*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632627-Sunset
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Emotional · #1632627
A reflection on what went wrong...the one that got away
I saw a sunrise once. Really early, when the sun first rose into the sky. Laying on a blanket on the beach, curled into the arms of my true love of the week, the colors exploded across the sky. I haven't seen one since...and I don't ever want to again. It could be because it could never be as beautiful as that sunset on the beach, or because I love sleep way to much to get up at four, but probably because Kyle, well, he was the one who got away.
I've dated my fair share of men. Lets be honest here, I've been described as a heart-breaker, a man-eater, and, for those less creative, a plain old bitch. I don't try to be,really, I hate how insensitive I can be. I fall in love at the drop of a hat, but that's not the problem, the problem is that I fall out of love just as easily. Kyle was different. He was the first man to ever break up with me, I usually do the (brutal) dumping. .He was surprising, things with him never happened the way I expected it to.
But I digress, I'll try to stick to the point. I met Kyle in late April. I had just broken up with my current boyfriend. Sadly, I can't remember who it was, it could have been Derrick, the guy with the freakishly long nails, or maybe Eric, the guy who cried more than I did. Anyways, I have a tradition. Whenever I break up with a man, I go to Starbucks and get a expensive, fatty drink. I don't do it because I am depressed, I do it because it is an excuse to indulge. I once broke up with a boyfriend because i wanted a vanilla bean frap. I'm not proud of it, but there you go. I'm off track again. I broke up with Derrick/Eric, and booked it over to the nearest Starbucks, and when I say booked it, I'm not kidding. Have you ever seen a crazy blonde running wild through New York in three inch stilettos? No? Well your missing out. I don't suggest you try it, I hate breaking heels, especially in sewer grates, talk about embarrassing. I flew through the air, scarf whipping around my neck, and landed in the arms of a GORGEOUS man. Tall, long hair. Dark and brooding, but the biggest smile you have ever seen. Man I hate it when people laugh at me.
"Thank you for saving me. I'm going to leave now so you can laugh freely." I (reluctantly) stood up, straightened my skirt, and ducked into Starbucks.
"Oh come on honey, don't run away. I got all my laughing out, I promise."
"Um hum. Sure. Look these things are not easy to walk in!"
"Or run in, as the case may be," The handsome stranger burst into laughter, "I'm sorry, sorry...really, let me buy you a coffee."
"I'm ok, thanks." I stormed off in a huff of pretend anger. "Please insist, please insist!" I thought to myself. I walked up to the counter and order a frivolous drink chock full of chocolate and calories, when he walked up.
"We'll have a tall black tea as well, please." He tossed his credit onto the counter and motioned me to a small table for two. I obliged.
Allow me to drift off topic for a moment. As a writer, I usually find myself making odd connections between people's personalities and there possessions, in this case the drinks me and my new friend had ordered. Take my drink for example, a Java Chip Frappucino. Unnecesary, frivolous, flashy, not necessarily the best thing for you, but hey, definitely sweet, and more than a little fun. And black tea? Reliable, familiar, simple, drama free. Is it possible I'm on to something? Back to the action.
This tall, handsome man slid into the table, passed me my drink, smiled, and said, "Kyle Smith. Glad I caught someone as feisty as you."
"My name is Jasmine. Has been for a couple months anyways," Kyles puzzled expression amused me, " I was born Samantha Thompson. Way to bland of a name for me. I'm a writer. Jasmine suits me. Jasmine No Last Name."


© Copyright 2010 Lily Tagloff (lilytagloff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632627-Sunset