hear the howls, the cries, the pleas. He hasn't returned since then, but I can feel him watching me. Protecting me, and I knew as long as I return to the forest he'll be there waiting, not visible to my eye, but I visible to his.
© Copyright 2009 knprovost (knprovost at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631138-Watcher-in-the-Wood