*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639924-Tears-Cured-Deafness
Rated: · Documentary · Other · #1639924
Mother’s Tears Cured Her Son’s Deafness
On the summer of 2009, a British boy Burry suddenly suffered from nerve deafness when swimming, and then he could not hear anything. His mother Siwen took him to a lot of hospitals, but they were only told that there was no cure for nerve deafness yet. Siwen was so sad that she held her son in her arms to sleep, with tears shedding from her eyes continuously every night. Perhaps her tears had touched God, and Burry’s deafness was incredibly cured one year later.
On June 3, 2009, the sun flung its bright rays on the city of Witcham, Essex County, the United Kingdom. In an open-air swimming pool, 32-year-old Siwen and her husband Jack were swimming in the cool water, and their 6-year-old son, Burry, was having a rest on the shore after a three-minute underwater swimming. Burry climbed on the rattan chair and drunk the lemon tea happily. Siwen looked at Burry, and a slow smile crept around the corner of her mouth.
Siwen was a drama actor, who often performed tragic characters in the theater. However, in her real life, she was quite happy. In 2000, Jack, a sales manager of an IT company, went to the theater. At that day, Siwen just performed the Lady of the Camellias. Her good acting deeply moved the audience, of course, including Jack. After the performance, Jack went to the backstage area and found Siwen, and then they spent a pleasant night together. Since then, Jack had become her loyal fans. Wherever she performed, he would go to see it on time. Two years later, they married and had their son Burry later.
Just then, a heavy clang coaxed Siwen out of her trance. It was the man and woman next to Burry that chased about and knocked down the rattan chair, which crashed into the sun umbrella and dragged down the table, on which the tea and cakes poured onto the ground. All people in the swimming pool were stunned and looked over there. However, Burry not even looked up. “What on earth does he think?” Siwen smiled.
"Burry, what do you think?" Siwen climbed out and asked Burry from far away, only getting no answer. She went close to him and patted his shoulder:”Why not answer me?” Burry looked up and looked at her blankly, as if he had not heard anything. Siwen felt that something was wrong with him and asked anxiously:” What’s the matter with you?” Burry still did not respond. So, Siwen hastened to ask Jack to climb out. They stood in front of Burry and asked a lot of questions eagerly. But Burry only looked at them in disbelief, and finally said: “Daddy! Mommy! Are you playing silent movie? Why are you just opening your mouths but saying nothing?”
On hearing these words, their hearts sank. They hastened to take Burry to hospital, and then came the bad news. After a detailed examination, the doctor found that pseudomonas aeruginosa and radiobacter in the dirty swimming pool had entered into Burry’s ears. A few days ago, Siwen had wounded Burry’s ears when she picked them, so the bacteria invaded his inner ears through the wounds and led to the conduction pathway lesions of the nerve of the inner ears, which resulted in nerve deafness. Then the doctor announced that Burry’s nerve system was completely dead and he could not hear anything all his life. What was more, if Burry did not accept any special voice training; he would soon lose the ability to talk. The doctor explained that people must hear the sound when they wanted to learn to talk, but the deaf people like Burry could hear nothing, so the language learning loop would be interrupted, and thus they would become deaf.
The summer day should have been incomparably beautiful, but it destroyed their life without any signs. Siwen and Jack simply could not accept the unforeseen event, and stumped home. “It is your entire fault! If you did not wound his ears, he would not been infected by the bacteria and become deaf. ” Jack scolded Siwen severely. Siwen had nothing to say in reply and was racked by remorse. They went to other hospitals, only getting the same diagnosis.
Later in the night, Burry asked Jack to tell stories as usual. In the past, Jack told stories to Burry every night, but Burry could not hear any stories now. He looked at Jack in some perplexity with open eyes, and did not know why his father no longer talked to him and told stories to him. Jack did not dare to face such miserable eyes and began to indulge in bars. Only in alcohol, he could temporarily forget the pain. Soon, he met another woman, with whom he did not need to think of any sad things. Jack went home later and later, and the father who tenderly told stories to his son every night disappeared.
At the end of July, 2009, Siwen and Jack took their son to another hospital, but the answer was still disappointing. On the way home, Jack went away angrily. Two hours later, he returned home and took out a piece of divorce settlement. “I can not stand this depressing life any longer.” Siwen did not detain Jack, and then he who had loved Siwen for nine years left her callously.
As Siwen watched Jack walking away from her, she threw herself into the sofa and put her head on her knees like a dying bird. Burry quietly played with toys in the living room, and laughed from time to time. However, he would even lose the laughter just several months later. Her heart was broken into pieces, and tears turning down her face. Then Burry walked over to her, patted her shoulder and whispered “Mom”. Siwen looked up, with her face bathed in tears. On seeing the little pitiful Burry, she hugged him tightly and decided to take care of him.
