*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646086-STORM-Chapter-Four
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1646086
Finally, Zane meets the woman who holds all the answers to this new threat.
Chapter Four

Meeting a Swan 

Zane sat at the table during lunch, two weeks after his kiss with Maybelle, and felt fear gripping his whole body. Three days ago Zane had found something, a small piece of paper folded several times and hidden underneath the covers of Zane’s bed.

The message read this:

Zane Black,

You listened to the warnings

But you are much too powerful

The end is near



You and your little organization

Best prepare for war.

We are coming for you

And our numbers are greater

Then yours.

Be prepared, warn your leaders three

Days after you receive this letter

Tell them the end is near

For on the 30th day of August,

We will arrive, and take your camp

You will perish.

Say goodbye to this world Zane, for we are coming, and it is over.

Sincerely,

The Master

         The date was August 20th; there were exactly ten days until the battle, ten days to prepare, and ten days to figure out who had done this.

He rose to his feet abruptly, causing both Nathan and Maybelle to look up in surprise.

“Are you okay?” Nathan asked, looking carefully up at his best friend.

“I need to go talk to Mr. Minix, now.” Zane announced, heading quickly for the exit, leaving his girlfriend and best friend staring at his back as he left.

The warm afternoon air hit him in the face, hard. But it didn’t slow Zane down, his walk increased in speed and soon, he was flat out sprinting towards the directors cabin.

Zane balled his hand into a fist and beat it repeatedly against the door urgently. He waited only moments before it swung open, revealing the tall, elderly camp director.

“Mr. Minix, I have something you need to see, now.” Zane’s voice was urgent and Mr. Minix did not question him. He ushered Zane into the air-conditioned cabin and they both sat down at a large table.

“Zane, please be quick. Mrs. Black is returning to the camp today. She called this morning telling me she would be here this afternoon because she had a strange feeling she was needed.” Zane’s head nodded rapidly, solemnly wishing that Molly’s feeling hadn’t been correct.

Instead of speaking, Zane just handed the piece of paper to the camps director and watched his face turn surprised and then extremely worried.

“Well, it seems Mrs. Black’s feeling was correct. We shall warn the campers later, after we’ve spoken to Molly herself about this. Go back to your cabin, Zane, I’m calling a lockdown. After I speak to Molly, if she thinks that it is appropriate, we will begin to call in our forces, she may want to speak with you, so be prepared.” Mr. Minix spoke quickly and Zane nodded, again and again.

“I’ll be ready.” He muttered, rising to his feet. Mr. Minix dismissed him quickly with a flick of his hand.

“Go.” The older man instructed and Zane was off like a flash, walking as fast as he could towards his cabin, his head held high.

“Zane!” someone called his name, but he didn’t look, he just kept walking as the announcement over the loudspeaker echoed through the camp.

All campers please return to your cabins for lockdown. A counselor will be with you soon. Thank you.

The camp erupted into chaos. Campers were running towards their cabins, yelling and shrieking over a danger they weren’t even aware of. But a camp lockdown after lunch was never, ever a good thing.

Zane slowed his walk, coming within just inches of his cabin steps.

“Zane!” His name was called again and this time, Zane turned. Nathan and Maybelle were jogging towards him.

“What just happened?” Nathan’s voice rose slowly in anger.

“Maybelle, Nathan, go to your cabin’s.” Zane instructed, his voice full of authority.

Maybelle simply nodded, stealing a swift kiss upon Zane’s cheek. She disappeared, folding into the crowd that flowed like a river towards the girl’s cabins.

“Zane.” Nathan’s voice was firm; he wasn’t about to take no for an answer.

“Listen Nathan, you’re my best friend, so I’m not going to lie to you. But what I’m about to say you can’t tell anyone about this. Okay?” Zane paused and Nathan nodded.

“We’re going to war, Nate, Molly Swan Black is coming to camp, that’s why we’re being locked down.” A counselor had started coming towards them. “Go, I’ll see you later.” Zane watched Nathan run off before he, himself, leaped up the stairs into his own cabin.

Canton, Brad, and Jesse stared up at him, but no Tyler.

“Zane, there you are.” It was Canton who spoke. “You didn’t see Tyler did you?” Zane stared at Canton and blinked.

“Um…No, I didn’t.” The blonde boy muttered, climbing into his bed and laying down on his back.

Joey, a shorter boy with dark blonde hair, came in. He was the cabins only counselor.

“Alright Boys, is everyone here?” Joey asked, his dark blue eyes scanning the room quickly.

“Actually, Joey, We’re missing Tyler.” Canton spoke up and Joey glanced down at his clipboard. .

“Tyler? There’s no Tyler in this cabin, Canton, just you, Zane, Brad, and Jesse.” Canton’s eyes grew large and Zane rolled over onto his stomach, peering over the edge of his bed.

“Oh…um…okay thanks.” Joey nodded, glanced over the boy’s once more and left. “You all saw Tyler in here, he was here, wasn’t he?” Canton’s voice was frantic.

