*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637727-Gold
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1637727
chapter from 1 of the story I am writing. It isnt exciting as of yet as it has just begun
Chapter 1



Oscar Daniel Torman was sat in his office at a London office block. His head was cradled in the palm of his left hand. He was chewing lazily on the end of his pen as he stared blankly at the paper in front of him. It was late at night and still the city of London  seemed alive. If it was possible, even more alive than in the day due to the twinkling of the electrical lights that glared out of the darkness un-gracefully. Oscar Torman’s office was stationed by the window of this particular block, giving him a wide view of the west side of London. Tonight, like most nights, he wasn’t interested at all by the view of 21st Century life. His life was boring. He wasn’t afraid to admit it. He was in a dead end job. A secretary for a lawyer. If you thought that would be interesting, it wasn’t. Oscar had always dreamed of being a fantastic and well- known author of fantastic adventure and thriller novels.

        A knock at the door suddenly interrupted Oscar’s tedious day dream. Oscar stretched out his arms lazily with a yawn.

“Yes?” He called out. The door opened and an old man hobbled into the room bringing with him that smell Oscar always associated with old people.

“Mr Torman, I’m afraid I’ve got to lock up this office now” He smiled toothily. This was the cleaner Bernard Richards. He was 72 years old but still worked. He’d gotten the job when his wife fell quite ill. Although they received benefits and pensions, it still wasn’t enough to give his wife the comfort she needed. Bloody government, Oscar had thought to himself when he’d first learned all this. Although there was a sizeable age gap between himself and Bernard, they had become good friends due to the late hours Oscar stayed behind at night.

“Alright, Bernard, I’m off” Oscar smiled as he stood up and stretched out again. Bernard smiled at Oscar.

“Why do you spend so much time here, after hours? You’re young you should be out enjoying your life while you can!” Bernard told Oscar with a wise old smile scrawled across his broad face.

“Ah you know me, Bernard. I’m focusing on career now. Shouldn’t I have an idea of what career path I want to be on by now? I mean I am 25. My sisters where she wants to be and she’s 23!” Oscar moaned.

“Well, Mr Torman, what did you want to do when you were younger?” Bernard asked

“Honestly… I wanted to be James Bond or Indiana Jones. Not the best career prospects” Oscar confessed to him. Bernard chuckled. Oscar smiled and began to pack up his paper work into his bag.

“Also Bernard, how many times do I have to tell you, It’s Oscar not Mr Torman” Oscar stood up and faced Bernard.

“How’s your wife doing, she any better” Oscar asked. Bernard nodded.

“She’s doing well, thank you sir”

“Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow, Bernard. Give your wife my best” Oscar said picking up his bag.

“Will do, sir. thank you sir” Bernard said humbly “Goodnight sir”

Oscar shook Bernard’s hand and walked out of the door up to the lifts.

        Oscar was walking along the pavement besides a traffic covered road when his phone began to vibrate in his pocket. He looked at the screen and saw it was his father. He flipped it open and pressed to accept the call.

“Hi, dad. What’s up!” He sighed

“Son, I’ve traced it back. We are possibly related to one of the greatest men in history!” he cried excitedly down the phone.

“Dad, don’t give me the whole Arthur theory again please” Oscar sighed exasperatedly.

“Son, I have evidence this time!” He exclaimed.

“Look, dad, I’m sorry there is no such evidence to support your theory. It’s mainly guess work with urban legends and myths”

“no son, there is belief of old Grace who supposedly had relations with him behind her husbands back. When she fell pregnant only she knew who the father was and she never told anyone and it is said she is our great great great great great great great great…. Well she’s related to us!”

“Dad, there is no evidence, NONE AT ALL to suggest that affair ever happened or that she had any connections to Arthur. Goodbye dad!” Oscar cut the call off and sighed he slipped the phone in his pocket and carried on walking. His father was a day dreamer, much like his sister. He was convinced by old stories and folk law etc. Oscar was more down to earth. Much more like his mother.

