*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631510-Sanguine
by RevJC
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1631510
World of ancient beings and shape shifters with Entities bestowing curses upon the living.
Sanguine

By: Josh Crowder


Chapter  1: Misconceptions

         Grabbing the cold metal grip of the convenience store door, I gently pulled it open to hear the small bells on it jingle a playful tune. Letting the door softly close behind me, I walked down the first aisle dazing off as I looked for something to catch my eye. Finally coming to the frosty glass of the coolers, I examined the contents with genuine interest. Coke, Sprite, root beer, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, orange soda, grape soda. So many choices as usual. Going back and forth in my head, never able to determine which beverage would be necessary to quench my thirst. I have memories of each, for a while all I did was drink soda, buying twelve packs of them and they all would leave a bad aftertaste if you drank enough. And therein laid my plight with choosing which one I would buy today. Foregoing my usual method of playing “my mother told me” to decide which by chance, or at least I always assumed it was chance somehow. When it was really me just randomly forgetting parts of that childhood trick taught to us. Opening the cooler to feel that nice artificial breeze blast my face, I reached in and grabbed my prize. Lustrous against the fluorescent lighting of this tiny shop, it remained still and slightly foamy. Letting the door slam into the padding of the cooler always gave me a nice and satisfying bam. Lifting my head as I turned to walk toward the counter, I noticed her. Butterflies abundant, my pulse racing with nervous energy enough to send me past the sound barrier.

         Her grace and mere aura of kindness enveloped me. The sun reflecting playfully off her ponytail she had stuffed through the back of a Yankees cap. Her hair a delightful light brown with hints of dirty blonde streaked throughout, a smile to make dentists swoon, and eyes to lose yourself in. A dark green turtle neck of some incredibly soft looking material complimented by dark khakis, she was breath taking in her modesty. Breaking my trance so as to not be caught staring as she walked slowly into the store from outside. I quickened my pace to the cashier behind his tempered glass fortress; he sat comfortably with arms crossed as if a king from a throne of scarlet velvet and gold trimming. As she passed by, I tossed her a quick “hey!” with a smile big enough to land a jet on. She blushed slightly and whispered lowly, almost inaudibly, “hi Dakota” in an excited manner. Remarkable how hushed her voice seemed and yet, she could’ve been talking right into my ear. Watching her make her way down the aisle, pointing every once and a while at something she might want as if signaling to herself. Stopping in front of some magazines, she brought her hand to her face and bit down softly on her finger as if deep in thought. Not realizing at all, I was witnessing this happen in awe as if some great Russian ballet was unfolding before me. Shaken from my concentration by the rapping of the cashier’s knuckles upon his impenetrable walls barking in some accent indiscernible by me. I reached into my back pocket, taking out my trusty wallet. Black snakeskin embroidered with an iron cross of crimson snakeskin glaring defiantly up at me. A lot of people assume I’m some kind of racist or neo-Nazi when they see this coupled with my tattoo stretching the length of my forearm. But it’s merely a sentimental piece of nostalgia reminding me of my beloved uncle who passed well before his time. “Root beer again Kota? Don’t you ever get tired of drinking that crap?” smirked Tarro, the portly but well muscled store owner. “Only thing to get tired of is that poor excuse of a beard you try to grow!” I quipped. “One of these days Kota, Ima give you the whooping your momma never gave ya!” he bellowed. “I can only hope” I replied smiling. Quickly swiping my debit card before the clerk grew even more restless with my sarcastic jokes today. I took my receipt from the small drawer used to prevent any possible contact with him at all; I grasped my drink firmly and pushed open the door with the pleasant jingling alarm.

         Back outside, the sun was even more dazzling than before, causing me squint almost to the point of closing my eyes for fear of blindness. Removing my dark-tinted sunglasses from around my neck, I brought them to shield my eyes from such harshness. Ahh, everything was much more enjoyable with an evening shade on it. Breep breep! My phone started to call out. Tossing my drink to my other hand and removing the source of this noise from my pocket, I inspected it for the cause of this nonsense. 10:55am it shouted at me. “Damnit, I spent way too much time in there. Only five minutes until lecture begins and I’m nearly ten minutes walking distance to the University, let alone my classroom” I cursed myself. But wait, she’s in the same lecture as me and is never late. How is she going to make it in time, maybe with a car? “I’ll get a ride from her!” I thought. Before I even turned to head back in, I heard the little sing song of Tarro’s Little Foods door. “Hey Dakota! Aren’t you going to be late to class?” she inquired. “I was actually going to ask the same of you Kelly. Do you drive to class? If you do, could I get a quick ride if you don’t mind?” I responded. “I don’t drive” she beamed at me. “But then how…” and even before I could finish, she lightly but firmly grabbed my arm. “Is something the matter Kelly?” I asked hesitantly. “Close those baby blues!” and without even giving me a chance to respond, the world around us began to tear and shift. Falling to my feet when we came back to solid ground or whatever just happened. Barely stopping myself from throwing up due to the unexpected trip, I saw us only just down the hall from our lecture room. “B..ut..ho..w..?” I uttered. Pressing two fingers to my lips to silence me, she helped me up and started off towards class. “You’re going to be late!” she said over her shoulder.


