*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635227-The-Greatest-Treasure
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1635227
Cora seeks, finds and attempts to escape with a valuable treasure
Coraline could hear the voices below, loud, with no care for how their voices betrayed them. She kept to the shadows, footsteps making not a whisper as she sought a certain door in the large estate. A dozen steps took her to a closed door and she tested the handle. No need for her to pick the lock, she quickly slipped into the room and she let her eyes adjust to the darkness.

Moonlight from the window reflected off of crystal statues and sent multicolored lights into the shadows. A good thief didn’t waste time, “in an out” was her motto. She went to a wall covered with books and began her search.

Steps from the just vacated hall approached the door and Coraline quickly crouched down just as the door opened. She held her breath and listened as the door quickly closed and the steps continued down the hall. She noticed a reflection on her arm the color of blood and gasped air back into her lungs as she quickly realized she wasn’t hurt. Violence was another thing a good thief avoided, as well as leaving a trail of her presence behind.

She rose up and found the correct shelf. She rose up on her tip toes and grasped a tome. The moonlight illuminated the cover and she was sure she had found the treasure she was after, only a quick escape remained.

She stepped out into the hall and began to think about her reward for a good nights work.

"Cora! What are you doing up?"

Cora spun around, deftly hiding the book behind her back. "I woke up," a small hand wiped at a droopy eyelid.

"Sorry dear, the party is almost over. Want me to come tuck you in?"

Cora shook her head, “I’m okay Mommy.”
© Copyright 2010 bluehats#5 (bluehats5 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635227-The-Greatest-Treasure