*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636138-The-Sojourn
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1636138
Macy and Jake share a magical time after literally running into each other in the woods
The Sojourn
By
Amber Holt

July 12, 2007




The brush crunched underneath Jake’s feet as he trudged on. It seemed like he had been hiking for hours. None of the trails resembled anything like the ones on the hikers’ map he had, and it was beginning to become dark. He was starting to worry. Just a few more minutes, he thought, when it happened…he stepped in a great hole, twisting his ankle.

“Oh God!” he cried out as he hit the ground, gear and all. The fall knocked the wind right out of him.

Jake struggled greatly until he was able to stand again. He tried to walk, but his left foot nearly went out from under him.

It was then that he saw the light in the distance, and began hobbling towards it.

*****

Macy was stoking the fire inside of her mountain cabin. She had put her latest work to bed, and had a delicious dinner of stew planned. She had the beef cubed, and was slicing carrots and potatoes on the marble counter. She went to the sink to rinse her hands, and believed that she saw a figure in the distance, struggling along.

Macy was used to being alone in her mountain abode. She grasped the shotgun that she kept on the rack near the door and opened it, calling out, “Who’s there?”

She believed that she heard a man’s voice call out for help.

*****

Jake struggled along, dragging his left leg behind him. His vision cleared, and he could see that he had approached a cabin. He could make out the form of a woman silhouetted in the doorway, and could hear her calling out to him. It was then that he saw the shotgun.

“Please don’t shoot!” he cried out, “I’m hurt and lost.”

Jake saw the woman lower the shotgun, then she called out to him.

“Who are you and what are you doing on my land?”

“I was hiking and lost my way, and then I stepped in a hole. I promise, I didn’t mean to trespass.”

The woman began walking towards him.

“Well, you look harmless enough. I believe you. Here, I’ll help you inside.”

Macy indicated for Jake to wrap his arm around her shoulder. He was surprised by her strength as she bore his weight through the doorway.

“Here, sit on the couch by the fire” Macy said as she helped Jake down.

“Let me get the stew on, and we’ll see about that ankle.”

*****

Jake watched as Macy put the stew ingredients into the cauldron. She had several lanterns around the cabin, and combined with the glow from the fire, they lit the cabin up.

Macy carried the cauldron to the fireplace and looped the handle on the hook.

“Dinner will be ready soon” she said as she approached him. “Now, that ankle…”

Macy bent over and lifted Jake’s left leg up towards the coffee table.

“God!” he cried out.

“So sorry, I’ll be gentle.”

Macy nimbly worked Jake’s boot and sock off. It was swollen and red.

“Yep” Macy announced.

“What?” Jake questioned. “Is it bad?”

“It’s a sprain. But I’ve got just the thing for it” she said as she left the room.

She soon returned and wrapped a cloth around his ankle. It stung slightly and felt warm.

“What’s that?”

“It’s a poultice. It will take down the swelling and soreness.”

“What’s a poultice?”

Macy sighed.

“It’s a pack of herbs and roots. It goes way back in my family. My mama used to put it on me when I fell out of trees.”

Macy went to the fireplace and gave the stew a stir.

“Soon” she announced.

“How about a shot of something for the pain?”

“Sure” answered Jake.

*****

Jake watched as Macy went to a cabinet in the kitchen and took out a bottle. She poured two glasses of an amber fluid and carried them into the living room. She handed him a glass.

“Here, drink this.”

“What is it?”

Macy gave him a smile and took a sip from her glass.

“What’s your name, Lost One?” she questioned.

“Jake.”

“Well Jake, pleased to meet you. And by the way, this is some of my granddaddy’s reserve. I don’t just break this out anytime, so you should enjoy.”

“Thank you, ma’am.”

Macy sniggered.

“I a’int no ma’am. You can call me Macy.”

“Well, thank you Macy” Jake said as he raised his glass. He took a sip then let out a great cough. Macy howled.

“What is this stuff?”

“It’s Grandaddy’s reserve. Last batch he made before he passed. Hungry?”

Jake thought of the trail mix that he had earlier that day as his stomach growled.

“I’m starved.”

*****

Macy took the cauldron from the hook and carried it into the kitchen. She dipped two bowls of stew and carried them to the living room. She sat one on the coffee table.

“Let’s put this leg down for a bit so that you can eat up” she said as she helped him.

Jake could swear that his ankle was beginning to feel better.

He took a bite of his stew.

They ate in silence.

When they finished, Macy broke out a bit more of grandaddy’s reserve.

*****

“Every time I sip on this, I think of my dear granddaddy. He wasn’t like my parents. He was sweet on me. He would always try to spoil me rotten. Little Bit, that’s what he always called me. Ah well, that’s life…”

“Speaking of life, Jake, why don’t you tell me about yours” queried Macy, as she curiously eyed him.