          Oscar slipped his key into the lock of his door to his one bed roomed apartment. The lights were off inside and the place was smothered in darkness. Oscar switched the lights on and cried out. A man was laying on his sofa. He was wearing baggy jeans, a grubby t-shirt and trainers that were in dire need of repairing.

“Alex!” Oscar cried out at the man. The man grunted in his sleep and did nothing else.

“ALEX!!!” Oscar repeated in a shout. The man sat up instantly and yelled out.

“Alex! It’s me!” Oscar sighed. The man named Alex looked at him and grinned.

“Got ya!” He chuckled. Oscar ignored him.

“What are you doing here? How’d you even get in?” Oscar asked.

“I’ve got a real case!” Alex said proudly. Oscar rolled his eyes.

“You always have a ‘real case’ and it usually turns out to be nothing. What is it your looking for this time?” He sighed.

“I’ve got…. No idea. But I got a clue.” Alex smiled handing across a piece of laminated paper. The paper looked very old and it looked like it had being wrote on with a quill. Oscar read the page through three times before looking up.

“Alex, this makes no sense at all. Where did you get it?”



Stand tall and all alone

I shall show you where to go

If you read upon my stone.

A million hours I took to make

I still shall not break.

We stand together

Strong and proud.



“Oscar it’s a puzzle!” Alex cried excitedly.

“Where did you find it?” Oscar asked again. Alex avoided his gaze.

“Well, I got it from work” He muttered. Oscar sighed, he knew Alex wasn’t telling the truth about the paper.

“Alex?” Oscar asked warningly.

“ok, ok! I got it from an antique market that was on just outside of south Yorkshire” Alex admitted “but look at the writing, it’s style is old and the paper looks so genuine”. Oscar shook his head and tried to make sense of all this. He had no belief in the whole searching for clues and stuff. To him it was all so cliché and was completely expected of a film. Not real life. Not his life. Why was there so many guileless, miss-lead  people in his life. It was tiring to just know them.

“Look, Alex, I’m a little tired. I need to go to bed. You staying over tonight?” Oscar asked. Alex shook his head disappointedly.

“No, I’m going home. Can you just… give this to your sister. She’s good at puzzles and interested by this stuff” Alex said a little moodily handing the laminated paper across to Oscar. Oscar nodded and Alex left.

          Oscar lay down in his bed and read through the ‘puzzle’ again. He shook his head and put it on his bed side table. This was so absurd. His sister was, admittedly, more interested in this stuff than him, but she couldn’t possible believe Alex’s crazy theory. It was mad. Not even his sister would believe this story. Oscar rolled onto his side and switched of the lamp. He began to doze off into a dreamless sleep.

            Oscar was woken by a bang. He sat up in his bed and rubbed his eyes. That’s when he heard noises coming from the kitchen and living room. Oscar picked up his phone and began to dial 999. It could be burglar’s. Just as he was about to press dial, he cancelled the number. It could just be Alex. He could be drunk and had decided to come here. Oscar crept up to the door and opened it so he could just see into the kitchen. It was a mess. All the contents of the drawers had being tipped out. A man walked into the kitchen. He was dressed in jeans a loose t-shirt and - unrealistically- a balaclava. In his jeans waistband was tucked a gun. Oscar stifled a gasp. He knew that gun crime was going up in London, in fact, in most places but this was completely bizarre. What could they possibly want? Could he hide? They were bound to look in the bedroom for whatever it was they were looking for and he would just be found there like this with no way of defence. He had to hide. In the closet? No way, way to obvious. Under the bed? Equally obvious. All the same, Oscar bent down to look under the bed. It was cramped with bags, boxes and suitcases. The height of the gap was barely big enough any way. Oscar grabbed the ‘clue’ of his bed side table and decided he had no choice but to hide. He pulled out his ancient suitcase and fitted himself in as quietly as he could. He then reached out for the suitcase and pulled it back under. Oscar was now barricaded in from years of junk. He looked at the clue and began to wonder. Why had he even grabbed it? Could those men be here because of this scrap of paper? Would they look under the bed? It occurred to Oscar that if they did look under the bed, they’d probably laugh themselves out of the flat. A grown man (him) was hiding under a bed behind lots of old junk, gripping onto a piece of useless paper, like a small child who was either scarred at night or otherwise playing hide and seek. Oscar felt his subconscious had fooled him on purpose. Of course those men would look under the bed, where else would he be. Oscar held his breath as he heard the men enter the room. Oscar saw through the jumble of stuff a pair of ragged shoes. He steadily and slowly began to breath as shallowly as he possibly could manage. This whole thing was so weird and un real and - to be honest- bizarre. One of the men began to talk “Where is he?” He hissed. His voice was followed by a deeper and more patient one. “Must be out”

