*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640643-The-Best-Things-In-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1640643
It doesn't take alot to please me, contrary to what family and friends may tell you.
The Best Things In Life


I am celebrating my 57th birthday and counting, what a year!  A family relationship deteriorated, my home was lost as well as a close friend passing.  Our new President says it is the year for change.  I say “bring it on”. 

What's this, an invitation to my friend Sylvia's house?  The invitation says, a buffet dinner will be served so bring a hardy appetite.  It begins at 8, don't be late!

Sylvia is a sweet, gray-haired lady, in her 80's.  She lives out side the city on a few acres and I always welcome an excuse to visit her.  The still, quiet and peacefulness and her company are like a vacation. 

Not a whole lot in my closet since I lost my house.  I had to dwindle down as much as I could, knowing I may make a couple of moves before I wind up where I am truly meant to be.  So its a choice between my green striped, mid arm length, satin feeling shirt, or the black one.  And let's see, should I wear my black pants or my black pants with that?  I resisted getting rid of things at the time of the move but to tell you the truth I kind of like the lightness of living now, a lot less choices about stuff that really doesn't matter!

OK, clothes are laid out and ready.  My Sunday go-to-meetin flip flops, black with sequence- I am a wild woman, are on the floor next to the clothes.  Nothing left to do but wait til it's time to go.

I am showered, dressed, and hungry.  So off to what I know is going to be a delicious affair because Sylvia doesn't do anything but the best.  Did I mention she was an ex-marine.  Just being a Marine is something, but a woman and a Marine. 

As I leave the city limits there is only another car or two, a welcome change from where I live.  The symmetrical planting of trees and shrubs of the Nurseries I pass is appealing to my left brain and the calmness appeals to the right.  I can feel my muscles relaxing as is my breathing.  I take in the peaceful surroundings.  Up ahead, destination Sylvia's.

I park the car and walk through the front patio to the front door and knock.  “Come in” I hear.  I open the door and “Surprise”  Sylvia yells!  And out pops 6, no 7 no 8 of Sylvia's squirrel friends.  Did I mention she is a bit of recluse?  Pumpkin (her canine companion) and the little animals that come to visit are her friends, and as it turns out my surprise birthday guests too!  Sylvia didn't let me down, my favorites:  churrasco (cuban style of skirt steak), boiled yucca with garlic in olive oil poured over it, and collard greens.  And for desert mmmm I'm salivating just thinking of it:  Sweet Potato Casserole – How is it made you ask?  Sweet potatoes, pineapple, coconut, walnuts, brown sugar, a tad of flour, and the secret ingredient – whispering, “five shots of rum, 4 for the casserole and one for Sylvia. 

Sylvia and I ate until we could eat no more and sat out under the stars talking about what ever came to mind and reminiscing.  Pumpkin and our 8 little friends were laid out on the ground, stomachs full.  Sylvia made a special buffet for them.  Pumpkin had some plain sweet potatoes and carrots with rice and her squirrel guests had an assortment of nuts.

It was getting late and I was beginning to dread the ride home.  Sylvia must of picked up on my thoughts because she said, “time for your presents”.  Presents for me?  A big smile crossed my face.  She said “remember the room I have been having you clean out for me?”  Your presents are in there, go look.  I jumped up like a little kid and ran to the room with the eight little rodents following behind with squeaks and clicks like they knew what this was all about.  Pumpkin and Sylvia close behind them. 

Oh-my-god!  There was a ribbon across the door to the room with, Welcome to your new home, written across it.  I started crying and pushed through the ribbon into the room.  All the furniture I had been refinishing (and telling her how I wish I had pieces like it) were for me.  Sylvia spoke from behind me, “that is if you want”.  If I want!  Everyday is now a vacation.

Sylvia and I and our little friends start our day on the back patio with morning coffee and breakfast.  My days are filled with pleasant conversation, peaceful strolls through the surrounding nature and writing, most recently about my new home.

By-the-way my little friends presented me with an assorted collection of ribbon, buttons and trinkets. I assume for my birthday.  I swear I hear Sylvia talk to them.  And Pumpkin, she gave the gift of furry love.  Keeping me company when I go on my nature walks, and laying on my lap (all 40 pounds of her) for afternoon naps.

As far as I'm concerned, I am the richest girl in the world!  New friends, a new home and time to do what I love.  It doesn't get any better than this...

Word count 893
© Copyright 2010 Jessica A. Martinez (tmlightworker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1640643-The-Best-Things-In-Life