Chapter 2: The Binded

         Sitting there, barely listening to Dr. Shaw going on at length about the Hittite civilization and how it mysteriously vanished with records just ceasing to exist. My mind was elsewhere, focused on the smiling beauty three rows down from me in the lecture hall’s stadium seating. Still questioning myself if that all really happened or not, or if I was being delusional I did not know. She seemed remarkably calm about the whole thing, as if it was natural to her. Before another thought could race through my mind, I heard whispered in my ear “Do you want to see?” I looked at the people sitting to the left and right of me, and both were intently focused on the professor. “Who had said that?” I asked in my head. It sounded like Kelly’s voice, but that was impossible, she was way too far away from me to talk to me, let alone WHISPER me. “And yes, this is Kelly silly. I can show you the truth.” Startled even now more than ever, my heart began to race and sweat started to pour down my brow. “This isn’t happening” I thought. Taking the initiative before another whisper graced my ear, I mouthed ‘yes’ into the air. Again, “I suggest closing those baby blues this time!” in and out my ears. Quickly clenching my eyelids down to avoid another motion sickness slideshow I waited for something to happen.

         After a few moments passed, I dared to open one eye. It was unreal. There I was, still sitting in Dr. Shaw’s lecture hall, but not a sound escaped his lips, or was that him? I looked around and saw, everyone was still there but not really. Instead of regular colors, everyone was just a soft white, glow with all their discernible features but as if I wasn’t there or they weren’t really there. I turned to see if Kelly was the same way, but she wasn’t there anymore. A finger tapped my shoulder, almost causing me to skyrocket out of my chair. “Don’t be so skittish Dakota!” she laughed. It was Kelly and she was crouched on the desk behind me, smiling her face off. “What happened? Where are we? What are you?” I tried to interrogate her. Putting two more soft fingers to my lips, she hushed me. “Better question for us, is what are YOU?” “Us? And what do you mean what I am?” I mumbled.

         “You will come to know us all very well in the time to come Mr. Blue” a middle-aged man offered. He was gruff, with a mid-length beard growing with hints of gray starting to show throughout. Sandy blonde hair kept barely above his ears, white-rimmed glasses complimenting his startlingly light green eyes. With very noticeable scars on his neck, looking like two bullet wounds or something a bit smaller but round as well. Dressed strangely enough in what looked to be surgeon’s scrubs, a nice and calming turquoise colour. “I just don’t get this, whatever this is.” I sighed exasperated. “Welcome to Elysium young man, we don’t have much time; it is quite against the ‘law’ to bring a non-Awakened here. Take my hands.” Cautiously taking his hands not wanting to cause trouble in wherever the hell this was. “What now? No more trips like that yet please” I joked.

         He smiled and suddenly his eyes rolled into the back of his head. Still standing and grasping my hands firmly, a white mist, almost tangible arose around him. Started out thin, now becoming thick in ever increasing quantity, it slowly creeped down his arms towards my hands. Not expecting this I tried to pull back in futility, my hands were locked in. I looked to Kelly with questioning in my eyes; she merely caressed my face lightly with her hand and whispered once more “It’s ok sunshine”. Slightly reassured but panicked, I tried to close my eyes and let whatever happens, happen. The mist made the bridge across our hands, it was so shockingly cold, and not just my hands, but sent shivers down my spine. Almost like eating a whole package of breath mints, such a refreshing burst sent throughout my body. I dared to open my eyes, and he was still there in the same position as I left him, but now I was encased in this mist, solid enough to choke a normal person, strangely enough nothing. A light out of the corner of my right eye did catch my attention. Before looking, I turned back to Kelly; her eyes wide with amazement and fantastic thoughts. She was staring at my right arm. Thinking something terrible had happened to it, I quickly spun my head to gaze at it, there seemingly to pulse, my tattoo. No longer the standard black sitting flat against my skin. It radiated a pureness to it, as if the mist concentrated there on that spot of my arm. Without realizing it, so entranced by this, I didn’t realize until now, I couldn’t feel anything. Not him gripping my hands, not the coolness of the mist, not my heart beating out of my chest, nothing but a lingering feeling in my head.