“He cant be out!!!” The first man moaned. “Where could he be at 4 in the morning?!”

“Stop complaining!” the second guy ordered. “Think”

“Under the bed?” He hissed. Oscar pressed his face down into the carpet. He tried to press his whole body into the floor.

“No, it’s all old, dusty junk. Did we get the right apartment?”

“Yes!” The second man said roughly. “come on! Were leaving!”. There was a shuffling of feet then a slam of a door, then silence. Oscar lay there, afraid the men would return, but after half an hour or so he figured they wouldn’t. He kicked (nudged the bag with his foot) out of his way and slid his body out into free air. He breathed in deeply, glad he was ok. Oscar stood up. He looked around his room and saw, to his satisfaction, they’d left his room as tidy as it was. Tentatively however, he proceeded towards the rest of his flat. He opened his bedroom door and let out a moan of sheer annoyance. Those men had trashed the place. Over his small, cheap, wooden dinning table was scattered all his attempts at story’s. All his kitchen doors had being emptied onto the cooker and his arm chair plus sofa had being upturned. Again, Oscar looked at the laminated paper. He loosened his grip on it and it fell to the floor.



“Look, Mr Torman, did you see one of them?”. Oscar was sat in front of a policeman. The man looked extremely bored. In Oscars opinion, he should at least look more alert. After all he was on duty, interviewing someone who saw a man with a gun. As Oscar thought the last bit, he cringed. How odd and outrageously out of place did that sound. ‘he saw a man with a gun’. Oscar pushed the thought to the back of his mind as he spoke.

“No, as I told you, I hid as soon as I saw the gun. I was afraid of getting shot.” Oscar explained for what felt like the millionth time. He had called the police soon after discovering his flat in a wreck. Throughout the night he had explained his story over and over again. Now it was 10.00oclock, he was hungry and he was tired. Oscar was late for work and was incredibly bored.

“Look, I’m sorry officer, but I’ve being awake most of the night and I’m hungry and tired. Can I please go home?” Oscar sighed. The police officer looked at him with dull eyes. He nodded slowly and lazily. Oscar stood up and left the room. There was a waiting room in this particular police station and Oscars sister was waiting for him.

        Gracie Rose Torman waited patiently in the waiting room. She was sat in a plastic chair. Although she looked perfectly relaxed, her hands twisted nervously in her lap. She was wearing a baby blue dress with sequins decorating it. She was wearing dark denim gap jeans underneath and a cute, white, knitted cardigan. Her deep red hair tumbled down past her shoulders. A man appeared in a doorway across the room from her. He looked exhausted. He was light skinned with handsome lock’s of silky black hair. He wore a button up shirt which hung loosely over his jeans. The arms were rolled up scruffily and he wore tattered trainers. Slung over his back was a rucksack. Gracie stood up and waved at him. He spotted her and made a V line for her.

“Oscar!” She smiled hugging him.

“Hey, sis” he said stifling a yawn.

“My god, mom called and said you’d being attacked by a dude with a gun! I was in the city so I thought I’d come and see you”  Gracie explained.

“Well… I didn’t get attacked. They just bust in to my house and I hid. They didn’t find me” Oscar explained

“Oh” Gracie said looking and sounding quite disappointed. Oscar smiled.

