*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644022-Jack
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Teen · #1644022
Arguably my strangest piece yet. Don't let the bland name fool you.
Jack’s first thought was that it was no longer raining. His second was as to what it was that caused his first thought to be about the lack of rain. It wasn’t as if it always rained he reasoned with nobody in particular, there have been more times when it has not been raining then when it has. So why would my first thought be about the lack of rain? he asked. I don’t know he replied. His next thought was cut short by the return of his hearing. He lay there for a while, simply appreciating the sounds of life around him. The next thought to cross his mind was that he was lying down. Why do I call it lying down? He pondered. Surely if I can be lying down then I can also be lying up. After committing himself towards the goal of lying up he then began thinking about how he would achieve this. It was about this time when his sense of touch returned.
What a curious feeling he thought. This must be grass. But what is grass? He asked himself. He stalled for several moments while trying to describe grass. Then his sight returned; not at once but in a steady stream. The next thing he recalled was lying on his side, staring absently at the grass all around him. This is grass he thought.
After that it was a blur, until Jack found himself standing up, all thoughts of lying up banished from his far clearer mind. He had remembered how to move and he had regained all his senses. Or they have regained me he considered. No, not clear yet he concluded. He looked around, or did the best equivalent that someone who was as confused as himself could do. In front and around him was forest. Beneath him was also forest, or maybe that’s just the grass. Probably the grass. The image crossed his mind of the colour violet, though looking around at the brown trees and green leaves and blue skies and white clouds he wondered if there really was such a thing as purple. Well there isn’t any here he replied before he could ask the question. If there isn’t any here, does it truly matter if it exists? He asked. And why on Earth do I care? Perhaps because it crossed my mind. Our mind he replied, annoyed at himself. There’s two of us? Is there? He was having a very hard time keeping up with himself. We I, or we he corrected himself are having a conversation, which means there must be at least two of us. Right? Well we could just be having a monologue. Two people can’t have a monologue. Why not? He asked himself, bemused. They just can’t, because then it would be a duologue see? So we’re having a duologue? He reasoned. I didn’t say that. But we are aren’t we? We are he admitted, So what does that mean? It means there’s two of us.


Oh.

He remained silent a while as his minds cleared. So this is the forest. I guess so. What now? I guess we explore. Sounds reasonable. Or we could eat cake. What cake? That cake Jack told himself, looking in the direction of a large wedding cake that was circling about on roller skates. Ok.
|||
Jack rolled over. The night was still bright and as he got up he saw himself covered in the remains of his cousin’s birthday cake. He turned to face Darek who lay in an unconscious heap on the hood of the car. “Dude, wake up!” He called. “Bow to the fishes” Darek replied in the voice that hours ago Jack had taken to be his own. “Man” Jack exclaimed as he rested against the side of the car. “What was in those brownies?”
© Copyright 2010 Artilyz (chrisbb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644022-Jack