*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644958-Moon-Spirit---Chapter-4
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1644958
Max experiences the first of a total immersion story told by the Orb
The Story, Part 1





The Orb scratched a white line across a starry black sky, dove toward the earth, and flew right in baby Alimona's bedroom window.  She reached out for it, and with a gentle thud, its fateful trip came to an end in a fleshy palm smelling of milk and cheese. Alimona giggled, blew a bubble and popped the small glowing ball into her mouth.

Across the room, her mother, Herzel, sat grinding corn, her jaw dropped. Had a small object just flown through the window right into her daughter's hand?

Herzel leaped up. "Alimona! Spit that out!"

Corn spilled in a thousand directions as she raced to Alimona, who clasped her hands over her mouth in defiance.

"Open your mouth, baby, please," Herzel begged.

After prying Alimona's fingers away, Herzel thumped her back firmly, and the Orb popped out into her hand along with a flash of light. What a strange, vibrating ball she had just freed from her daughter's mouth! Her heart sank -- nothing good, she knew, came uninvited through window in the middle of the night.

Alimona reached for the orb, but Herzel carried it away. With trembling hands, she buried it deep in a woven basket filled with soft furs. Alimona cried until she finally fell asleep after the moon slipped below the horizon. Herzel lay awake all night, cradling her and rocking while gazing at the stars, wondering what to do in the morning. Should she keep the strange arrival to herself, never mention it to anyone lest they find reason to suspect Alimona of bad magic? The villagers were fearful and suspicious these days -- bad crops, sickness did that too them. But what if Alimona needed healing after touching that orb from the sky spirits? No -- she couldn't risk her baby's life for fear of suspicions. It would be fine -- the priests wouldn't take her away. In the morning, she would bring the matter before them. They were wise and would know what to do.

Many sleepless hours later, when the day began, Herzel swaddled Alimona and placed her in a woven basket with a strong handle. She slipped the ball into a pouch at her side and headed out into the village. With a hot sun baking the world into dust all around her, Herzel trudged down dirt roads feeling as dark inside as the night of a new moon. She passed sandstone houses with smoke twisting from clay chimneys. Villagers bustled about, eyed her suspiciously. She dropped her eyes and said nothing as she marched past. In such a small village, her silence was louder than a scream. By the time she arrived at the entrance to the temple, the villagers were stacked ten deep behind her.

Herzel held Alimona in the basket, swaying back and forth, trembling from head to foot. She looked up at the gods carved in the pillars framing the entrance -- angry, powerful, wise faces -- and prayed for Alimona's protection. Please, she begged silently, I only wish to do what is best for my baby.

Sandalwood scented air floated out of the temple. Kaktup, a bald bear-sized man with bronze colored skin emerged. With thick arms marked with streaks of paint, he struck a gong and then stepped over to stand in front of Herzel. He did not speak, nor did he smile. His features were as still and harsh as the chiseled stone faces behind him.

Herzel gulped, fearing she'd made the wrong choice coming here but realizing it was too late. She lifted Alimona from the basket with shaking hands, kissed her on the forehead, and placed her on the ground at Kaktup's feet. The orb she placed on Alimona's stomach.

"It arrived last night, through the window, into her hand."

Bowing without daring to look up, she stepped back. Kaktup stooped like a giant gorilla, his knees heading in opposite directions, and picked up the ball. He held it up to the sky. He closed his fingers around it and brought it close to his chest. A moment later, he stood straight and tall and his eyes popped wide.

"What?" Herzel fell to her knees. "What is it?"

Kaktup's words were simple and harsh. "The spirits have claimed her."

Without another word, Kaktup picked up Alimona, who started to cry, and walked with her back into the temple, striking the gong once more on his way in. The villagers rushed to comfort Herzel as she collapsed and began to wail. Herzel knew she would never see baby Alimona again.



###



Bang! Bang! Bang!

Max awoke with a terrible start. Light was flooding in through the windows across the boiler room, daylight. What time was it? How long had he been asleep? The last thing he remembered was the darkness and the story...of Alimona...of the Orb...the priest. He looked at his hands. They were normal.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

What was that sound? Metal on metal. Max made his way through the maze of pipes, toward the sound and came face to face with Phil, the janitor -- bald, wrinkled, simple but generally kind. He working on fixing a valve or something with a large hammer.

"You sleep in here?"

"Yes, sir," Max said.

Phil smiled. "Sir! You the only one here ever calls me that!"

"I'll bet I am, sir. Do know what time is it?"

"Keep it up, kid, I'll buy you lunch!"

Max blanched. "Is it lunchtime? Crap!"

He had missed morning roll call! Now he'd get some awful punishment like cleaning all the toilets in the locker room!

"Yup!" Phil laughed and swung his hammer. Bang!

Max turned and headed for the door.

Bang!

"Hey kid," Phil called after him. "Your name is Berger, right?

Max turned back. "Yes, sir.""

"Well, Mr. Snefler's been looking for you. Seems you got a visitor. Best go find him."

"Thanks," Max said, feeling curious and relieved at the same time. "I will."

"Ya' better run. 'twas a while ago. Might have left."

"Yes, sir."

Bang! "Sir! I could get used to that!"

Fearing he'd missed his visitor, Max ran to the door and made his way down the stairs. Lunch was still being served, so the hallways were empty. Spaz would definitely not be out and about. There was no way he ever missed a meal at Gangren. Not caring about the sound his footfalls were making, Max ran down the corridor, his mind racing with the events of the night before and with questions about who might be here to see him? Mr. Braun? But why -- his regular visit wasn't for another few weeks.

He reached Snefler's office door and stopped for a second to calm himself before entering. Slowly, he opened the door. The first face he saw was Snefler's, and his temples were pounding on either side of his narrow, mean eyes.

"You were looking for me, sir?"

The door swung wide, leaving Max teetering. Mr. Braun stood there, staring at him, an ex-boxer turned social services worker. His usually wide, beaming face was vexed. "Where have you been, Max?" 

"Yes, Berger, come in and tell us where you've been. You missed roll call this morning!"

Max stepped inside, trying to think fast. "I heard those fire alarms go off last night, and they set of some weird, scary memories. I had to find a place where I couldn't hear them, so I slept in the boiler room."

Snefler shot up out of his chair, tall and lean, wearing a rumpled, un-tucked suit. "You remembered things? Anything specific? Any names? You know you are under court order to tell--"

"--back off, Snefler," Mr. Braun said. "We'll deal with anything Max might remember later. I'm on a tight schedule. Max, how fast can you be ready to go?'

"Go?"

"I still don't think this is a good idea!" Snefler threw a small book onto his desk.

"It's not your decision, Snefler," Mr. Braun said. "Yes, Max -- I don't know how it happened, but when I got into my office this morning, there were signed transfer papers for you. You're getting out."

"Out of Gangren? Today?"

"Pack your bags, son -- we'll leave as soon as you are ready."

Max on his way up the stairs before Snefler's temples could pulse even one more time. Freedom at last!

© Copyright 2010 LateNightWriter (fgracely at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1644958-Moon-Spirit---Chapter-4