“Grace, I got something for you” He whispered. Gracie looked at him curiously.

“I’ll give it you later!” he hissed. Gracie looked taken a back. It was quite bizarre for her brother- Oscar- to act all secretive like this. She looked at him curiously but he just smiled.

“Oscar… what’s going o…” she began to say but he loudly interrupted her

“Let’s go and get food? What a brilliant idea!” He said as he began to steer her out of the station.

          One hour later, Oscar was sat in a small coffee shop in on one of London’s small back streets. Gracie was sat with him and so was Alex. Oscar had phoned Alex as soon as he’d left the station. He had met Alex at the café and had bought them all a meal. They’d sat in silence as they’d eaten away at their sandwiches and even now after they’d finished they remained silent waiting for Oscar to explain. Gracie lifted her mug of coffee to her lips and took a sip. Alex glanced at her and looked confused. Oscar was starring out of the window in a troubled manor.

“Mate, what’s going on?” Alex asked finally breaking the silence. Oscar looked around at them. He bent down to the floor and reached for his bag. Oscar unzipped it and pulled out the laminated piece of paper. He passed it across to Gracie. Gracie took it and read through it. She looked up at Oscar and smiled.

“This is amazing. It looks about… well… 16th century. I mean look at the writing. It’s obviously being made with an old quill and ink!” She gasped excitedly. Oscar smiled slightly. It was typical of her to know all about it. She’d studied artefacts from different centuries and how to recognise them in an archaeology class.

“I think that’s why those men broke into my flat.” Oscar muttered. Alex gapped at him.

“What does it mean Grace?” Alex asked equally excited. Gracie studied the paper for a second.

“It sound’s like it means……… Stonehenge. The next clue is written upon it’s stone.”

“You mean, I’ve actually found something!?” Alex exclaimed looking shocked. Gracie nodded. Alex grinned proudly at Oscar. Oscar nodded at him. They all stayed silent for a minute before Gracie broke the silence.

“We got to go to Stonehenge!” she exclaimed excitedly. Oscar started and looked at her.

“What?” he asked bewildered.

“Stonehenge! We got to go there and get the next clue!”

“Ha-ha, no we don’t” Oscar laughed.

“Oh c’mon, Oscar! This could lead to an amazing discovery of some ancient artefact!” Gracie pleaded with him. Oscar glanced at Alex he was just as egger. He didn’t want to go. It was a lot of extra hassle that he really didn’t need. It would probably lead to nothing. When Oscar didn’t reply Alex spoke.

“well, Gracie, it’ll just have to be us two. Only us two. We’ll search for whatever it is together” Alex said studying Oscar’s face carefully. Oscar now got a little paranoid. He didn’t want to go, but if he didn’t, would Alex make a move on his sister? Alex could almost see the cogs working in Oscars brain.

“Fine, I’ll go!” Oscar said disgruntled. Alex and Gracie grinned at each other. Oscar was always so paranoid that something was going on between them!

“But, like if, you know, if there’s nothing, I’m like, going so home!” Oscar added.

“Great! That’s awesome bro!” Gracie grinned “When should we go? Today?”

“Yeah totally!!!” Alex grinned with excitement! Oscar shook his head.

“No! not today! Not so soon!” Oscar sighed.

“Yeah, we should totally go! I’ll call a hotel and book it for tonight!” Gracie said clapping her hands together delightedly.

“Gracie, What about my work?” Oscar asked. They were so…eager. Like two psyched up kids.

“well, you’re not there now. Tell them you’re shook up by the break in, so you’re taking a break” Gracie smiled.

“Look, we can’t just set off with the intension to find some mystical, forgotten artefact. It’s just not right.” Oscar argued.

“well, like Alex said. We’ll go and you stay. I don’t mind” Gracie said off handedly.

“Yeah, man. I don’t mind neither.” Alex smiled.

“No, no. I’ll go. Just don’t expect me to be enthusiastic about it.” Oscar said in a knowing voice.

