*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631946-Madeline
Rated: · Short Story · Dark · #1631946
A little girl and her mother survived a fire, but can they get home?
A fire ravished the outskirts of Paris. Out of the 89 residents who lived within the building, only 4 survived. An elderly couple, a mother and her daughter, whose name is Madeline.

"Mama," A child calls out in the dark, damp, empty streets of Paris. "Mama, I want to go home." She coughed hoarsely.
"Madeline, where are you?"
"Mama, I'm right here." She reached out and hugged her mother. "When can we go home?"
"Soon mon bebe, very soon." She pulled her small child into her arms and sat down on the cold cobblestone street.
"Mama, I want to go home." Madeline was growing weaker.
"I know cherie, I know." Being the mother she is, she can't help but to be positive, even in the bleakest of times.
"Mama,"
"Hush now Madeline. Everything will be alright." A silent tear rolled down her face, as she comforted her daughter.
"Mama, I am going home." She grew weaker.
"How can you? You don't even know where we are." She chuckled nervously.
"It doesn't matter,"
"Oh yes it does, you don't know how to get to the bridge, let alone to our home."She scoffed. "We watched our home burn down." Tears poured down her face.
"So?" Madeline's eyes were growing heavy.
"'So?'What do you mean so?"
"It doesn't matter, and there is nothing either of us can do to stop it. Goodbye Mama." Madeline coughed and hacked, her little body not willing to fight. Before her mother could object, the life left Madeline's small frail body.

Madeline went home.
© Copyright 2010 Sashimi (lady_sasha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1631946-Madeline