         Dakota Blue, I am one of the six entities. I bestow upon you my curse. Do not be afraid my dear son, with my curse comes unimaginable power. You will come to find yourself capable of much, un-needing of other lesser beings help. While the other entities all have names they wish to boast and have their children call them, I refuse to release my name. And as such, your kind have given me some sort of title that they wish to know me by. I am Pride. Without your knowledge, you have been tethered to me, by the rune upon your arm. Find solace in your own ability, looking to others is weakness, be strong and fear none. You my child, are one of The Binded.

Chapter 3: Changing Lanes

         Suddenly out of breath, I drew my head back and gasped at the air around me. “It is done Kelly, he is Awakened. I must take my leave, the Caretakers will surely be after me for this. Your favor has been returned, we are now even.” Turning to look at me, “Welcome again to Elysium Dakota, take care.” He said before slamming his hands together and disappearing into the mist, which quickly dispersed with his absence.

         Noticing that my tattoo was no longer pulsing nor radiating that bright light I wondered what really happened. “Come now Dakota, we can’t miss the rest of Professor Shaw’s lecture.” She stated matter-of-factly. “How are you so calm about all of this? You treat this like a midsummer’s picnic, no cares in the world.” I retorted bitterly. “When you’ve been around as long as I have, you learn to take things as they come.” She frowned at me. “Well I’m not going ANYWHERE until I know what the hell being Awakened means, where this fucking place is, and why the hell I had a voice in my head saying I’m his ‘son’ and calling me ‘The Binded’!” Giggling slightly, as if out of pity for me. “I’m sure that voice told you all you needed to know, I don’t know anything more than you when it comes this. I had the same experience, and I was called the voices ‘daughter’. I’m not the best to explain this. Dr. Faulkland will help you out.” Growing more enraged every second with her dodging my questions. “If all you’re going to do is dance around everything, at least tell me what being Awakened means?!”

         Sighing slightly she began to speak. “Being Awakened as you’ve experienced, is the act of communicating with one of those Entities, whether by your own will or not. In your case, willingly. Each person reacts differently to the Entities, and are ‘cursed’ accordingly by them. Each person already basically has a preset Entity to them, it’s really just you needing to give them a ‘call’!” Nodding, I asked “So what is this power he spoke of?” “Each curse comes with its own ‘power’. As you said, he called you one of ‘The Binded’. Like I said before, Dr. Faulkland is better suited to explain this.” Drawing a quizzical stare from me. “Ms. Faulkland, Professor Faulkland, our physics professor, has been Awakened as we have. For far longer. Let us return to Solaire, then we can speak with her.” I sighed again. “Solaire? And how do we return to there, whatever that is?” Showing a tiny bit of frustration herself, she spoke slowly. “Solaire is the human world so to speak, the one where everyone can visit, Awakened and non alike. And you return with a simple phrase. Aucun endroit comme solaire.” And with that, she was gone from where she was. Looking around to find her, there she was sitting in her seat, with the same soft, white glow of everyone else. “Isn’t that French?” I thought aloud. “Why why why me. Aucun endroit comme solaire!” As if drawing back a curtain on the world itself, reeling back up, the purplish tint everything had taken vanished before my very eyes. And there I was once more, sitting in Professor Shaw’s lecture hall, listening to him finish his tangent about the value and historic presence of longbows used by ancient civilizations.

         Outside of the classroom, I leaned against the wall holding my incredibly large textbook, an worn and aged with use tome of a forest green, with a picture of some slap-happy man on the front giving a thumbs up. With a foot planted firmly against it as well I dazed off slightly. Watching as everyone filtered out, so many people and yet I knew none of their names. “Are any of them Awakened as well?” I wondered. This opened up something huge to me, a huge devouring abyss found its way into my mind, and I hungered for knowledge of all of this. Finally Kelly made her way out of the lecture hall with her Yankees cap and her ponytail bouncing slightly as she walked. “Let’s go, I don’t want to waste any time with anything else right now.” I commanded. “Ok Mr. tough guy!” she teased. We began to make our way down the hallway towards the ‘Math’ wing of the university. My fingers started to tingle intensely and I stopped for a second to examine them. Noticing this, Kelly stopped and pretended to look impatient. My heart dropped. My fingers had gained that soft, white glow that I saw from before. It raced up my arm towards my shoulders and began to envelope my face. Before being swallowed by it, I barely heard “Shit, you’ve got to be kidding me.”

