*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632965-Ghost-in-the-Shadows
by Emily
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1632965
Harry Potter Short Story: This is a story of what happens to Fred after he died.
I was sent hurling through the air, at what felt like the speed of light, I landed in a dusty room. “WH-where am I?” I looked around quizzically as I dusted myself off. The room seemed oddly familiar, why was this room so familiar? I walked towards one of the beds and sat down on it as I scanned the room.

“George, dear, go upstairs into your old room and bring down the album. I want to show Hugo what Fred looked like at his age.”

My head shot up as I grinned from ear to ear as I heard my brother’s footsteps clomp up the stairs. I would soon find out how crazy this world is.  I bolted for the door and threw it open as the knob turned slowly, “GEORGE!” George looked around, walk past me without a single glance. I stood there puzzled, did he not see me? Surely, he did, I was standing right in front of him! “George?” I paused; he headed over to a picture of him and me playing a prank on Dad.

“Fred,” he sighed, I have [u]never [/u] heard him sigh, “I need your help; mom’s even more depressed than ever. I don’t know what to do, now that you’re gone.” Gone? Gone where? “I love you bro, I would have given my life instead, and you didn’t deserve this. Harry vowed to kill Voldemort for you and he did.” I ran a hand through my hair as I watched his mouth move but no sounds were uttered. What in the world was George talking about? I have never felt as confused in my entire life as I feel now. I needed to see my parents, my family. I ran down stairs or rather floated through them without knowing.

“Harry! Do not teach Albus that!” Ginny gave Harry a scornful look but she couldn’t help but smile as her husband taught their son how to fly on a broom. I watched a rather young boy climb onto the broom and Harry; he changed so much over the summer! I heard musical laugh and turned my head towards Hermione. I gaped, she had grown so beautiful and it looks like she was taken.

“Harry, Ginny’s right, Albus is far too young to ride that blasted broom.” She smiled in delight, as she watched Harry and his son.

“Nonsense! Dear, Albus is far too old not to know how to ride a broom.” Was that Ron? Yes, it was my little brother! My mind was still confused, why wouldn’t anyone notice me? It was like I was a ghost to them. “Harry, Ronnie, Hermy….Gin-Gin? Why in the blazes won’t you talk to me?”

“Because, Fred; they cannot hear you.” I froze; that voice. I knew that voice, but whom did it belong to? I turned around; there stood a man with a long white beard and half-moon spectacles.

“Why can’t they hear me?”

The man smiled a smile that I knew deep down in the marrow of my bones. “I can’t tell you that, Fred, you have to find out yourself.” He paused, as he reached into a bow, searching for a beartie bean.”Mmm. Ear wax.”

I sat down in a chair as the people surrounding me talked away. Why was it that I could hear them but they couldn’t hear me? “Why can’t you and who the bloody hell are you?” I titled my head at the elderly man. Images flashed in front of my eyes briefly as if they were trying to get me to remember.

“I’m not allowed to; He told me you would find out soon enough.” He paused, smiling at me, “In time you’ll remember, now come with me.” The man headed towards a door that led outside and soon disappeared. I didn’t know whether to follow him or not but something in my gut <strike>told</strike> pushed me to follow and I did.

"All things in this world are born into this life and then when the time comes, they pass into a whole new world." He paused as he picked up a chick, smiling, I watched him intently as he did so. This man was so strange yet his riddles made perfect sense. "A world that is great beyond compare and yet they are afraid of it. They know they're dead but they make themselves unaware of it." he paused; I took my chance to ask someone questions.

"If we are born and know we're going to die, then why are we born? If they know they're dead then why do they put themselves in greater pain?" I looked around; I smiled softly at the sight of Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Ronnie.

"Because, God loves us and wanted us to share the beauty of His world, He didn't make it just so he could stare at it. As for the second question, they do that because they don't want to be dead. They want to stay with the people, they love and the things they cherish."

I looked down at the ground as I soon began to realize that I wasn't alive. "Wait, you're Albus Dumbledore and you're dead, right?" He nodded slowly as he adjusted his glasses as I worked this out in my head. "So if you're dead then this is a dream right?"

