*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632155-God-of-the-Band
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1632155
A bandie with a heart of gold and knees of glass is the director's pet.
“You deserve to be section leader next year and you know it.”

Lily had heard this a million times from Jen, Maureen, Sharon, Mom, Dad, even her baby sister, Katie- who didn’t even know what a section leader was. But now the affirmation came from a truly unexpected source. She ran into her band director in the supermarket. They both had small baskets rather than carts; Lily’s was full of milk, eggs, and Katie’s favorite animal crackers, a quick list from Mom. Bachelor Mr. Laney’s was full of TV dinners. Lily smiled to herself, then politely asked him how he was- and he responded by proclaiming she was destined to lead the flugelhorn section. Okay, weird.

A deep blush covered her thick Irish freckles, but she tried to hide how pleased she was. “I’d rather take a lower chair and wait to be promoted than take a higher chair and risk being humiliated,” she said, feigning calm dignity. With braces, a frizzy blonde ponytail, old sneakers and a basket full of animal crackers, the sixteen-year-old girl was trying to be dignified. Her statement was a paraphrase from somewhere in the Bible.

Laney ruined it by making a funny face at her. She almost laughed, but that would have completed the process of making her piety a joke. Still, both teacher and student knew they were both Christians; Laney wasn’t being too offensive. “Don’t do this to me, kid! You have waited, and I am the one who has the power to promote you.”

“’Cause in the band room or on the marching field, you’re God, right?” she teased, and began heading for checkout. But there was a long line- and Mr. Laney joined it, right behind her. She’d failed to escape. “I won’t be the only senior next year,” Lily said, sounding slightly bitter.

She was facing away from him, but in her mind’s eye she could see Mr. Laney rolling his eyes and running his hand over his bald spot, the way he did when he was frustrated. “You gotta’ stick up for yourself. You’re a good kid- good person- who deserves to have a little power. Don’t let her take it from you.”

“Jess is a better marcher than me.”

“We both know that’s not your fault.” He touched her shoulder and she turned to look at him. “You’re the better musician- and human being.”

“When I fell in the parade- okay, dislocated my knee and couldn’t help it,” she admitted to his stern look, “she got ‘em all to laugh at me.”

“Well that’s just proof that she’s not fit to lead ‘em!”

Lily shook her head and stared at the floor. “And it proves that I’m not fit to lead them, either. How can I when they’ll just laugh at me?”
© Copyright 2010 Catalynn J. (catalynnj88 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632155-God-of-the-Band