*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1634638-The-Games-Prologue
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1634638
Drunk tells story of Lyle the Raven
Prologue

         It had been a cloudy day with the constant threat of a storm.  The wind howled like a pack of wolves and blew over the grasses in the fields, so they were almost parallel with the ground.  Everyone stayed inside unless they had to go out in this windstorm soon to be thunderstorm.  Daily chores and preparations for the coming storm were done quickly.  Animals were brought into the barns and locked in, so they couldn’t escape if they were panic-stricken. 

         The town inn, The Sleeping King, was busy as usual in spite of the coming storm.  People were drinking lighter tonight.  The usual customers were sitting in their favorite spots: at the bar or at tables in the main room.  They were quietly discussing the troubling storm.  The inn was quiet except for the small mutters from the few conversations.

         The door to the inn opened, letting in some of the strong wind.  With the door open, the wind sounded even louder.  Three small children entered and sat a table near the fireplace.  One was a girl, and she appeared to be guiding one of the two boys to the table. 

         The barkeep walked over to them and greeted them heartily.  “It’s good to see you again.  Has it been a week already?  How are you, Elizabeth? Jason? And, of course you, Franz?” he asked with a smile on his face.

         “I’m good, as is my brother,” replied Elizabeth. 

         Elizabeth, or Izzy as she liked to be called, was a kind young girl; she was very well mannered.  She was about seven years old and so was her twin, Jason.  Izzy had strawberry blonde hair that she kept in a ponytail at the back of her head.  Her emerald eyes were enthralling to most that looked upon them.  She was wearing a once white dress that was hand-stitched by her mother.

         Her twin brother, Jason, was blind and relied on her.  He was born blind, and his irises were black just like his pupils.  Jason was a sickly child who was often ailed with coughing fits.  He also had strawberry blonde hair like his sister and mother, but his was short and unkempt.  He wore a black robe with an attached hood which he usually kept over his head.

         “I am good, too,” said Franz.

         Franz was a kind boy, but he was very shy and silent.  He was a very loyal friend though and would always protect his friends.  His best friends were Jason and Izzy, and he was seven just like they were.  He had short spiked hair that was patches of jet black hair and silvery white hair.  He had black irises like Jason, but he was not blind; quite the opposite in fact. He could see everything clearly in the dark as if it was daytime.  He was wearing average brown breeches and a dirty white shirt.

         “Can I get you anything?” asked the barkeep.  “We have a warm clam chowder that is quite delicious, if I say so myself.”

         “We’ll have three then, sir,” replied Izzy.

         “I’ll be right back with three bowls full,” said the barkeep.

         He returned with the three bowls of clam chowder.  He left to tend to his other customers.  The children ate and had a small conversation with each other.  When they were done with their soups, the barkeep came back to their table.

         “Can I get you anything else?” he asked as he was collecting the empty bowls off the table.

         “No, thank you,” replied Izzy for the group.

         A drunk from a nearby table was stumbling to the bar when he clumsily bumped into the children’s table.  He forgot why he was heading to the bar, so he asked the children a question.  “Would you like to hear a story?” asked the drunk, his words slurring together.

         “Sir, go back to your seat and don’t bother my other customers, or I will have to ask you to leave,” stated the barkeep.

         The drunk ignored the barkeep and asked the children again if they wanted to hear a story.

         “We were actually about to leave to go home before the storm, sir,” said Izzy.  Franz nodded in agreement.

         “I want to hear a story,” stated Jason.

         He was normally silent most of the time, because he had coughing fits whenever he tried to talk.

         The barkeep, Izzy, and Franz looked at him in complete surprise.  Izzy and Franz shrugged at each other.

         “Fine, we will stay a little longer to hear a quick story,” said Izzy.

         The barkeep left to calm down an argument at the bar that was escalating between two drunks.

         The drunk pulled a chair over to the children’s table and sat down.  He started his story to the children.  The slurring in his voice was completely gone now as if he wasn’t drunk at all.

         This is his story…

© Copyright 2010 Felix Graves (ryans at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1634638-The-Games-Prologue