Albus stared at me, "Close but not close enough, and don't ponder on it so much. It'll come to you in time, like I said before. Alas, I must leave you for awhile," he laughed at my expression, "don't worry so much Fred, it will come."

I watched as Albus walk towards a bright light and slowly he disappeared. As soon as he did, I walked over to where my friends-well family were. I sat down, smiling as I listened to them.

A girl that was almost the spitting image of Hermione ran over to her and whispered into her ear. Hermione nodded and sent the girl to go and play.

"Ron, come here, please." Hermione seemed startled as she asked for Ron. As soon as Ron came up, she spoke, "Ron Rose says Fred is here."

"What?" He seemed as puzzled as I was; I leaned forward to listen to them. "That's nonsense, Fred has been dead for over nineteen years, and you know that."

"I know, Ronald. But she insists that he's over near the flower bed."

The girl, this little girl could see me! Maybe, just maybe, she might be able to hear me but I remember that Albus said they can't. [i]There's always loop-holes. [/i] I sprang up and ran over to the girl, leaving Ron and Hermione to talk. My mind knew Ron had said the word 'dead' but my spirit wouldn't listen to it. I took a piece of paper and a crayon from the stack near the girl. I began to write as fast as I could. As soon as I finished, I laid it before the little girl, waiting. She picked it put and to my dismay, she crumbled it!

"Why are you doing that? Why?" I screamed, tears of frustration filling my eyes. A sucking force took over me, dragging me away from her and into the dining room of my house where Ginny and Harry sat.

"Dear, you worry too much. Albus is young and will believe in that." Harry placed a reassuring grip on her shoulder as she stared at him.

"Harry, he swears Fred is here. I think we need some help on this one." Ginny buried her head in her hands.

Why can't they believe this little girl or boy? I was so engrossed in their conversation that I didn't notice Albus return.

"Fred,” He placed a hand on my shoulder, images again flashed before me but stayed. The fight, the ruse and every before came back to me.

[i]
Left: [b] No! [/b]I can't be dead....I can't be dead!
Right: Oh! But you are.
Left: Leave me alone! [/i]

As my mind fought itself for reassurance, I noticed that everyone had come in from outside for dinner. "It's time to go."

Tears stung my eyes; I sniffed, "I know." I looked up at him, "Can I say good-bye?"He nodded and removed his hand from my shoulder. I stood up, walking towards the table where they now all sat. I kissed every one of their heads, even the ones I didn't know. I stopped near George; I threw my arms around him. "I love you, bro. Keep yourself in trouble, continue to the pranks."I laughed softly as I kissed his forehead, before slowly backing away. His expression changed. tears began to form in his eyes. He excused himself from the table and <strike>walked</strike> ran up the stairs and into what was our room. I didn't bother to wipe the tears; the black hand of Albus was placed on mu shoulder. "You're ready now." I nodded, knowing that I was. I allowed myself to be steered towards a bright light. My foot reached it and the warmth of the light coursed through my body. I took one look back at my family, "I love you, all." I waved to the little kids who smiled back at me.

I turned to Albus,"They knew you were there and they could hear you but they wanted to try to keep it a secret."

"Why?" I stared at him as we stopped at the brim of the light.

"Because, you are their uncle that they lost. They never knew you. This was their way of knowing." He smiled at me and I returned the smile. We both soon slowly disappeared into the light, my words echoed through George who smile at me in the picture as the tears flowed down his cheeks.

My name is Fred Weasley and this was-is my story of how I came to realize that my death was not in vain nor was it a punishment. It was a blessing; you could say, to die and watch your friends and family before you realize it isn't a dream. I was a ghost in the shadows of not knowing why they couldn't hear or see me but, now I am a ghost no more. I am in a peaceful paradise that everyone will come to know and love. I look forward to helping my brother pass and my friends pass into this world, for they will rejoice with after they're done being a mere ghost in the shadows.

© Copyright 2010 Emily (forever_young at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1632965-Ghost-in-the-Shadows