*****

Jake couldn’t describe the feeling that was coming over him. He didn’t know if it was the homemade whisky or what, but he was beginning to feel such a draw to Macy. So, he found himself telling the story.

“Well, there’s not much to tell. Mom was a drunk, and she ruled the household with an iron fist. I had never heard of a woman overpowering a man, but my mom sure did with my dad. And fight, did they ever. I remember being a boy, lying in bed, pressing my pillow to my head, trying to drown out their fights. Sometimes, I would storm out of my room and demand that they stop. My dad would usually leave then. She would try to hold me and call me her little man, and I would try to wriggle away from her. I guess I blamed her for dad leaving. She would end up storming off and crying for the rest of the night. As I got older, I began to run away from home a lot.”

Jake couldn’t believe that he was telling Macy all of this, things he hadn’t thought of in years.

“I began to fall into the wrong crowd in high school. You know, drinking, drugging, fucking. It’s a wonder that I never knocked anyone up. The worse things got at home, the more I drank, until that day…”

“Tell me about it, Jake.”

“My buds and I, we always drank Jack on the rocks. I would reach that last sip, and jiggle the glass of ice against my lips, desperately seeking out that last drop.

Mom ran dad off one night, and I was sitting in the living room with her, hoping that he would come back soon. She was deep into it. And then, it happened…”

“Tell me, Jake.”

“She did the same ice jiggle.”

Macy sighed.

“Well, at that moment, I resolved that I wasn’t going to be like her, like them.”

“Good for you, Jake.”

“I did an about face, I guess you could say. I got a job and worked my way through college. Once I got my degree, I bulldogged every advertising company in town until I got my break. I drove myself into the ground and burned that midnight oil, trying to prove myself to be the best of the new crop. I’ve scratched and clawed my way to the top, and I intend on staying there.”

“I guess that pressure to rise above will always be in me.”

I hadn’t realized that before, Jake thought, most surprised.

Jake sat his glass down on the coffee table, and said, “Your turn, Macy.”

*****

“Jake, Jake, Jake, so much in common.”

“How’s that, Macy?”

Macy glanced away, and then spoke…

“I was the oldest in my family. My papa was the drunkard. Mama stayed away most of the time, “whoring around”, as papa would say. But I think that she just wanted to be away from him. But that left me with my two younger brothers and little sister to care for on my own. Oh Jake, how tired I stayed.”

“I would wake before dawn and do what house chores needed to be done before breakfast. Then I would cook for the family. Get the young ones ready. Get papa ready. Get myself ready. Busy day at school, then home for more chores and cook dinner. Bathe the young ones and try to settle them down before I could do homework. Most nights, I would fall asleep at my little desk. My only relief from all of this was writing.”

“I remember, on the nights that I had the bug, I could sit up writing my grand tales. Oh Jake, the places that you can go when you write! I guess that was my escape. Oh, how excited I would be to finish one. I was filled with joy and pride. I ran to my mama and papa with it.”

Macy sighed.

“They called it a big waste of time and energy. If I could do that, then I could do things around the house. But Jake, I was already doing it all! But dear granddaddy, he loved my tales.”

“We would sneak off and I would read them to him. He would hang on my every word. That was until he passed.”

Macy sighed.

“I tucked those stories away, in memory of my dear granddaddy. Then my aunt from the city visited.”

“Jake, I had a new audience! And guess what? She loved them, and asked to take them with her. I was tickled pink!”

“Little did I know, but she marketed them to publishers. So that’s what I do now. I still write with pen and paper, and she does the rest. Other than that, I’m the simple mountain woman that I am.”

*****

“So tell me Macy, what do you write about?”

“Little bit of everything, really.”

“What are you working on right now?”

“Actually, I’m on the story of my life.”

“That’s interesting. So, what phase of life are you on?”

Macy heaved a great sigh.

“I’m about to begin writing about Hal.”

“Who’s that, Macy?”

“He’s my husband.”

*****

“You’re married? Where is he?” Jake said, as he looked around.

Then he noticed the tear slip from the corner of Macy’s eye.

“Oh Macy, I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay. I’ve come to peace with it, and can remember the good times, most of the time.”

“Do you want to talk about it.”

“Actually, I think I do.”

*****

“We were barely eighteen. We had been courting for a while. Papa didn’t approve of him. I could never figure out why, because Hal was always so good to me. Most times when he came around, Papa would run him off.”

Macy paused.

“Go on.”

“Well, one night we snuck off together, and lost track of time. I got back home very late. Papa was furious. He ranted and raved that if he saw Hal around the property ever again, that he would blow him away with his shotgun, and I believed him.”

“We loved each other so much, Jake, that we just couldn’t imagine life without each other. So we came up with our plan.”