“ I’ll get going then, book a hotel for tomorrow” Gracie grinned. She stood up and left the café. Alex grinned at Oscar.

“Alex, you better not do anything stupid. You’re my mate but I will kick your ass”

“Ha, don’t worry, mate. She your sis and just a friend to me.” Alex laughed.

“See you later, Oscar. I’m gonna pack.” Alex said getting up. He left the café. Oscar was on his own, sat still in the small room. He thought about everything. A small slip of paper with a few lines of words. Could it really lead to something worth finding. Oscar shook his head slightly. He took a final drink of his tea before standing up and leaving.



    The man on the table just behind Oscars looked up. His hair hung limply by his face. He looked old and weather beaten. His hands shook as he lifted his cup to his lips. He looked like a fragile old man but behind the disguise was a young man who had listened in on every detail of their conversation. He smiled now. He stood up and also left the warmth of the café.

          Oscar was back at his flat. He’d phoned work and told them that he was going on a break due to stress. Oscar had explained about the break in and how it had un nerved him. He had then set off in tidying his flat up while listening to some music. He some how managed to tidy his flat up before beginning to pack. He had decided to pack a weeks worth of clothing and supplies. After several hours, there was a knock at his door. Oscar opened the door to find his sister stood there smiling. She was slightly pink in the face, wearing thick gloves, a woolly scarf and a knitted hat.

“Hi! You ready?” She beamed.

“Not really” Oscar scowled.

“Well, I’ve booked us into The Holiday Inn Salisbury - Stonehenge. It has a three star rating and seems nice enough. You’re in one of the double bed guest room as am I and Alex. Were travelling down tonight, right?” Gracie asked.

“I dunno, what time can we check in from?” Oscar asked.

“Look I’ve booked us in for tonight so we can see Stonehenge tomorrow. I hope you’ve packed your laptop as well. The check-in is 3pm” Gracie explained. Oscar nodded.

“Look, I know you are not particularly fussed about this whole thing. You don’t want to go because you’d rather stay here. Just try seeing it as a holiday.” Gracie pleaded with him. He looked at her.

“Well, we best get going then” He said letting a grin play across his lips. Gracie smiled at him.

“that’s the attitude we want to see” she beamed. He nodded at her and grinned.

“Better go and get Alex then… and begin our mini adventure”

          Oscar was sat in the driver’s seat of his mini cooper. Gracie was sat beside him, her head resting on a pillow, which was against the window. Alex was slumped in the back snoring harshly.  Oscar had his window slightly open and music blurting out of the CD player. A little bit of ‘gun’s n rose’s’, ACDC and seventies rock. It was a mixed CD he had made himself. The road seemed so endless. It was winter and the road was shrouded in blackness. It was only 8oclock.

“Gracie, how expensive is this hotel?” Oscar asked.

“don’t worry bro, it’s on me” she said stifling a yawn.

“You sure?” He asked uncertainly.

“Yeah Oscar. It’s fine.” she said rubbing her eye’s.

“when can we check in from?” Oscar asked.

“From three” Gracie said stifling a yawn “Were very lucky actually, there was a last minute cancellation for an executive meeting so most of the guest rooms came free. We’d of being in a really expensive suit otherwise.” She told him.

“Why didn’t we just go to a B & B?” Oscar asked curiously.

“Because, my dearest brother, I’m a girl and I have style” She said, as though that answered it. He rolled his eyes, but otherwise let it drop.

“How are we going to get to the stones? I thought they were blocked off from the public now?” Oscar asked curiously.

“hmm, yeah. I’ve being thinking about that. You and Alex will make a distraction on the tour and I’ll sneak up to it and check it out.” She answered off handedly.

“What!!! I will not be a part of that!” He cried out shocked.

“Why not?” She demanded.

“Because, Gracie, my dear sis. We could get arrested!”

“Fine then. You stay at the hotel all alone. Me and Alex will couple up” She put emphasis on the word couple, “ And do it together” She chose her words very well to help her with paranoing her brother. It worked perfectly. He thought for a second before answering.

