*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635126-Shadowing-The-Enemy
Rated: · Short Story · Drama · #1635126
When you least expect she will be there.
A tap caught her ear, another tap and another. Lucy knew it was going to happen. This was her first real chance to prove to her roomates that she could hold her own with the best of them. Lucy couldn't help but wonder what their reaction would be.

The older one, Duane would be the hardest to win over. Lucy could tell, no matter how he tried to be nice , that he merely viewed her with slight amusement. He would never take her seriously, until she proved that she had the stomach to do this.

Susie was different, she was more concerned, more empathetic. A bleeding heart that seemed to get in the way most of the time.

This was Lucy's big chance to prove that she was as good, if not better than these two. This was going to be her one big hit.

If all went as she had planned, they would be singing her praises.

Another tap, tap. Her lips quivered, nervous and excited. This was her first time. Lucy didn't know if her roommates had ever done something so awe-inspiring. Her head pounded with anticipation. Tonight she would kill.

The victim could sense that he was being watched. His heart was pounding so hard that he could hardly move. He stared into those large green eyes. They were beautiful, sinister with an almost hypnotic effect on him. He slunk deep into the corner, hoping she couldn't see him. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Cold and hunger had driven him to seek out this ominous house. Hoping no one else lived here, he had decided to seek refuge. Unfortunately for him, the house appeared to be haunted. A huge black shadow crept closer, as if wanting to envelope him. He could smell the bad breath, and hear voices coming from the sky.

"Duane! Lucy's got a mouse cornered! Come help. I don't want him killed."

"Fine, come on girl, shoo!"

Lucy growled, she knew that Susie had foiled her plan. This was her first big hunt, and that bleeding heart had ruined it. Duane patted her head, "You tried, good girl."

Lucy glared at Susie, but then softened. The whirr of the can opener meant there was a can of tuna at the end of the rainbow.

Tomorrow night, Lucy knew she would get the chance again.
© Copyright 2010 Rose E Cobra (rosecobra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635126-Shadowing-The-Enemy