*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1641902-UNDER-THE-STARS-Stories-Daddy-Told-Me
by Celes
Rated: E · Short Story · Folklore · #1641902
An African story told to teach and educate on morals and responsibility.
UNDER THE STARS
(Stories Daddy Told Me)

In those days when all animals were equal, when there was no oppression, no obsession, all loved each other and protected each other; there was peace within the kingdom. They thought it would be forever.

In those days the village square was the seat of wisdom; no one was foolish among them, not at the village square. Though Mr. Tortoise was wise, he hid it from others for fear of being made the king. However, the community knew. But he was too slow, and when he got annoyed, he would disappear in his shell, and would leave others searching the forest for him. That couldn’t have been the right animal to be king; simply for this reason no one wanted him. And there was yet another reason: he could smile with a dagger hidden under his tongue, more especially when dealing with a friend he did not like very much.

One day, Mr. Fox and Mr. Kite rebelled; one disappeared in the forest, the other disappeared in the skies. Other animals became afraid, really afraid. Within a short while, some animals started missing mysteriously. A dark shadow of a flying object would suddenly appear in the sky, swoop down, and an animal would disappear. At other times, an animal could disappear on the way to the stream. This caused fear and panic and worry in the community. The young animals stayed in hiding, and could not be taught hunting. The weak cried for protection. The mothers cried for their young ones not yet weaned for the art of self survival.

The villagers gathered at the village square—the seat of wisdom—one early morning to discuss the threat. Mr. Tortoise was on his way to the square when he met Mr. Chicken going in a different direction. ‘Where’re you going, my friend?’ he asked. Mr. Chicken did not answer. Running after him, he grabbed him by the tail. Some feathers pulled off. Mr. Chicken stopped. ‘What’s that, my friend?’ he snapped angrily.

‘Our life is in danger, and we’re going to discuss it this morning. Didn’t you hear the gong last night?’

‘I heard.’

‘Therefore?’

‘Something more than the gong summons me. Besides, my contribution doesn’t matter; I agree to whatever decision you arrive at.’

Mr. Tortoise looked at him and smiled dryly. He continued his way to the village square without uttering a word. Further down, he met Mr. Sheep. ‘Where’re you going, my friend? Didn’t you hear the gong last night?’

‘I slept through the night. Anything the matter?’ He continued chewing the cud.

‘The gong says it all.’ Mr. Tortoise looked at him and smiled dryly.

Mr. Sheep continued his way. After a while he stopped, ‘I may not have a brilliant idea, but I can offer a brilliant presence.’ He turned and went to the village square, chewing the cud.

‘Is everyone present?’ Mr. Cow, the chair-animal for the occasion, asked, scanning the gathering. Nobody answered. Mr. Tortoise kept quiet, also.

The chair-animal cleared his throat. ‘We’ve to find a lasting solution to this new trend; the community is in danger.’ He threw the discussion open. Ideas flew in from different directions, different contributions. None was the right solution. There was worrying silence, everyone eyeing each other and looking up the sky nervously.

Suddenly, there was a hovering shadow. The animals looked up. The enemy has come again. In a flash, the square was empty; the graveyard couldn’t have been quieter. After the threat was over, the community reappeared, tip-toeing cautiously, eyes in the sky.

‘We must get an answer to this mess, this morning!’ the chair-animal bellowed angrily. Another deafening, frightening silence followed. Mr. Tortoise stood up and cleared his throat. All heads turned. ‘We’ve to sacrifice one animal to save the community.’ A deafening hush! A frightening surreptitious glance at each other!

‘A brilliant idea! A brilliant idea!’ the chair-animal exclaimed. ‘But who could that be; who will offer his life for us?’

Another bout of silence descended on the square. Mr. Tortoise got up. He scanned the gathering, opened his mouth to speak but could not. He sat down again. The chair-animal bolstered his courage, ‘Speak out Mr. Tortoise, speak out.’ Mr. Tortoise got up again, looked around searchingly. ‘The chicken!’ he blurted out.

There was a deafening gasp.

When the community gathered again in the evening, Mr. Chicken was there. The decision was communicated to him. ‘Why me?’ he protested. Mr. Tortoise stood up and said, ‘As you directed, Mr. Chicken.’

Ever since then, the chicken became a prey to both the Fox and the Kite.



© Copyright 2010 Celes (ikwuamaesi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1641902-UNDER-THE-STARS-Stories-Daddy-Told-Me