“Fine,” He scowled.

“Don’t frown brother, you have a better smile” She said teasingly. He smiled. He loved his sister.

            It took another two hours before they pulled up, in the dark, outside the hotel. From what Oscar could make out, the hotel looked very posh. Alex’s trainers shouldn’t be allowed any where near the polished floors. It was a large building. Oscar couldn’t make out much in this light, plus he was too tired for his powers of observation to work. He parked the car up and climbed out of the car. Gracie walked into the foyer ahead of Oscar who was followed by a sleepy Alex. There were all carrying their luggage. Gracie walked up to the check in desk.

        A woman was sat behind the desk. She was a slim blonde woman. Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun. Her eyes were a light blue. She wore slim, stylish glasses and a linen suit. She looked friendly enough, although maybe slightly tired. There was a bustle of people towards a closed door of the room. That must be the door leading to the bar, Oscar thought, as the people seemed to be slightly rowdy. The foyer was a stylish modern open room. The floors were a simple patterned, polished marble. There were leather sofa’s arranged in small groups around the room. Small tables were placed along the walls and up to the check in desk. On these tables were vases full of glorious, bright flowers. Delicate paintings were hung upon the simply decorated walls. The lighting was modern and sophisticated. A wide screen plasma screen television was hung in one of the corners of the room, in front of several arm chairs and sofa’s. It was a simple and sophisticated foyer. Oscar could only look at it in wonder. He could even appreciate its wealth.

          The woman behind the desk looked up at Gracie, who smiled friendlily.

“Hello, we have reservations for three rooms under the name Torman” Gracie spoke the words confidently. The woman smiled weakly back at her and began tapping at the keys of a computer.

“You do realise you are a little late for check in.” She said disapprovingly. Gracie nodded convincingly.

“Traffic, there was a crash on the motorway we were travelling on. It caused a little delay” Gracie smiled again. The woman nodded and looked back at the screen.

“Torman, Torman” she muttered to herself. “Ah, yes. Here we are, last minute check in, three double bed guest rooms, for a week.” She looked up and smiled. Gracie nodded.

“Yeah, that’s us!” she  confirmed. The woman examined her for a few seconds before speaking.

“This hotel is usually occupied by business groups and executive conferences for companies, I am required to remind all guests to not cause any disturbances to any of the other guests.” She said, her eyes drifting over Alex. Alex noticed this and crossed his arms as he glowered at the woman. She looked slightly embarrassed as she turned her eyes back onto Gracie. Gracie was a very friendly person and it showed in her eyes.

“Yes, of course. There’s no need to worry. I’m studying archaeology and am here to just see Stonehenge.” Gracie explained. The woman nodded. She unlocked a drawer to her right and pulled out three key cards. She handed them across to Gracie.

“thank you.” Gracie smiled at the woman.

“Have a pleasant stay” the woman smiled cheerfully. It was an unconvincing smile. Gracie lead the way over to the lifts towards the left of the foyer. She pressed for the first floor. They waited silently for the lift. When the doors slid open, the small compartment was empty. A railing ran around the walls halfway up from the floor. It was a brass colour and cold to the touch. The floor was a thin red carpet and the walls matched. Gracie and Alex stepped into the lift. Oscar hesitated. Gracie looked at him.

“What’s up?” she asked. Oscar looked at her.

“I’m not to keen, on lifts” He explained feeling slightly ashamed of his irrational fear.

“Oh. Well that’s to be expected” Gracie said thoughtfully. Oscar looked curiously at his sister. “I’ll explain later” She answered his quizzical gaze. The doors closed.

          Oscar exhaled and pulled his duffle bag over his shoulder. He walked to the right of the lifts where the stairs were located. They were difficult not to notice. They were marble with a red carpet centred down the middle of the steps. Oscar began his climb up the steps. He reached the bend in the steps and turned the corner. His eyes were unfocused and he wasn’t concentrating. He walked straight into a woman. He started as she tumbled back. The paperwork and folders she had being carried flew into the air. She fell to her knees collecting all the papers together. Oscar threw himself down to help her. The woman was a curvaceous brunette. Her hair hung in loose wave’s just past her shoulders. Her lips were rouge matching her red stiletto’s she was wearing a black pencil skirt and a white button up long sleeved shirt. The sleeves were rolled up.