Brad and Jesse were nodding their heads quickly. Canton looked up at Zane for some type of confirmation, but Zane offered none.

Zane didn’t answer, he just stared at Canton, his eyes accusing, and his mouth set in a thin, cruel line. Canton’s jaw slipped down and he turned away from Zane, the silence in the cabin, unshatterable.

Joey came into the cabin again, some time later and looked straight at Zane.

“You’re wanted in the Meeting Hall, Zane, Now.” Zane slid out of his bed and followed Joey from the dark, silent cabin.

“Hurry.” Joey said, pointing towards the Meeting Hall and walking the opposite way.

Zane gaped for a moment, but he didn’t have time to waste, whatever he was needed for had to be important.

The walk through camp was like a walk down death row, everyone in his or her own cabin’s stopped and stared, pressing their foreheads against the small windows.

Zane walked quickly, trying to move swiftly through the camp without being noticed, but the pairs of eyes made it clear that his efforts were failing. 

No longer could Zane stand to walk; He broke out in a flat sprint, his feet pounding the ground as he catapulted his body towards the waiting Hall.

The great looming building rose out of the ground, blocking any view of anything beyond it.

It was a large, red brick building, capped with a black-shingled roof. The thick double doors were made of mahogany and decorated with intricate designs of battles passed.

Swallowing hard, Zane shoved one of the two doors open and walked inside.

At one edge of the hall stood a small group of four people, consisting of Mr. Minix, The two current leaders of S.T.O.R.M, Patriarch Lithe and Matriarch Lithe, and Molly Swan Black.

They all turned around to look at him, causing Zane to freeze, becoming as ridged as an icicle.

“Zane, please join us.” Mr. Minix’s voice cracked the short silence as he beckoned to his former pupil. Zane took a hesitant step forward, his body following, propelling his body forward again and again.

The small group shifted, leaving an open space for Zane.  He stepped up, every nerve ending in his body screeching in fear.

“Zane, this is Mrs. Black.” Mr. Minix motioned to a 5’4 woman with a mane of dark tresses paired with light skin and stunning gray eyes laced with sadness.

“Hello Mrs. Black.” Zane spoke, meeting her careful eyes.  She smiled, but it looked wrong on her face.

“Hello Zane.” She carefully took his hand, shaking it gently before withdrawing her own.

She spoke with a thick British accent.

Zane turned towards the Patriarch and Matriarch who stood on either side of Molly. He dipped his head in great respect to all three.

“Zane,” Molly began, “We are preparing for war. I want you to come with me, there is something you need to know.” She began to walk towards the exit, not once glancing back to see if Zane was following.

Scrambling, the teen rushed to follow the woman, soon falling into step behind her. While they walked, Zane took the moment to really look at her. She was thin, very thin, with long limbs attached to her body. Everything about her seemed perfect, her proportions matched amazingly, she looked like a goddess.

No wonder Kellan fell in love with her Zane thought, quickly dismissing the thought after this. It wasn’t right to assume that Kellan Black fell in love with Molly because of her looks.

She’s probably a wonderful person Zane had paused in his walking for a moment.

“Zane! C’mon!”  Molly shouted from the door of the Armory, her arms crossed over her chest.  Zane jogged quickly over to Molly and she ushered him inside, slamming the door behind them.

The spacious room was brighter then Zane expected, the sun filtering through the windows, dancing on the floor.

Molly carefully lifted Kellan’s sword off the wall, holding it carefully into her hands.

“I heard this was the sword that came to you during your trials.” Slowly, Zane nodded. Molly blinked once and grinned.

“I was right!” her voice was high, almost as if she didn’t believe what was happening to her.

“Ms. Swan?”  Zane asked, carefully. Molly froze then, turning back to Zane, tears floating in her eyes.

“God, you sound so much like him when you say that.”  She swiped the tears from her eyes and stared at the wetness in disbelief.

“I apologize Zane, Kellan serves a fresh memory. I suppose your wondering why I’ve asked you to accompany me into the armory.”

“Of course ma’am.” His voice was polite, full of a great respect for the woman.

Molly walked across the open space towards the back wall where the banners hung. Carefully, she lifted the Lightning banner, revealing a tall, darkly colored door. Slowly, she pulled a key from around her neck. It shimmered in the light, bouncing thing shafts of blue light across the tiled floor.

There was an echoing, clattering noise from the other side of the door as she slid the key into the lock.

“Come,” Molly instructed, shoving the door open and holding it, waiting for Zane to enter.

Zane slid through, the door slamming shut behind them both. As soon as the door shut, all light was cut off, there was nothing but cold and darkness. The hallway was illuminated; Zane turned around to look at Molly.

Resting lightly in the palm of her hand was an orb of light, blue-green in color. Molly walked forward, moving past Zane and raised her hand higher.

Zane followed, straining to see ahead. All he came up with was darkness. Molly paused, muttering something softly. There was a great flash of light, causing Zane to squint. When the light faded, Zane gasped.



 

































































© Copyright 2010 BlackstarĀ© (briness at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1646086-STORM-Chapter-Four