*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1641220-Runaway-Caught
Rated: E · Other · Romance/Love · #1641220
Sequal to Runaway.
Runaway Caught

The Rose

It was the day of Eleanor's graduation, and I was seriously running behind schedule. I had intended to buy her a rose from one of the flower shops on Main Street, but when I got there they told me they where all booked out. So, to my great dismay, I was forced to make my way to the other flower shop on the same street. That flower shop. I avoided that place like the plague, but this time I had no choice. I had to get that rose.

After half-running for about two blocks, I made it to the shop. I paused in front of the door and tried to steady my breath. One glance at my watch told me that I didn't have time to hesitate. I stepped into the store and walked straight over to the cabinet where they keep their roses.

"How can I help you?" asked soft voiced woman.

"Yes, I'd like a..." I stopped mid-sentence when my eyes met the sky blue ones observing me from behind the counter. Shit. My worst fears had been realised. My heart was beating so fast it felt like it was going to burst out of chest any second. "I... I'd like a... red rose, please," I managed to stutter.

She smiled. Damn, that smile. I couldn't breathe anymore. I was sure I'd pass out soon.

"Would you like a tall or a short rose?"

"A tall one."

"Okay. And what shade of red would you like?"

"That dark one's fine."

I couldn't bring myself to look at her. I simply couldn't. I was so ashamed of what I had done. There was no way I could make that up to her. Not now.

"And just one rose, was it?"

Or is there... I finally looked up.

"Actually, make it two. In separate packings, please."

She looked at me with a curious expression. As she dressed the roses up with some greens and wrapped them in cellophane, I went through their card display. I picked a "Congratulations! You did it!" card for Eleanor and a rose card with no writing for the other one.

"There you go," she said as she handed the flowers to me. "That would be 12,50."

I paid for the flowers, and put the cards where they belonged. Then I handed the rose carded package back to her, and left the store.

Once outside, I watched though the window as she read the card.

If I recall correctly, I owe you for a pizza. Lunch tomorrow?

Underneath that I had scribbled my phone number.

She laughed heartily and smelled the rose. Convinced that my peace offering was well received, I left for Eleanor's party.


The Message

The party was typical cocktail party. Nice food, nice drinks and a load of people you've never met and probably never will again. Mainly I just sat on a couch and sipped Coke out of my champagne glass.

About a half an hour after I arrived, my phone started vibrating.

1 new message

Could it be...? I opened the message.

My lunch break starts 11.30. See you then.

My mouth spread in such a wide smile I must have looked like the Cheshire Cat. Eleanor came into the room, and with just one look at my face told her more than I would've liked her to know.

"Who is it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I lied innocently.

It didn't work. In fact, not even close. She assumed her most feared expression. There are no words to describe it. It says "I know you're lying", "I will get the information I want" and "I am the Queen of the Universe" all at once. And usually she did get what she wanted. But not this time. It took every ounce of my mental capacity to resist that look.

"It's nothing," I lied again. "Really."

Eleanor squinted. She wasn't in the least bit convinced, but she let it go and poured more Coke for both of us. I sighed in relief. Of course this meant I had to watch my glass very carefully for the rest of the night, so she couldn't slip any truth serum in it.

The Lunch

At 11.25 I arrived at the flower shop. She was already waiting for me at the corner of the pizza place. She had Her back to me, so I tapped Her gently on the shoulder.

"Eve."

She turned around, smiling her smile that could melt icebergs. The smile that melted away all my fears.

"Hi."

"Hi." I opened the door for her. "Shall we?"

The place was practically empty. We walked up to the counter and I placed our order.

"Two minced meat and tuna pizzas, please."

Eve laughed.

"My favourite. I can't believe you remembered!"

"Of course I remembered. I haven't eaten any other kind since."

She looked me in the eyes, trying to tell if I was lying. I wasn't. We took a table in the back so we'd have more privacy. While waiting for our meal, I chatted casually about our lives. Our jobs, our families, our friends. When I told her about Eleanor's party and that look, she giggled.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that," she said and placed her hand consolingly on mine. "Oh, your hands are really cold."

She took both my hands in hers and blew some warm air on them. Just then, the waitress arrived with our food, and my heart jumped to my throat. She looked at us a little crooked, but remained polite none the less. Eve held my hand tightly, as if to make sure I stayed put, until the waitress left.

We ate our meals without saying much, mainly because she only had a half an hour to finish hers, but it in no way an uncomfortable silence. When we were done I walked her back to the flower shop.

"Same time tomorrow?"

"You bet."

Two Months Later

"I'm gonna getcha!"

"Hah, dream on!"

On a bright summer' day, we ran barefoot across a large grass field behind the building where she lived. Not the best idea, I must admit. I must've cut my foot in glass more than twice during the run.

"Aah!" I stopped and looked at my foot. Great. Another one. Right then, Eve jumped me and nearly knocked us both over.

"Gotcha!" she exclaimed and chuckled.

I turned around in her arms and wrapped my own around her waist.

"Yeah," I pecked her tenderly on the lips. "You caught me."
© Copyright 2010 blaidd-ddyn (blaidd-ddyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1641220-Runaway-Caught