         The world exploded with the purplish hue from before. Everyone taking on that ethereal glow, I knew something was wrong. “You there, we are looking for a certain fugitive that you’ve recently come into contact with. Where has he gone?” A deep voice questioned from behind me. Almost afraid to turn around to see what this held in store for me. “I really don’t know who he is. And he just disappeared in mist, honestly. I’m new to this.” I tried to explain. “You expect us to believe this? You don’t know him and he went somewhere you don’t know? Of course, of course. Well in that case, I don’t know how I’m going to beat you or how much.” He chuckled. As I moved to face them, a large hand gripped my shoulder. It was freezing to the touch, even through my jacket and shirt. “Don’t try to fight or run, you’re outmatched, Lorth could crush you before you even moved.” Stated the deep voice again. As he finished an overwhelming pain crashed against my temples causing my knees to buckle. “Hah, look at that. So scared he can’t even stand up.” The hand released from my shoulder and another voice chimed in. “Let’s just grab him and take him back, Zarkos will get what he needs from this guy.” The other man conceding “Fine fine, grab him and let’s make our way, we don’t have time to waste with finding this criminal.” My vision started to grow red as something washed over it; I could feel my tattoo pulsing once more. “Ple…as..e…he..lp….my..hea..d…I can…’t” I stuttered.

Chapter 4: Metamorphosis

         Audible gasps and shouts were all I heard as some of them made a move towards me. “Stop him before he’s fully possessed!!!!” shouted one of the other men. I felt light as a feather as I watched myself stand and face them without even making the conscious thought to. ‘I’ saw it wasn’t just men, but what looked to be a walking antique suit of armor. Slowly, but steadily ‘I’ made my way towards them. The suit of armor ran at ‘me’ and ‘I’ raised my hands to grapple it, it’s sheer weight and composition meant nothing to ‘me’. My arms bulging with muscle, veins tracing the length of them, the squeal of metal rung out as ‘I’ crushed his hands and ripped off his arms. The flames dancing behind his facemask flickered in surprise at this as he crumpled to the ground. ‘My’ tattoo producing such light that it was almost blinding to ‘me’, the red haze making it manageable. The deep voiced man stood there making a counter-clockwise pattern with his hands, within seconds a violent gust of air slammed into ‘me’, knocking ‘me’ back.

         ‘I’ roared in protest, clawing at the air. ‘I’ spoke, what came forth was nowhere near my voice, something much more primal, and so much stronger. “You FOOLS, you dare attempt to harm Pride’s advocate!? I will rend your useless bones, you are not even worthy to breath the same air as me! Run if you can pitiful beings, I will have my vengeance for such an affront!!” bellowed the monstrosity who placed hold over me. From even here, ‘I’ could see the fear and panic in the man’s eyes. His efforts doubled, as his counter-clockwise pattern grew even more complicated. ‘I’ could feel the air around ‘me’ begin to get sucked in towards him, his hands stopped moving and he grinned. Windows shattered, tiles cracked, parts of the roof caved in as this sonic boom issued forth from his hands. Roaring once more as this unstoppable movement came my way, ‘my’ arm slammed furiously across my body at this wind as if it was a person, shattering it. Sent out in different directions, the gust blew out the walls on either side of ‘me’. After this, everything went black as ‘my’ world slowly faded out. The last image imprinted in ‘my’ mind, was my hand grasping the man’s throat as he attempted to….scream.

         The next thing I know, I’m walking down a hallway, similar to the one at the university. Thump. My footsteps echoing off the tile flooring of the hallway, reverberating with such force it almost appears to ruffle window shades and send lamp flames dancing. Gazing down the corridor I see nothing but the end that branches off into a separate hall. Lined with windows covered by heavy shades, light barely creeps past to dimly light it. The innumerable lamps sputter in their glass prisons. Fighting for air to stay aflame, they begin to flicker eerily as if swayed by some silent melody. My vision blurring to the point of inability to see colors, the pain wracking my skull, sending shivers down my spine, and numbing my extremities. I trip over thin air, unable to do anything to slow my descent; I bring my hands forward to stop myself. Slamming into the tile, a grotesque crack echoes hauntingly down the hallway, bouncing off the walls, the sound amplified thousand fold. Strangely, I feel no pain, barely even the pressure associated with such an impact. Rolling onto my back and raising my hands to inspect any damage, I observe in just my right arm, protruding out of the skin, ever such a nice tear, is my ulna. “How did I not feel this pain?” I questioned myself. “Perhaps I’m in shock” I thought. Until it struck me, not only did I not feel the pain from this but, but no…..no blood came forth. No swelling, no bruising, no blood. Just torn flesh and shattered bone. The crushing pain throughout my head was real enough. Intensified was the hemorrhaging of cells abundant. “How…how…can this be…if I can’t bleed…why this pain..aga..in?” barely whispering before my vision began to break apart. “WHY!?” Before giving in, an ever so familiar whisper poured into my ear in a loving tone. “Rest easy cutey, we’re here now. Rest easy.”

