*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636178-The-Simple-Things-Are-The-Sweetest
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Renea
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1636178
My struggles and victories from becoming pregnant in high school.
I was a sophomore in high school when I found out I was pregnant. I was invisible before that. Just another fish in the sea of public education. Suddenly everyone knew who I was. Everyone wanted to know my story.
"How'd it happen?"
"Are you going to give it up for adoption?"
"Are you going to drop out of high school?"
"Where's the dad?"
"Do you even know who the dad is?"

I didn't know how to answer those questions. I had made the decision early on to keep the baby. I wanted to accept the consequences of my actions and take responsibility for what I had done. It was still a confusing time for me. Although I'd decided to embrace my mistakes, I still felt like I had a disease.

The months went by slowly at first. I decided that I wanted to live my life before I didn't have the opportunity to be a kid anymore. I took harder classes. I joined the chorus. I joined clubs. I made friends. Before I knew it I was eight months pregnant and at a concert with my first solo. I had completely changed from the person I was before.

I had made something of myself. I tried harder in school. I volunteered at a local daycare. And nobody looked at me like an outcast. I inspired people to live life fearlessly. I didn't know I was capable of affecting people's lives like that.

Then that fateful day came. I had left school for maternity leave like a week earlier. I was ready. After 36 hours, my little angel entered my life. He had completely changed the person I was and the life I lived before he was even born. This little alien-looking thing had completely altered my life, and he had no idea. The best gifts really do come in the smallest packages.
© Copyright 2010 Renea (reneamarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636178-The-Simple-Things-Are-The-Sweetest