That night, when it was time to go to sleep, Burry clamored and refused to go to bed, because he used to sleep with his father who would tell stories to him. “Daddy, I want Daddy!” Burry looked for his father, and Siwen hugged him into her arms. “Daddy have gone away, but Mommy is here. Mommy will sleep with you and tell stories to you.” Siwen talked incessantly.
Siwen chose a picture book called The Alchemist which Jack had prepared to read to Burry from the book shelf. Siwen held Burry in her arms, opened the book and flicked the pages over with him. “Spanish Shepherd Junior San Diego has dreamt twice the same dream that a lot of treasure was hidden near the Egyptian pyramids. Intuition told him that this dream was unusual. Guided by the Melchizedek king of Salem, San Diego decided to sell the sheep and went far away to seek his dream.” Although Burry could not hear now, Siwen still read aloud. Finally, Burry fell asleep.
Siwen took another look at her son with a sigh, laid down the picture book and took up her own drama script. Because Burry could not hear anything now, she could read out aloud. The script was about a middle-aged woman who had been dumped by her husband. “What Mom has is only little prince. What little prince has is only Mom. Mom and little prince will belong perpetually to each other.” The lines of the drama just spoke out her voice. She looked at Burry’s sad face and could not restrain her tears that fell down his head one after another. However, Siwen just did not notice it. Then, she also fell asleep. The next day, when she woke up, she found that the pillow towel was totally wet and she still had tears in her eyes.
Siwen dashed away her tears and began to make a short-term plan. Since Burry could not be cured in a short time, Siwen decided to take him to a special training school. Burry had lost sight; she would not let him lose the ability to speak.
Siwen decided to take the best care of Burry. Although Burry was deaf because of swimming in dirty water, he still loved swimming and told his mother that he wanted to go swimming. Although the doctor had told Siwen that Burry should not swim any more in order to avoid infecting bacteria again, Siwen felt so sorry when she saw the keen eyes of her son. Then, she went to consult the doctor again and was told that putting plug in the ears could prevent water from sucking in. Finally, Siwen built a swimming pool in her own yard to ensure the quality of water. Burry liked underwater swimming and Siwen would worry about him once he did not surface. So, she designed and installed a searchlight in the pool. If she wanted Burry to surface, she could turn on the searchlight.
At weekends, Siwen would accompany Burry to go shopping and roaming, since she did not want her son to be isolated with the society. One day, Burry asked Siwen to let himself slide pulley on the road and Siwen agreed, because he was skillful and there were almost no people on the road. Suddenly, a truck drove over and honked from far away, but Burry simply could not hear the honk. The urgent scene struck fear into the heart of Siwen and she rushed forward to throw herself across the road with Burry. Fortunately, they escaped.
After this experience, Siwen realized that although she wanted to try the best to look after Burry, she would not be with him all the time and she must teach him to learn to stand on his own two feet. So, Siwen began to teach Burryto get up by himself. She bought a vibration alarm clock for him and put it under his pillow every night. The next morning, he would be wakened up automatically by the clock. Then, she trained him to go to the stores and go to school all by himself. Of course, she always secretly followed him.
Although Siwen tried her best to take care of Burry, Burry still missed his father very much. Perhaps God was moved by Burry, one day in early August, Siwen and Burry met Jack and his new wife on the street. “Daddy, you have not been home for such a long time. I miss you so much. I want to listen to your stories and go to the zoo with you.” Burry excitedly ran into Jack’s arms. Jack kept his son tightly, but he had to elbow him around aside when he saw his new wife was unhappy. Then Jack went away immediately, despite Burry’s heartbroken cry. Until late that night, Burry still cried for “Daddy” and did not want to read the picture book. Siwen held her son tightly and said quietly: “Mom will go with you to see the Sesame Street, to see glaciers in Alaska, to see the platypus and exotic birds in Australia Zoo, and to see the tyrant dinosaurs in the museum.” Slowly, Burry went asleep, and Siwen broke into tears that fell on Burry’s head silently.
Time went on. Every night when Siwen went home, she would read the picture book with Burry first, and then practiced her lines of the drama. Maybe the drama was too sad, or maybe the real life was too cruel, Siwen always went asleep with tears in her eyes every night.
In mid-August, Burry had read half of the picture book. In the book, San Diego had drifted across the channel and reached Africa. Although he was deprived of all his money by fraud in Africa, he still did not stop his pace and moved on to the desert where he nearly died of thirst. Then he was a bit frustrated. At that time, the Melchizedek king of Salem said to him in time: “When you really desire something, the whole universe will unite to help you to achieve your goal. When you pursuer your dream with all your heart, we would have the chance to get close to it. Even if you fail, you have pursued it with all your heart.” Siwen was hit by the words in an instant. These words were obviously told to her.
