*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636469-PARADOX---Chapter-15
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1636469
Action/Adventure - A genre mix like National Treasure and Indiana Jones
April 25, 2012 – Berchtesgaden - Treff Alpenhotel Kronprinz



Dominic sat at a corner in the dining room near a large window with a beautiful panoramic view of the mountains surrounding the hotel. He was not interested in the mountains or scenery though, his eyes kept flicking to the parking area hoping to get a glimpse of the rental car that Monday Stiehl was driving.

He was just finishing a delicious meal of bouillabaisse made the Bordeaux way and an excellent glass of Pouilly-Fumé. The white wine had a taste of gooseberries, gunflint, and smoke and was made in the Loire Valley of central France. It was an excellent wine to enhance his bouillabaisse. He was a connoisseur of wine as well as food and he didn’t particularly care which country he was in to enjoy either. He had dined on wonderful German food in Italy and excellent Italian food in Denmark. Although, he would have to admit that England was a bit of a challenge when it came to finding the Epicurean style of food he preferred. His eating habits were governed by desire and not by geographical boundaries.

Dominic enjoyed a hearty meal and did not deny his aggressive appetite, so he remained in excellent physical condition. At his villa in Italy he had an Olympic size swimming pool, which he put to good use and he also ran five kilometers every other day. His worse habit was an occasional Cuban cigar, which he had repeatedly tried to give up, without success.

He was of average height but built like a wrestler with massive shoulders and a bull neck. His students had often called him [i}The Gladiator{/i} in view of his powerful build and he had become very fond and comfortable with the image the title portrayed. He was, after all, of Italian ancestry…Roman ancestry.

In addition to being a world renowned Doctor of Paleontology and highly respected in academic circles, Dominic was by nature a careful and suspicious man who had intentionally cultivated a strong habit of watching people and events around him. That’s why he kept glancing at a table in the corner of the restaurant near the bar. A young man sat at the table and was struggling to remain inconspicuous, but Dominic caught him looking in his direction more than once. The man was not just looking but appraising. The man was clean cut, in his mid twenties and if Dominic had to put a label on him it would be academic. He wasn’t much older than the graduate students that Dominic used to teach, and he had a strong aura of piety about him.

“Seminarian,” Dominic mused, taking another sip of the excellent Pouilly-Fumé. He automatically classed the young man as a budding cleric. Catching Dominic’s eye, the man got up from his table and walked over to where Dominic was dining.

“My name is Cencio Contadino,” the man said, speaking in Italian. “May I join you Doctor Prestano?” Domninic pointed to a seat by the window so that he could watch the man and the parking area at the same time. “Should I call you Father Contadino?” Dominic was speaking in English.

“Your reputation precedes you.” The man smiled. “I am of the order of the Teutonic Knights, a small order devoted primarily to charity work. Please address me simply as Cencio.”

“Helfen, Wehren, Heilen,” Dominic muttered. “Your order’s motto; Help, Defend, Heal. I have read much about the history of your order young man. What brings you to my table?”

Cencio glanced around the almost empty restaurant then back to Dominic. “We have a friend in common,” he whispered. “A man from whom even the Pontiff seeks advice. The Fleur-de-lis is his sign.”

Dominic’s eyes opened wider at this bit of unexpected news. Had his benefactor sent someone to spy on him? Was he loosing trust in some unforeseen way?

“I was sent to assist you with your mission.” Cencio saw the sudden shadow of concern on Dominic’s face. “I am to put myself at your complete disposal.”

“I have always worked alone.” Dominic was rigid. “But, if it has been decided that I need special assistance in this particular endeavor, so be it. Have you a message or new information?”

“Just that I am to obey your every word and remain with you until such time as my services are needed elsewhere. I assure you that I will remain as inconspicuous as possible.”

The meal suddenly felt heavy on his stomach. It was unlike the benefactor to interfere in his professional appraisal of what needed to be done and how it was to be done. Now he was saddled with an unknown and unwanted sidekick. “You are under my tutelage as a graduate student in Roman pre empire history,” He stated. “I assume you do know enough about Roman history to make it sound plausible?”

“My academic background is extensive,” Cencio responded. “The Roman Republic has always been of special interest to me. I have also studied both classical and ecclesiastical Latin.”

Over the young man’s shoulder, Dominic spotted Stiehl’s rental car pull into the parking area. Following close behind it was an older model Mercedes and a dark SUV. Stiel got out of the rental and opened the door for an attractive young lady who appeared to be in a semi state of distress. Half a dozen rough looking men exited the SUV, none of which Dominic recognized, but he did recognize the occupant of the old Mercedes as he slowly pulled his lanky frame from the vehicle.

“Heinreich von Schwerin,” Dominic muttered to himself. He knew the man from several past dealings and knew him to be an ultra professional. He was not aware that Stiehl and Schwerin were acquainted. “I need to reacquaint myself with Stiehl,” Dominic stated, for the benefit of Cencio. “It is important that I join forces with him on this mission.” Cencio simply nodded his head in a sign of submissive agreement.

Dominic stood up and quickly left the dining room. As he saw Stiehl enter the foyer, he signaled for Cencio to walk with him and started discussing a topic in classical Latin. As soon as he was within a few feet of Monday, he sprung his ambush.

“Monday!” he yelled in a surprised tone. “What brings you to the Bavarian hinterlands?” He opened his arms wide in a sign of welcomed embrace.

After the past half-hour of heightened danger and adrenaline rush, Monday was, at first, caught off guard by the sudden braying of his name and was instinctively ready to go into action. But, as soon as he caught sight of one of his best friends with his arms out stretched, his nerves slowly relaxed.

“Dom!” Monday grasped the stout man in a tight bear hug. “And what brings his eminence to this neck of the woods?” They had known each other in academic circles for years and had worked on several important archeological digs together. Over the years they had become very close friends.

“His eminence is on holiday,” Dominic replied, still grasping Monday’s dusty hands. He hoped this reply would let his friend know that he had nothing important pending and when the time became right he could slide into Monday’s confidence and onto his team. He turned and waved his palm at his companion. “May I introduce Brother Cencio Contadino. Cencio is with me on holiday to brush up on his Roman studies.”

“Buon pomeriggio.” Monday replied in Italian. “May I introduce my friend Miss Daria Wolff.” He signaled for Daria to join him.

After full introductions, Monday noticed that his team had continued on to their rooms but Henri remained, quietly standing near the door.

No need to introduce us.” Henri walked over and shook Dominic’s hand. “Doctor Prestano and I have met on several occasions and I must admit I am an admirer of his. The good Doctor has helped the Bundeswehr in many ways, officially and unofficially.”

“From your looks, one would assume you’ve been out mountain climbing or playing rugby.” Dominic pointed at their disheveled and dirty clothing.”

“We’ve been engaged,” Monday casually replied. “If you don’t mind Dom, I’d like to get upstairs and clean up. I’m sure that Daria could use a change of clothing and hot shower also. How about joining us for a drink in about half an hour?”

“No problem. I was just heading to my room.”

“Last room at the end of the hall.” Monday took Daria’s arm and headed towards the stairs. “I’ll have the concierge send up a bottle of brandy.” Monday knew that his friend had an affinity for Napoleon Cognac, the older the better.

© Copyright 2010 Oldwarrior (oldwarrior at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1636469-PARADOX---Chapter-15