“Tell me, Macy.”

“On that night, I waited for the young ones to go to sleep, and then I waited for Papa to go to sleep. I managed to pack a small bag and quietly sneak out of the house. I met Hal at our special spot.”

“We made it all the way to the next county, and were able to find a Justice Of The Peace that had a kind, understanding, and romantic heart. He married us late that night.”

“Hal had saved up some money, and we planned on spending the night at the motor lodge right outside of town for our honeymoon. Boy, did we think that we had it made. We planned on going back to town the next day and facing the music, come what may. No matter what, we’d face it together. But it never happened.”

Another tear dropped from Macy’s eye.

“What happened, Macy?”

“Hal didn’t see that icy patch on the road in time, and he didn’t have time to react to that car that was speeding around the curve. We had a head-on crash. He didn’t make it in the time that it took the ambulance to get to us. His last words to me were, “I’ll always love you, Macy.” He died in my arms.”

“Oh God, Macy, I’m so sorry.”

Macy began to weep in earnest.

Jake patted the seat next to him on the couch.

He looked at Macy and said, “Come here.”

Macy made her way over to Jake, and sat down next to him.

“You know, I’ve never told that story to anyone before.”

“Oh Macy” Jake said, as he pressed her head upon his shoulder and began stroking her hair.

Macy looked up into Jake’s eyes, and for a moment, both of them were spellbound.

Macy broke the gaze.

“We’d better get some rest. You’re welcome to the couch. I’ll get you some help in the morning.”

“Goodnight, Macy” Jake said as she left for the bedroom.

*****

Macy lay awake for quite some time. She just couldn’t rest. She kept thinking about Jake.

He seemed like a good man. He had been kind, caring, and friendly to her. He was also quite handsome, with his dark hair and bright blue eyes.

She wanted to talk to him more, know more about him.

Best to let him rest, she thought, as she turned over.

*****

Jake sat up on the couch, unable to sleep as well. He couldn’t keep his mind off Macy.

What a strong-willed yet sensitive woman she was. Jake couldn’t help but notice her feminine curves, and her glistening blonde hair felt so soft and smooth to his touch. When she looked up at him with her big brown doe eyes, he almost melted.

Jake let out a sigh and shifted around on the couch, trying to get comfortable.

*****

Macy finally sat up in bed, frustrated.

Maybe I’ll slip into the kitchen for a sip of granddaddy’s reserve. That should help me rest.

As she left the bedroom and rounded the corner, she noticed Jake sitting up on the couch.

“Can’t sleep either, huh”, he said.

“I often have fitful nights.”

She went to the kitchen, poured two glasses of the reserve, and brought one to Jake.

“Thanks much” he said, as he took the glass.

“Maybe it will help us unwind” she said, as she comfortably sat next to him.

They both sipped their drinks and stared at the fire.

“Tell me Jake. Is there someone special in your life?”

*****

Jake heaved a great sigh.

“Oh no, Jake, not you too” exclaimed Macy.

“Ellen was the picture of health. The doctors never understood how it happened.”

“Oh Jake, I’m so sorry.”

Jake continued.

“She was the health nut. Always conscious of what she ate, jogged everyday, never drank or smoked. And boy, would she put up a fight if she ever had to take any medicine. She was always afraid of the drugs harming her in some way.”

“She was out for her routine run one morning. Too much time had passed without her returning home. I went out looking for her, and found her crouched down on the ground, hardly able to move. I carried her home and took her to the hospital right away.”

“The doctors finally came out and told me that she had died of a heart attack. When I told them about her lifestyle, they said that maybe she had pushed herself too hard. That’s the best that they could come up with.”

“Oh Jake” Macy sighed, as she put her arm around him and laid her head upon his shoulder.

Jake could feel her hot breath upon his neck, and couldn’t resist any longer.

“Macy.”

“Yes, Jake.”

Jake placed the tip of his finger under her chin, lifting her face to his. He moved in slowly, brushing his lips against hers.

“Jake” Macy murmured, as she returned the timid kiss.

*****

Jake grasped Macy in his arms and drew her into his lap. She lay in his lap and gazed up into his brilliant blue eyes. He embraced her closely and kissed her passionately. Macy returned his kisses with just as great of a passion. It seemed like an eternity had passed before they broke their embrace, and Macy melted into Jake’s lap.

Jake gently traced the tip of his finger along Macy’s lips, over her cheek, down her neck, and towards the slope of her breast. As he toyed with the top button of her shirt, she whispered, “Oh yes.”

He slipped the first button through the buttonhole, and traced lazy circles along the top slopes of her breasts.

Jake continued to slowly unbutton Macy’s shirt, exposing her firm, bare breasts. He playfully tweaked one of her hardening nipples.

“Jake” she whimpered, as he caressed her, leaving no spot unexplored.