Siwen was really keen to make Burry regain his hearing, but the diagnosis of so many hospitals had frustrated her and she began to believe that Burry’s deafness could not be cured. However, not yet coming to the last ditch, how could she give up? She vowed that she would move heaven and earth to make Burry hear sounds of the world again. As long as she made her best effort, God would see her sincerity and give a healthy son back to her. Since then, Siwen beat about for a solution to nerve deafness. She went out for a solution endlessly, but she returned home disappointedly time after time. However, she did not give up and still try all ways to cure Burry’s deafness.
At the end of August, 2009, Siwen received a new role of acting a nurse in a drama. In order to acting more vividly, she went to Witcham General Hospital to have a firsthand taste of nurses’ life. On the first day of entering the hospital, Siwen made a big fuss, since she knew nothing about medicine. Finally, she had a while to rest. Just then, she was attracted by a plant in a flowerpot. The vine of the plant hung down like hair, and the round leaves of the plant suspended like tears of a baby. “It is called Baby's Tears.” A man’s voice rolled out behind her back. Siwen turned over and saw a doctor wearing a white robe. “I am the neurosurgeon Brook.” He smiled and stretched out his right hand. Then they shook hands pleasantly. Brook looked at Siwen, and took a glance at the plant, then said: “You have the same temperament with the plant. It is a kind of unspeakable grief.” Siwen smiled: “I am an actor who always performs tragic roles.” Somewhat taken aback, Brook also laughed.
Because Siwen usually had to stay late in the hospital, she had to take Burry with her in the hospital. Just at that time, Brook knew why the beautiful woman always looked blue. On the one hand, he felt sympathy for her; on the other hand, he admired her so much. So he often helped Siwen to do rehabilitation training for Burry and paid close attention to the research of nerve deafness. Once there was new research progress, he would tell Siwen immediately. Without consciously realizing when, Brook had become good friends of Siwen and Burry.
October 14 was Burry's birthday. Siwen and Brooke spared the time to play with him. During the day, they had a go on the skyscraping round and the merry-to-round, and Burry revealed an elusive smile. On seeing Burry’s smile, Siwen was very grateful for Brook. In the evening, they went to a restaurant that Brook had booked long before. Then Brook took out a big birthday cake. Burry blew out all the six candles at one go; meanwhile, Siwen and Brook sang "Happy Birthday" to him. Suddenly, Siwen was beyond herself with grief. One year ago, she had a healthy son and a happy family. At that moment, her son was living in endless silence, and the original happy family was broken. Tears almost welled up in her eyes, but she kept up appearances desperately.
Suddenly, Burry yelled out "Daddy", put down the cake, jump down the chair, and ran to a table near them. Surprisingly enough, Jack was sitting on the table with his pregnant wife. On seeing Burry, Jack was also very happy. However, when he glanced at his new wife who was unhappy immediately, he hurried to take Burry back to Siwen. “Take care of him.” Jack went away even without saying “Happy Birthday” to his son. “Is this the dad who loves Burry that much?” Suddenly, old memory crowded in on her. It left her helpless with no control over herself and tears almost burst out. She hurried to tell herself not to cry.
“Can you drive us home?” Siwen kept back her tears and asked Brook. “Of course.” Brook nodded. Burry still wanted to go to his father, but Siwen drew him away. In the car, Burry cried loudly and finally fell asleep. “Are you OK?” Brook perceived that Siwen was unhappy and asked her with concern. “Nothing, I just suddenly remembered that I seemed to have forgotten to turn off the faucet. Can you drive a little faster?” Siwen tried to cover up her real feeling. So Brook sped up, and they arrived at Siwen’s house soon. “Good-bye.” Siwen hastily entered her house and put Burry on the bed. Watching his swollen face, she could not keep her feeling and burst into tears. Alas, what she had forgotten to turn off was not the faucet, but her tears.
Siwen was sad, while the doorbell suddenly rang. She went to open the door with a pair of swollen eyes. It was Brook. He looked at her and held her in his arms with pain: “He is not worth your tears.” Then, Brook screwed up enough courage and said: “I have loved you for a long time. I have been deeply moved by your willpower and determination. Let me take care of you and Burry in the future.” Siwen looked up and just saw his sincere eyes. She hesitated and asked him: “Burry is my whole life. Can you love him as you love me?” Brook nodded solemnly.
On the night of November 12, 2009, Siwen held Burry to read the picture book The Alchemist as usual. That day, the book had been almost turned over to the end. San Diego, who had gone through hell, finally overcame various physical and spiritual difficult, arrived at the pyramids of Egypt and found out the secret of treasure.
