*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1634016-An-Unexpected-Homecoming
Rated: 18+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1634016
Entry for Dialogue 500 contest.

W/C 457

An unexpected Homecoming


“Oh My God! What the bloody hell are you doing here? Jesus, get in and shut the door before someone sees you!”

“Hi Susie. I’m in the area. I had to sneak off and see you, even if it’s only for a few minutes. How are you and the folks? Have they forgiven me yet?”

“Oh you know dad. Stick your head in your work and all will be well! Mum was a bit shaken for a while, but she is OK now. She hasn’t really said much. I don’t suppose there was much she could say, to be fair.”

“No, I suppose not. What about you Sis? How have you been?”

“I’m good. Tony and I are still arguing about where we are going to live; should I move in with him or him with me, or should we bite the bullet and get somewhere new.
“Joe, are you sure this is what you want? Are you happy? Are you enjoying it?”

“I love it! Seriously it suits me down to the ground. I live out of a suitcase, I get to travel and to be honest, I’m quite good at it too!”

“But a spy Joe!”

“It was the price for my freedom. Getting caught with those drugs was stupid, but, I think it saved my life. I’m clean now and I’m really making a contribution to society. I’ve already helped break one gang. Oh, and for the record, I’m not a spy, I’m an undercover operative!”

“Semantics! Seriously, are you in any danger?”

“Nah! The cops have me covered, and I am careful. Don’t tell the folks Sis. It’s better they think I’ve just run away from the law, to escape jail. Having a druggie for a son was hard enough for them to take. They don’t need to be worrying. It’s better they continue to disown me.
“I miss you Susie. I miss you all. It was the hardest decision I ever had to make. It really is for the best though. You do see that don’t you?”

“As mad as it sounds, yes I do. Now drink your coffee before you run off again. I do understand why you don’t want to or can’t keep in touch regularly, but please, is there a way you can just let me know you’re OK?”

“I’ll have a word with the boss. There’s probably something they can work out. Now I have to go before I’m missed. I really shouldn’t have come, but I had to let you know I’d not forgotten you.”

“Take care of yourself Joe. Thanks for taking the risk. I’ll watch the news for the next big drugs bust!”

“Bye Sis. I’ll be in touch somehow.”


© Copyright 2010 Dianne J (diannej at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1634016-An-Unexpected-Homecoming