*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1642910-Agreed
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1642910
Prompt: "If you do this for me, I promise I'll never ask for anything again"
Flash fiction.  Word count:  300.

Must include phrase:  "If you do this for me, I promise I'll never ask for anything again"



                         
Agreed




         Corinne was lying in the hospital bed, listening to the sound of the beeping machines while oxygen forced its way into her lungs.  She had feared that they would stick the respirator tube down her throat like they had her husband’s, but, so far, she had been spared that sufferance.  Not to worry, there were plenty others.

The door opened, so she turned her head just in time to see her daughter, Elizabeth, enter.

“Hi Mom.”

With great effort, Corinne slid her hand over for Elizabeth to take.  Her daughter’s presence eased the pain – slightly.  Even though she worked, Elizabeth visited each day during her lunch hour.  Corinne knew how difficult it was for her, and she was grateful for her daughter’s visits, so she put on her brave face. 

Four weeks had passed, and little by little she felt her body forsake her, first the kidneys, then the stroke, now her lungs.  When Corinne was alone, she remembered what the doctors had told her during her husband’s last few days:  When multiple systems go, the end is near.

“How do you feel?”  Elizabeth asked.

Corinne filtered her thoughts and replied, “It hurts.”

She felt the tears well when, with gentle care, her daughter kissed her aged hand.  Elizabeth’s face softened.  “Do you want me to ask the nurse for more morphine?”

“Yes, but that’s not all.”  Fear filled her daughter’s eyes.  They had talked about this before.  “I want a strong dose, and after the morphine, I want you to unplug the machines like we agreed before coming to the hospital.”

Elizabeth remained silent, lowering her head.  Tears fell.  She held her mother’s hand.  Corinne’s heart ached as she watched her daughter’s chin quiver.  "If you do this for me, I promise I'll never ask for anything again."

© Copyright 2010 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1642910-Agreed