*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644897-Scapegoats
Rated: E · Poetry · Cultural · #1644897
An poetic look at the Origin for the word scapegoats.
      I was doing some research for a joke that I was writing when I came across the origin of the word scapegoat. There were several references. Two of them were Biblical in nature and one was something that was more tangible. In fact, I found it quite intriguing. It explained that one of the possible scenarios for the origin of the word for scapegoat was quite literal. Ever hear of a fainting goat? Well… there is a breed of goat that when faced with danger will either freeze or actually fall down and pass out when startled. Sheppards use to keep one or two of these goats in the herd in case a wolf attack.  The fainting goat became easy prey so that all the other goats could get away. Here is my poetic though on this.




                Scapegoats


I am not kiddin when I speak of goats,
I can see the petty glitch of nature,
all the same except for one in the herd.
Heard huh? Past tense… that is the importune
moment for which the one I speak of is placed.
For when the hunger strike becomes broken
from all of its ordinary meaning,
this is when the grazers will become the grazed.
Exposed to pointy teeth and growling bray,
this is when the chosen one will do the deed.
Heart filled with fear becoming weak-kneed
and the inclination to take to run
in goats mind becomes an elusive thing.
The dogs have their day while the flock does flee,
the group goes on oblivious and serene,
and out there in the distance a martyr waits
without his name on tongues to be released.

© Copyright 2010 Poetry For All To Ignore (blair at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644897-Scapegoats