         Slowly regaining consciousness, I see nothing but the pitch black of my eyelids. Having faint memories of the occurrences from only so short ago, or “how long have I been out?” I thought. As if signaling to me that I’m taking too long to awaken, I feel two pricks in the side of my neck, like something was about to enter. Opening my eyes to see the source of this annoyance and startled by what I saw, I jerked back quickly. This caused the person on top of me to quickly reel their head back. It was none other than Kelly straddling me. “What were you doing!?” I asked of her. Quickly wiping her mouth. “N..n..nothing at all. Sorry Dakota.” She said blushing and quickly left the room before I could say anything back to her. Bringing my hand to my neck to check, I felt something wet and quickly knew what it was. Viewing my fingers, I saw small drops of blood trickle down and wondered what the hell she thought she was doing biting me so hard. Besides that, why would she even do something like that, we aren’t even dating or anything, yet at least. Sighing loudly, I looked around the room to take in my surroundings. I was laying in a pretty large bed with four posts, all dark mahogany elegantly carved to resemble various animals from the jungle. Monkeys, leopards, birds, and even a wild boar or two it seemed. It was amazing how lifelike these animals all seemed, like they were somehow trapped in this wood in the prime of their lives. The sheets and blanket I was tucked into were a rich silk it seemed, I felt very warm, perhaps a little too much, but then again silk doesn’t breathe very well. Just a simple burgundy color was the blanket, framed in another material that I wasn’t quite sure of. It was intentionally frayed to give it a sort of regal look. The pillows were engulfing my head and seemed to be goose down, a bit too soft for my tastes. Surprisingly enough it seemed this room had no windows to speak of, with two lanterns on either side of the room to provide what little light they could.

         SLAM. My temples were crashing with pain again as the visions of the hallway lined with similar lanterns phased in and out. Quickly changing my focus, the pain subsided. Feeling something trickle down my nose and onto my lips, I wiped my face with the back of my hand. Blood smeared across as I realized my nose had begun flowing blood quite literally. Somehow just noticing that I wasn’t wearing a shirt, I leaned over the side of the bed to see my clothes neatly folded on the floor. I grabbed my shirt and held it to my nose. The rest of the room was quite astounding as well, almost something you might hear of from Napoleon’s memoirs. Throwing back the covers and swinging my feet around to plant firmly on the floor, I was quite thankful I at least had my boxers still on. Feeling quite hopeful, as there was no soreness or residual pain from my head before, I took the shirt away from my face and it seemed the bleeding had stopped. Slowly putting one leg through at a time, I pulled on my pants. Far too many times I’ve tried to rush putting on pants and fallen. Especially with what has happened, I wasn’t taking any chances. I put my shirt down on top of my jacket and just went shirtless for now; I was still much too hot to wear anything else. Thinking it would just be the room at this temperature, I grasped the ornately shaped door handles, two giant iron loops they appeared to be and pulled. Nothing. The door did not move did not give at all, no matter how much I strained myself it stayed. Quite upset with the heat, I proceeded to snuff out both lanterns hoping that would cause it to cool at least a little bit. In the dark, feeling my way over to the bed, I sat on the edge and began to think. “Ok so, I’m trapped in this room for now. At least Kelly knows I’m in here and will be back I hope. But this all is so much to take in, in such a short time.” I groaned. From what I’ve seen and heard so far I’ve been “Awakened”, found out there was Elysium and Solaire, met a un-named man able to disappear into thin air, Kelly is somehow able to defy physics, my tattoo is some ridiculous link to a demon or something that possessed me, and now there’s a group of people after me for god knows what. “What a day.” I said putting my arms behind my head.