San Diego’s dream was finally realized, but how did Siwen’s dream that she hoped Burry’s deafness to be cured one day? Siwen pondered sadly, and tears shed her face quietly. “Mommy, your tears have fallen into my ears. It is itching." Burry suddenly chuckled. Until then, Siwen discovered that her eyes were watering. “Sorry.” She hastened to take up towels to wipe away the tears falling on the head of Burry. “It does not matter. You will feel much better if you burst out tears.” Burry stood up and helped Siwen to wipe away the tears. “Do you know that Mommy is sad?” Siwen asked in surprise. The little child has actually grown up and known to comfort his mother. Suddenly, Siwen was shocked and grasped his arms: “Can you hear my voice?” To her excitement, Burry nodded.
Siwen could hardly believe it and quickly called Brook with her mouth wide open. In less than fifteen minutes, Brook arrived at her house. In order to avoid Burry reading lips, they asked him a lot of questions, with his back to them. To their great surprise, Burry furnished right answers. Then Brook was astonished to open his mouth wide. So Brook and Siwen looked at each other and both could not believe that this was true.
“Siwen, tell me, what magic treatment on earth has Burry taken?” When they calmed down, Brook asked Siwen. “No. I have not taken him to accept any treatment in recent.” Siwen spread out her hands blankly. “What special food has he had?” Brook did not give up and continued to ask. “No.” Siwen made her effort to recall, but still could not think of any useful things. “Then it is strange.” Brook was baffled.
Early the next morning, Brook took Burry to the hospital and made a detailed examination. And they were ecstatic at the result that Burry’s hearing had been completely restored. “Thank God!” Siwen drew a cross in her chest with trembling hands.
Although Burry had regained his hearing, Brook and Siwen still felt uneasy once they did not find out the reason that Burry’s deafness was cured. Brook believed the reason was in relate to the daily life of Burry. After discussing with Siwen, Brook decided to record events that occurred in Burry, hoping to find out some unusual trace.
At six o'clock in the morning, the vibration alarm clock went off and woke Burry. After having breakfast, Burry went to school. During the day, he routinely accepted some special training methods. At five o’clock in the afternoon, Siwen went to the school to pick up Burry to the hospital. At nine o’clock in the evening, Siwen told stories to Burry as usual. When Burry fell asleep, she took up the script and played her lines. She immersed in the drama quickly and burst into tears unconsciously. The tears glided along her face and fell onto Burry’s head. With her eyes full of tears, Siwen gradually fell asleep.
Brook followed Burry and recorded his daily life for three days. Although he had viewed the video without number, he got no trace. The video was played to the end once again, and it was to no avail. Brook stood up regretfully and smoked a cigarette, while something flashed in front of him. He locked eyes with the video; it was the glittering tears that rolling down Siwen’s face. Just at that moment, Brook had a new discovery. In the video, Siwen’s tears just fell into Burry’s ear. Brook called Siwen at once: “Did your tears fall into Burry’s ears every night you held him to go asleep?” Siwen said that she did not know because she had not noticed it. However, her tears did drop into Burry’s ear on the night she discovered that he had regained his hearing.
Brook immediately extracted Siwen's tears and carried out a composition analysis. He was surprised to find that the tears contained a kind of alkaline enzyme called lysozyme that could be bactericidal anti-inflammatory in medicine. He inferred that with Siwen’s tears dropping into Burry’s ears, a lot of lysozyme penetrated into the nerve cells of his inner ears and eliminated the inflammation of the nerve cells rapidly, as a result, the nerve system of his inner ears was repaired and his deafness was cured quietly.
In order to verify his speculation, Brooke carried out an experiment on three rats that had nerve deafness. At first, Brook lit firecrackers near the rats, but they were all indifferent. Then, Brook put the rats into a quiet room and dropped a lot of tears into their ears. A week later, Brook poured forth music in the room, but the three rats still had no reflection. Finally, one month later, when the music was run, a rat suddenly jumped up and horribly looked toward the direct where the music came from. On seeing this, Brook jumped up too! Two days later, the other two rats also responded to the music. Their hearing was restored! It was really the tears that were at work!
On January 5, 2010, Siwen and Brook would marry. "Mommy, San Diego's dream has come true, and my dream is also realized." Burry was lying on the knees of Siwen who was in traditional white. "What is your dream?" Siwen never knew that her son even had a dream. “I hope my mother happy." On hearing this, Siwen could not help bursting into tears. How could she cry in such a good day? Burry quickly grasped towels to wipe away the tears of his mother. Just at that time, Brook walked in and saw Siwen’s watery eyes, and then he laughed. “You must have forgotten to turn off the faucet once more.” Then, he hung on to the hands of Siwen and Burry and walked out to the church.
© Copyright 2010 neurologyresearchmagazine (neurologystudy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1639924-Tears-Cured-Deafness