Macy leaned forward and began unbuttoning Jake’s shirt. She began massaging his bare chest and planting light kisses all over him.

“Oh Macy” he sighed.

Jake slid his hand slowly down over Macy’s stomach, and began toying with the button of her jeans.

She placed her hand over his, and stood up.

“Where are you going?” he questioned.

*****

Macy leaned over Jake, and whispered, “Right here”, as she began to unbuckle his pants.

He gave her a bit of a stunned look, but lifted his hips up as she began tugging at his pants.

She playfully kissed the tip of his nose. He began to lean towards her, but she put her hand on his chest and pushed him back.

“Stay”, she said, as she walked over towards the fireplace.

Jake watched, mesmerized, as Macy began unzipping her jeans. She slipped them slowly down over her hips, swaying back and forth as she did so. They fell to the floor, and she stepped out of them.

“Oh God” Jake exclaimed as he took in the full sight of her.

She began walking towards him.

“God, Jake, it’s been so long” she sighed.

“Yes, I know.”

She went to him, and placing each of her knees along his legs, straddled herself over him. She took his head and pressed it against her breast.

“I want you, Jake”, she whispered into his ear. “Do you want me?”

“More than anything” Jake sighed, as he placed his hands upon her hips.

*****

Macy placed her hands upon Jake’s shoulders, and began lowering herself down upon his lap. She drew in her breath as she felt his hardness slip deep within her wet gate.

“Oh Macy” Jake exclaimed, as he squeezed her hips.

Macy arched her back, tossed her head back, and began rocking herself upon Jake. He leaned forward and kissed and nibbled on her breasts, keeping perfect rhythm with her.

They held each other closely and rocked their hips towards each other, with the fire roaring and crackling.

Macy drew her breath in sharply, arched her back, tossed back her head, and dug her nails into Jake’s shoulders as she shook slightly.

Jake was overwhelmed by his passion for Macy. He grasped her hips, pulled her towards him, and thrust himself deep within her, letting out a groan.

They collapsed into each other’s arms, hearts pounding and breathing coming quick.

Macy looked up at Jake and said, “Do you think that you can make it to the bedroom for the rest of the night?”

She helped him hobble into the bedroom, and refreshed the poultice on his ankle.

They ended up drifting off to sleep in each other’s arms.

*****

Jake woke the next morning, and rolled over in bed, searching for Macy. He found that he was alone.

As he began to fully rouse, he could smell delicious scents coming from the kitchen. He tentatively got out of bed, and found that his ankle was quite better. He could actually walk into the kitchen.

“Morning, Sleepyhead. I’ve got fresh coffee brewed, and bacon, eggs, and biscuits are on the way. Here, have a seat.” She motioned for him to sit at the table, and got him a cup of coffee.

Macy shortly sat a plateful of food in front of Jake.

“Wow! This all looks so good.”

“Well then, eat up.”

They each ate their breakfasts in silence.

Macy dreaded taking Jake into town. True, she had grown accustomed to her lone life in the mountains. But she didn’t realize how much she had missed the touch of a man. No one had made her feel like such a woman since Hal.

Jake hated the idea of parting from Macy. He had filled his life with his career and success so much that he hadn’t left any room for anyone to share it with. He hadn’t felt so connected to a woman since Ellen.

They looked at each other, as if they were reading each other’s minds.

“Well, let’s get you into town.”

*****

Macy led Jake to the barn next to her cabin. She opened the doors, and there sat a four wheel drive jeep.

“I didn’t know you had a vehicle” said Jake surprised.

“Well, what do you think I am, a heathen?” answered Macy.

She drove him into town, to the hospital.

“That poultice should have taken down some of the soreness and swelling, but you should have your ankle checked out anyway.”

“Thanks for the ride.”

“It was nothing.”

*****

Jake reached up and rubbed Macy’s chin affectionately. She wrapped her hand around his forearm.

Jake sighed.

“Well, let’s go get poked and prodded” he joked, as he got out of the jeep.

“Thanks for everything, Macy.”

“Thank you, Jake.”

Jake looked at her curiously.

“For what?”

“Everything.”

Jake began the slow walk towards the ER doors. As he nearly passed through them, he felt a longing in his heart. As he spun around and called out for Macy, an ambulance pulled up between them.

EMTs raced out of the ambulance doors.

“Excuse us, Sir”, they said, and pushed him out of the way.

Jake continued to call out to Macy, when he saw her drive away.

*****

Macy drove away with tears welling up in her eyes. She finally allowed herself to cry as she neared home.

She parked the jeep and went into the cabin. She decided on a cup of tea, and put on the kettle.

She sat down with her pen and paper, as she smiled fondly.

© Copyright 2010 Amber Holt (angela_dawn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636138-The-Sojourn