Chapter 5: Lecture Hall

         A knock at the door brought me out of my musings. Without waiting for an answer I felt the air move and something else was there. “Knocking just to be polite?” I questioned unsure. A familiar voice responded. “Just didn’t want to catch you naked, but seems you just decided to put the lights out instead.” A second later, both the lanterns danced to life with a renewed vigor. The figure standing there now, had a robe with a hood shrouding their face. That voice, I knew it from somewhere, I’ve heard it a million times, but from where. It was very feminine but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Bringing her hands to hold either side of the hood, she jerked it back revealing her face and golden mane of hair. “Professor Faulkland!” I shouted almost overjoyed. “Nice observation Mr. Blue.” She quipped. “Kelly had told me we needed to talk to you, that you’d explain things to me. Because this is all too much, I need a reality check.” I stated. “Well well, we have much time to discuss these things. No one will be able to find us here.” she nodded. “Where is here?” I hesitantly asked. “We are in Elysium. We are somewhere safe to all. No harm will come to us here. Not even the Caretakers have say here.” She answered rather smugly.  Frustrated I said “Who are the Caretakers? That’s the second time I’ve heard that name. And those guys who attacked me said a name, Zark something. Who were they, who is he and what did they want from me?” “Oh dear. The Caretakers are basically the regulators of Elysium, trying to prevent anything that breaks their ‘laws’ from happening. And that name they mentioned is Zarkos Slazim. He is a Grand Alchemist and leader of the Caretakers. His father created the organization, and when he passed, the mantle fell to him.” Stated Ms. Faulkland. “And those men were Caretakers if you were still unsure. The reason being for that altercation was you being brought to Elysium without being awakened first. The man who Awakened you is a fugitive here in Elysium, he is an Alchemist as well, just a different type than most.” She continued.

         “Ok, so the Caretakers want me to help them find him? But I tried to tell them I don’t know where he was! And Alchemists? What are they, and how is he different than most of ‘them’?” I inquired. “It doesn’t matter that you don’t know they won’t believe you. Yes, just as you are one of The Binded, there are others besides just them. Alchemists are others who have been cursed in a different way. They’re able to manipulate their surroundings to their will. And to the second part, there are two different kinds.” She paused to exhale and inhale slowly, very methodically. “There are Well Alchemists, who are only able to take from their surroundings, that is the group I fall under. We can only change and destroy. I had to use a lighter to ignite those lanterns from a distance. And then there are Fountain Alchemists. They’re more unique, not only able to bend their surroundings, but can create matter to use. They wouldn’t require a lighter to do the same feat I just did but they aren’t able to destroy matter or life.” She smirked at this. Taking this as some sort of inside grudge against them, I saw the opportunity to interject. “So Well Alchemists tend to just cause harm while Fountain Alchemists are more so inclined to help?” “That’s what most think but, everyone is just as likely as us to cause harm. Just because we’ve been cursed with the ability to destroy, doesn’t mean it’s always used maliciously.” She said getting defensive at my question. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to assume, just appeared that way. What is Kelly then?” “Why don’t you ask Ms. Silvers yourself?”

         Appearing out of thin air, there was Kelly with her lovely brown waves crashing about her head. Dressed differently, she was wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Saying “Solar Powered”, in a graffiti type style seen during the 70s across her light yellow shirt and a pair of tight fitting jeans to my joy. She opened her mouth slightly, and a whisper issued forth into my ear as always. “I wasn’t kidding when I said ‘when you’ve been around as long as I have’ Dakota.” Throwing her a quizzical stare, I awaited an explanation. “I’m one of the ancient, a hunter of the night. Anne Rice has an obsession with us.” She released. “A vampire!?” I was more than startled at this. The girl that I liked so much was not a girl at all. A woman, possibly centuries old!? “Yes, I’ve watched Paris play from the shadows during Napoleon’s fall, the plague ravage the dark ages, even that bearded fellow so many seem to worship.” My jaw dropped, almost in a stupor. “There isn’t much to worry anymore; we’ve discovered a way to conquer our blood thirst, no longer requiring us to consume humans. We still lust, but that’s about it.” She assured me as she pointed at my neck. “I am really sorry about that Kota….” Groaning and letting myself fall back onto the bed, watching the blankets and pillows ripple out from it, they stood there. “He needs time to clear his head, a lot has happened for a young man to comprehend.” Dr. Faulkland directed at Kelly. “But I don’t want to….leave him.” She whimpered. “Do as you please Ms. Silvers, just play nice.” As if out of habit rather than necessity, she brought her hood forward to hide her face. Professor Faulkland, with a quick wave of her hand, disappeared from the room.  The lantern flames seemed to dip low at this, bathing the room in only a soft almost reddish light, very comforting I thought. I laid there staring at the relief carved into the canopy of this magnificent bed; it was of the moon and the stars dancing playfully among themselves. I felt the bed shift next to me and then gently, two arms found their way around my back and chest. Softly embracing me Kelly whispered. “I was afraid they had taken you Kota…I’m glad you’re ok.” She began to breathe slowly. “Me too, me too.” I responded sleepily. Feeling her nuzzle my arm lovingly and her breathe rhythmically on my neck, I let sleep take me into its folds willingly for once.

