*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644502-Phase-one
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Kylin
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1644502
The first phase of an experiment with an unwilling subject as taken from a journal.
Phase 1

Day 1

The last subject of the second strain came today. I’ve been placed in charge of him. Meaning I’ll be held responsible if he doesn’t survive being injected with the strain. This could be rather troublesome, disappointing Kisen is not an option. Getting him ready physically isn’t what I’m worried about. I am far more concerned about his mental state. As he has had none of the mental conditioning the other have had from far earlier an age.

Week two

I wonder if I have any hope of my subject being properly prepared. He is all but refusing to eat, and is proving unreceptive to both the physical and mental training. His constant whining for his mother is beginning to annoy me, I do so hate to go to such extreme measures but it may be necessary if I’m to make any real progress.

Week 3

I think I’ve lost that vague useless thing called humanity or perhaps conscious. That gut feeling that tells you when something is horribly wrong. I am not so far gone to say that I like it, but I do not regret it. It is better then that half hearted guilt, though perhaps some day far in the future I will look back and filled with self loathing. I will deal with that then. For now has have become compliant enough that I can do my work.

Mont 1 Week 2

Of the six given the first strain all but one has expired, and he is all but useless. While he did some how survive the “remolding” he is only kept alive by doctors and their devices. Though recovery has been promised, I find this doubtful. The second strain will hopefully prove less faulty. Or the preparation will seem rather pointless.

Month 2

Subject 12 has finally completed the entry-level preparations. His physical strength is a little below what could be desire but that will change very soon. Mentally I think he is quite smarter then his results show. His emotional state is what will no doubt be trouble. He still doesn’t understand that there is no escape. Soon he will not have the energy to even think about escape. I still find that he tried to use a fork to jam the door rather amusing.

Month 4

I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps he has masochistic tendencies, for the punishment of an escape attempt rather sever. Yet it doesn’t stop him, or even slow him I think since he tried three times in the last two months. I do miss working with those hopeless wretches from the first strain, they didn’t know anything better. We feed and clothed them and they behaved. It was so much simpler. But then they were also rather weak, which might have had as much to do with the first strain killing them as the strain itself.

Month 5

I has been nearly a full month since his last escape attempt, perhaps the more brutal then normal punishment finally got through. It is rather astonishing how much pain be caused without harming the body. I do wonder what it does to the mind however, not that it really matters.

Month 7

He has finally begun to take to the physical training, perhaps the mental conditioning is taking effect. If is it should make things a great deal easier for me. However the side effects the sleep change has are as of yet unknown, though I really don't think it will matter.

Month 10

It is only two short months until it has been a year since subject 12 has been assigned to me. I am still concerned that he won’t be ready. The conditioning seems fully effective, but I am not so sure. He still seems to be able to resist basic commands, and I think he still wishes to escape. He still has the potential to be troublesome, I'm just not sure how.

Year one

The final phase of preparation is complete or as close as I will be able to make. He passed the examination by Kisen. Which I hope to mean I am in the clear since he is taking the lead after the virus has been inject. I must admit, I am at least a little annoyed that I am to be forced to a more minor role. Though he will still be my subject, and if he ever becomes deployable I’ll be his handler. However for the next two weeks it’s business as usual, then we will see if my efforts were worth something.

Year 1 week 2

Today the procedure will begin. I don’t recall a time where I’ve been more excited. Of the other five all but one survived and that was fully the fault of a doctor. I do wonder what his fate will be, it will be rather unpleasant to say the least.

Year week 2 day 2

The procedure is half done, the virus has spread though his torso and vital organs. He has apparently nearly died three times. His heart stopped beating while it was beating while being infected, his lungs apparently stopped breathing, and their not exactly sure what caused the third. They assured me hat this was normal. How an experiment like this can be normal I do wonder. As far as I’ve seen the only thing that seems consistent between how each of the subjects are infected is that it is incredibly painful.

Year 1 week 2 day 4

The procedure is a success, and was as far as we can tell a success. The blood work proves that, as his blood now resembles something more like engine oil then human blood, though it serves the same purpose. When the next phase can begin I am not certain as that will largely depend on how soon the subject is ready. And he is yet to regain consciousness.

Authors note There are two other parts to this, I hope you will read them, and please if you notices any typos point them out.
© Copyright 2010 Kylin (kylin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644502-Phase-one