*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633875-The-Girls-Book-chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Friendship · #1633875
a graduation present for my girlfriends and a present for my soldier when he gets home
Emily was unloading the last box of her things in front of her new apartment building across the street from the hospital that she would be working 12 hour shifts for school at TMCC, after she was done with this crap she was going to head over to her friend Brita's place for a little friend reunion. Emily made it to her floor when she noticed the door into her apartment open, she silently set down her box of kitchen appliances and retrieved her mom's skillet, she heard footsteps coming from inside and yelled, "Step out of the apartment slowly, hands first!" The footsteps stopped for a minute.
"I'm not here to hurt you." A man's voice.
"I'm not going to tell you again, get the hell out of my apartment! If not, you'll feel the wrath of my iron skillet and i'm not talking figuratively!" Hands appeared outside the doorway immediately, and Emily saw the ranks on his jacket, it was an Air Force soldier. "Justen?" The man stepped out, no, it wasn't him, she shouldn't have expected it to be, he hadn't contacted her in so long and he was supposed to have returned back for leave in March, but no, it wasn't him.
"So, you must be the famous Emily Hale?" She just nodded. "He spoke about you everyday; we were bunkmates during our stay in Iraq." Were? "He was right about your beauty, you can't describe it, you just have to see it in person." Was? Why was he talking to her in past tense? She took a deep breath, that's why he's here.
"What happened?"
'Do you remember the heart attack last year?" Emily just nodded again. "He had another one." Her heart dropped.
"He didn't live through this one, did he?" He shook his head and her heart shattered, she knew that a love like this wouldn't last, Fate had hated her so much, this must've been the cherry on top of her disaster sundae.
"If that is all there is, then i shall retire, is there anthing else?" The soldier caught his breath and reached into hi sinside pocket and retrieved an envelope.
"This is all he had left in his personal belongings from the states." Emily took the letter, grabbed her box and rushed into the apartment, slammed the door shut, locked it, dropped the box back to the ground, clutched the letter to her chest and screamed.
Two weeks later...
Brita took the spare key to the apartment from her coat pocket and unlocked the door. It was dead silent in Emily's apartment, only her CD player playing the same CD of love songs that she put on about a week ago. "Hey Em, you still alive?" She turned back to Katie, Athena and Lizzi behind her, "Come on." And they all snuck inside.
Emily laid on her mattress on the floor with a sheet over her head and a pile of kleenex next to her head, her hair a mess, she gave up on getting out of bed about a week ago when she tried putting on a CD so she could take a shower when Soulja Boy's Kiss Me Thru the Phone came on and she flopped back down on the bed balling her eyes out again. She heard the voices in the apartment but paid no attention to them, maybe if i stay quiet enough they'll think i disappeared and will leave. But the door creaked open and Brita's head popped into view.
"Found her!" Emily threw her pillow at her.
"Do you have to yell so loud?!" Tears started to roll again and she flopped back down.
"Oh no you don't, you need to get up, have you eaten anything?" She shook her head. "Have you had anything to drink, you look dehydrated." Emily pointed to the gallon of water next to the giant pile of tissues, Brita plugged her nose
© Copyright 2010 Adalyn Michaels (crazysister at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1633875-The-Girls-Book-chapter-1