Chapter 6: Those Mid-Monday Soul Blues

         The sun was starting to lazily begin its descent and the wind began to pick up slightly as it gradually got colder out. Sitting at a table outside a bustling coffee shop, were three younger adults casually sipping their beverages. Looking down to check his watch, it was 30 minutes after five and the person they were expecting was nowhere to be seen. “He’s usually never late, something huge must’ve happened. Was there a bomb threat or anything down at the University today?” asked a rather pale young lady, with dazzling red bangs escaping out from under her winter cap with her scarf slightly muffling her voice to prevent her little nose from getting wind burn. “Impossible, who would call a bomb threat on this University? And Dakota can’t stand not being early, let alone actually being late. Something had to have happened to him.” Responded a tall yet thin and wiry bearded man. Barely able to even see his lips move due to his thick beard that easily covered his face and neck. He leaned back in his metal framed chair as he said this. A thick mane of hair plumping up his hat styled in the liking of Cuba’s dictator. “I hope he’s ok…” gently whispered the thin redhead. “Ugh, do we have to wait for him? I’m sure he’s fine. It’s getting cold out here and I don’t want to sit here forever.” butted in the third person sitting at their ornate, metal framed table.

         Wearing a winter cap similar to the redhead, she had very blonde curly hair that came in waves out from under it. She wasn’t as skinny or pretty as the other girl, but she had a natural tan, a great smile and something about her just made you want to squeeze her like a teddy bear. “What is wrong with you? You complain about the cold and only care about yourself when our friend is missing. It’s no wonder you’re single Amelia, I don’t know if any guy could handle that.” Snapped the bearded man, quite fed up with her whining. “Try his phone again, he always has that thing glued to him.” Offered the petite girl. “Ok, I’ll give it one more try but the last thing I got from him was that something weird happened today with a girl he really liked. And that was easily six hours ago.” Responded the gruff man. At the mention of Dakota and another girl, the blonde girl looked uneasy and focused her eyes downward as if she was lost in thought. Holding the phone up to his ear, it rang through and got Dakota’s voicemail; a very quirky and exactly Dakota-esque imitation of a thug message. Smiling at this, he quickly shook his head and said “No answer again, try giving his mom a call Claire, see if maybe he’s there with her.” Quickly nodding and searching for a number in her phone, the redhead began waiting as the phone rang. “Hi Mrs. Blue! I’m doing good thanks for asking. I was actually calling to see if Dakota was there with you, he isn’t answering his phone, and he was supposed to meet us at the coffee shop.” She wrinkled her brow slightly in worry and then said “Ok well, if we catch up with him, we’ll have him call you first. His phone is probably just dead. Have a good night Mrs. Blue.” Claire shook her head to signal no luck. “Well, I don’t want to call the police just yet, I’m going to head down to the University, you girls go inside and keep warm. Your phone got a good charge Claire?” asked the man. “Why yes Mr. Andre!” she joked. “That’s my girl, if I hear anything I’ll let you know.” He got up, zipped up his coat even more, swatted the imaginary dust off his pants and leaned over and gave Claire a quick kiss on the lips. Claire just sat there with eyes shining and glowing as Andre walked off down the sidewalk towards the University. “I’m so jealous of you Claire! Andre is such a great guy, and you’re so happy together! Why can’t I have that?” she whined again. “How can you even say that? You knew Dakota liked you, he told you he had a crush on you for goodness sake, what more does he have to do? He even took you on a date and you had him stay at your place….on the couch.” quipped Claire. “Yeah….but he kept saying how excited he was to get to spend time with me and he probably just wants to sleep with me.” Amelia responded. “Oh jesus. The LAST thing Dakota wants right now is sex. He wants a real relationship, not some fling with another girl. He loves cuddling almost as much as sex, the like ONLY guy who does. And you hurt him.” Claire threw her hands in the air and quickly walked over to the door opening it and waited for Amelia to move. “I’m just so mad at him that he had to know if I’d really date him just because of that friend zone crap he kept mentioning.” She complained. “He was trashed and barely able to speak when he called you, and it’s not his fault you don’t know about the friend zone. He was just trying to talk to you and was drunk during. He really does mean well.” Claire defended their friend. “Well he just came on too strong.” Amelia snapped. “Oh please, you’re such a drama queen, now get inside it’s freezing out here.” Claire said getting impatient waiting in the cold. Both girls went inside the warm coffee shop where you could hear a deep, husky voice with some thick, twangy guitar riffs float through the air.