“I’m so sorry!” Oscar apologized. The woman glanced at him but didn’t reply. She stood up. Oscar did the same. He handed across the paper he’d collected together. She took them off him.

“Why don’t you try watching where you’re going next time!” She snapped at him. She walked away from him.

“I, I am sorry” He called after her. She ignored him and carried on walking. Oscar shook his head and carried on up the stairs. Within five minutes he’d met up with Gracie and Alex. They were stood opposite the lift. They were looking in opposite directions, as if determined not to give something away, or catch each others eye. They looked rather uncomfortable. Oscar was too tired to notice how they were acting, and instead, he joined them and mumbled something about being exhausted. They appeared to understand and nodded.

“Oscar your in B16, Alex B14 and I’m in B15” Gracie smiled at them. She handed across the key cards. They all separated and walked into their separate rooms. Gracie’s was across the hall from Alex and Oscar. Oscar walked into his room and smiled. The room was cosy, comfortable, but still a hotel room. Modern but without character. The only character the room did seem to have, was a picture of the Stonehenge which hung above the headboard of the bed. Oscar dumped his bag on the floor and quickly dressed into his pyjama bottoms and plain T-shirt. Oscar walked into the bath room and brushed his teeth, washed his face and got ready for a well deserved sleep. He couldn’t believe that last night he had had a break in. now he was on a mad hunt, because Alex found a clue. This all seemed too ridiculous for him to handle. Oscar needed to ignore this feeling or he’d get worked up and not get to sleep. He left the bathroom and crawled into bed. He was shattered. Too much had happened. He’d figure it out later. Right now he wanted to sleep. His eye lids felt so heavy. His eyes began to close. He yawned. The bed was so warm. He smiled as he settled down.

        There was a knock at his door. Oscars eyes flew open reluctantly. Who was it! Why couldn’t he just sleep. Give him that much. The tap on his door seemed more urgent and impatient this time. Oscar thought about pretending he was asleep and ignoring it, but as the third tap was louder than before, Oscar groaned. He’d have to answer it. He pulled back the covers on his bed and heavily swung his legs out of bed. He staggered to the door. He opened it. Alex was stood there. He was grinning at Oscar.

“Alex, It’s late. I’m tired. Go away” Oscar said flatly. Alex didn’t pause. He walked straight into Oscars room. Oscar sighed and closed the door with more force than was intended. It made a slightly loud bang as it shut. Alex was sat on Oscars bed.

“It’s real nice this place, isn’t it!” Alex smiled happily.

“Alex, please. Lets do this tomorrow. I’m absolutely shattered. Driving tires me out” Oscar said. Alex ignored the hint of a plea in Oscars voice.

“I cant believe we got you here!” Alex exclaimed excitedly. Oscar didn’t react.

“I mean, your so cynical  about this sort of stuff! don’t get me wrong though. It’s great to have you here!” Alex sighed happily, stretching across Oscars bed.

“How do you manage to have such energy?” Oscar asked, stifling a yawn. Alex shrugged.

“Alex, why are you here, in my room, when I want to sleep?” Oscar asked. Alex thought about the question for a minute before grinning.

“Well, seen as your place got broken into… and they were clearly looking for my clue,” He put emphasis on the word ‘my’ “Do you think if they want it so badly they’d follow us and if so do you recon it’ll be like an action movie with Gun’s and car chases and stuff?” Alex asked. Oscar rolled his eyes.

“Goodnight Alex” Oscar said wearily, shunting Alex of the bed and out of the door. When he closed the door and walked to his bed, he faintly heard Alex call,

“So, that’s a No then, right?”

© Copyright 2010 the freak in pink (thefreakinpink at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1637727-Gold