*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631306-The-Gift
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1631306
Talon gets an unual annonimous gift that vreates a mystery and maybe love.
                                                      Why?
         Talon walked into the office passing all her co-workers as they laughed and joked about the coming holiday. No one paid her much notice as she was used to and she sat in her corner cubicle and turned on her computer. She notice then that there was something shining behind her monitor. She reached behind and pulled out a small box. The box was about 4x4 and was wrapped in the most beautiful tan paper. It had a flowing soft black satin ribbon that draped over the side and a small rustic scroll with wooden toggles no bigger than her thumb. She picked up the scroll and rolled out to read who it was from. To her surprise all it said was “Just because you are you” and had a small circle drawn below. This made her sit up with surprise curious with wonder. In the last 5 years she had worked here she had not had a single friend here let alone a present from anyone. She had always sat in her corner cubicle, high walls and all, listening to music on headphones as she completed her work in tranquil silence, only conversing with her co-workers when her work demanded it for completion. Talon looked around the corner of her desk to see if anyone was looking or acting suspicious. It was just the usual work chatter and a few people laughing as they joked around with each other. She began to slip the ribbon off unwrapping the paper slowly and carefully on corner at a time. She always loved paper and did not want to destroy the beautiful wrapping that someone had put so much care into. She saw a small golden glint as the paper fell away. It was the most beautiful box she had ever seen. It had 4 cherubs on all 4 corners holding an raised golden antique wooden box, the sides were carved in a Greek or Roman design or so she though. The top had a little knob that she gripped to pull the lid off. A light twinkling song started to play. The melody was nothing she had ever heard before but it somehow sounded familiar and comforting. She closed the lid quickly and regretfully not wanting to draw attention to herself. Her eyes began to sting as tears tried to escape her firmly shut eyes and soon she could not hold them all in and a drop began to slide down her cheek. She was immensely grateful that no one could see her from her angle in the office and grabbed a tissue to dab her eyes.

         The rest of the day Talon was distracted from her normal routine. She could not figure out who would give her such a beautiful gift and why?  As she drove home that night she thought of everyone who could have left it on her desk. There were a lot of people who had opportunity but no one that would make sense to her in any way. When talon got home she examined the small box inside and out. Just as she was about to put it away she notice a small extruding circle that looked like a tiny button. When she pushed the button she heard a small click and one of the little Cherubs moved slightly to reveal a hidden compartment. She moved the angel slightly more aside and peaked in. She noticed another small scroll that fit perfectly inside the bottom of the box. It was so the same size as the one that was left on the front of the gift making it almost unnoticeable from the outside even knowing it was there. She tipped the box allowing the scroll to fall into her palm. Her heart was pounding with anticipation and curiosity of the unknown gift giver. Talon unrolled the scroll and stared at the tiny amazing lettering and began to read:

         I have watched you from afar admiring your humble sweet heart and have been afraid for too long to tell you how much I cared. I place this scroll in here not knowing if you will ever find it and learn of my love. If you find this and you are unable to return my love please pretend you never found this so I may continue to hope and be happy. If you feel as I do please place a red ribbon on the outside of your desk so that I may see this and finally know happiness with you.
    Your devoted, Jared Jordons

         Talons heart began to flicker as she read these words. She would never had guessed it would be Jared. He had always been very kind to her at work but he had never spoken to her privately and she had never noticed anything that would have given her the impression that he care for her like this. She thought back to ever morning she had come in and she had always remembered him with a smile but she had always thought that’s just how he was. She had never suspected the smile was for her and because of her. Talon sat on the edge of her bed shocked and overwhelmed trying to picture Jared and kissing him. She had never sought his attentions but how could she turn away from such a kind warm loving man. He had always made her laugh though she had never shown it in his company and she had always found him attractive if a kind heartening way. She decided to sleep on it and started to get ready for bed. Talon went into the restroom and opened the her left drawer pulling out her hair brush and that’s when she noticed it. She had a deep red ribbon among her hair bands. She thought back and wondered if he had noticed her wearing it on a previous occasion. She tried to put it out of her mind and finished her ritual before bed and slept with wild dreams that night.
         
         Talon went to work early the next morning to try to get things done before Jared came in. She wanted to observe him as he came in. At 8 O’clock people started coming in and she knew Jared would be there. She started to get nervous thinking someone might have just been playing a sick joke on her. She got up and rushed to the rest room and staring in the mirror trying to regain her confidence. She had been alone so long this was likely to be her last chance at love. She started to walk back to her desk and noticed Jared was not yet at his desk. She walked over to her desk and turned around the corner and saw inside her cubical. There was Jared with the biggest smile on his face sitting in her chair staring at the dozens of ribbons she had placed all over her cubicle that morning. She tried to speak but did not have the chance he stood up and held her in his arms and kissed her with more passion than she had ever known. Their lips body’s entwined as they kissed as if the world had disappeared and Talon felt happier than she had ever thought possible. When they finally stopped kissing he pulled her close and whispered in her ear “You have made me the happiest man alive”. She could feel a tear escape her eyes and begin to fall down her cheek. He wiped it away with his finger and said ”I love you”. 

© Copyright 2009 Sunshine Storm (sunny1849 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631306-The-Gift