         She complains I never give enoughhhh. But I had given her my heart and my life. Can’t please that womannnn, she ain’t never satis-fieddd. Oh ho, I’m packing my bags, taking the train to those neon lights and palm trees baby. Don’t you worry, I won’t miss youuuu.

         The sun glared down upon the perfectly white beach. The mere heat was more than enough to bleach the entire landscape, with the land’s only respite being the crashing waves yearning to touch even further up the sandy hill. White mist sprayed from the waves breaking, remarkable considering the waves were rather small to splatter so. It stretched forever, engulfing the rest of the world in its blanket of rich azure. Never had I seen such blue and clean water, easily seeing the different schools of multi-colored fish dart in-between colonies of coral. Palms trees with their enormous leaves lazily hanging over the sand casting playful shadows which swayed gently with the sea breeze. Thanking whatever entity out there for the sunglasses protecting my fragile eyes from the images reflected off this expansive mirror. I laid my head to the side and saw lying there next to me on a deep red towel was Kelly. She had been looking at me the whole time I guess, however long I’ve been laying here. With her wonderful brown locks and bangs slightly hiding her face, she wore very large, black rimmed sunglasses with a dark rose tint to them. I hadn’t even realized she was wearing a bikini until now, how simply amazing she looked was beyond words. The curves of her body and the slow rise and fall of her chest as she breathed in and out mesmerized me. I found myself lost in her sunglasses as she slowly reached over, placing her arms around me and opening her mouth slightly. It didn’t seem like she was going in for a kiss and I noticed her fangs extended as she got ever closer to me. Trying to speak and inquire as to what’s going on, I found myself unable to even articulate a sound. For fear of the bite, my mind sent out commands to my arms and legs to protect myself in any way possible to no avail, nothing budged. I was stuck in some sort of paralysis but I was conscious. Her menacing fangs got ever closer and closer until I could feel her breathe on my neck once more. My mind reeling in terror as I knew this was not a good thing no matter what the intentions were. I could hear the steady rhythm of the waves crashing upon the shore, the seagulls calling out to each other, and the slow crunch of sand as she sunk them into my flesh.

         “NOOOOOOOO STOP!” yelling as I came awake startled by this terrible nightmare. Sweat was pouring down my brow and I could feel the sheets were slightly damp. Shaken awake by my sudden outburst, Kelly sleepily opened her eyes and looked up at me. Running her fingers up and down my back, I could feel her nails scratching any worries away. “What’s wrong Kota?” she whispered to me. “I had the worst dream you could imagine. It was so real I could feel the pain.” I responded as I placed my fingers on my neck. Panic gripped me as I felt two small wounds on my neck; they weren’t wet but still tender. “What did you do!?” I demanded. Unable to meet my gaze, she made a pouty face as she said “I’m sorry, I just couldn’t stop myself, it was as if something was controlling me. I did other things too…” she slowly trailed off at this. At this, realizing what happened I quickly grabbed the blanket around me, holding it fast as I stood up for some sense of decency. “I trusted you…” I numbly replied. “Nothing bad happened, you’re still human! I didn’t draw any blood; it just felt so good when I pierced you. Sorry…” she defended. “Sorry? Is sorry something that should make me feel better. Like I can carry ‘sorry’ around in my pocket and show people?” I snapped. “Why are you so mad, there’s nothing wrong with you? You didn’t seem to mind in your sleep, you were smiling as I bit in.” she offered. “This is so, so wrong. I don’t even know you that well, there’s so much about you that seems to not exist or be completely different than normal. And for you to do that, it’s just too much for me right now.” I moaned. “Please don’t be upset, you’re ok and nothing is wrong here. Come over to the window with me, you like blues don’t you Kota?” she said as she gracefully slipped out from under the covers and arose lithely, almost sliding her way to the window. Faintly I could hear a man singing and playing guitar and quickly recognized it. “Wait a second, are we above?” before I could finish “Yes the coffee shop you and your friends meet at all the time.” “How did you know that…?” I asked flustered. “I know a lot more about you than you think, I don’t need to sleep Kota, it’s more a habit than needed. Come here.” Her whispers danced in my ears. Moving to the window to stand beside her, I put my arm around her lower back and pulled her in closely. She laid her head softly on my shoulder as we both looked out at the setting sun, with a thick green horizon of trees cutting it short. Through the walls I could faintly hear the man singing.

Can’t please that womannnn, she ain’t never satis-fieddd. Working all day and niteee to pay her bills, stumbling in for rest. She don’t give a damn, she want her man when she wants him. Oh ho, can’t lift my arms no more, not even to hug my baby. She gon’ be mad with me, she complains I never give enoughhhh.
© Copyright 2009 RevJC (atomov at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631510-Sanguine