*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1647797-Walls
by Minuit
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1647797
When Bella is forced to work with bandits who killed her family, can she escape?
          I've always been an orphan. If I could count the days, I doubt it would ever end. I'm simply a girl imprisoned in cold, unforgiving walls. Only not the type you can see. You're probably wondering, 'What could you have possibly done?' Well, that's why I'm here, isn't it? I was captured.
                                              -----------------------
            Run!

          Don't stop to think what's happened to everyone else, just...RUN! my mind screamed.

                                                  And so I ran.

          Stepping over the dead crumbly leaves and branches silently was hard, but I hadn't failed yet.

    I looked back, despite what my instinct commanded me to do. And my eyes instantly filled with tears.
                                        My parents. My friends. My village.
  "Why?" I whispered aloud, tears spilling from my eyes. Then I realized, covering my mouth quickly and holding my breath, what I had done was horrible. What if they heard me? They were only feet away from me! I backed away slowly, and a branch cracked somewhere behind me.
 
  'Oh, no!' my eyes wide with terror, I could only stand still like a frightened rabbit. I could only wait for my predator to come and kill me, along with the rest. After a few minutes, the footsteps receded, and I heard a voice call, "Must've been a squirrel or something. Couldn't have been a human; it was way too soft."
 
  'Oh, I'm your enemy all right.' I thought furiously, but felt a fierce pride surge through me when I remembered my father had taught me to move like that, silently and quickly. He had been part of the Reviendrai Army when he was young. And he had been a captain, for that matter, too. But, nothing could've prepared him for an ambush when he had been walking through the woods with me. He yelled for me to run, and terrified, I did. I hated myself for that decision. Even if I couldn't have helped him, I could've died along with him, the marking of a true hero. One who fought to the death bravely and without a regret. I could've been like my dad, fearless and compassionate. He had told me many times he could never take a life, even when his own life was on the line. My dad was proud to say he had never killed, even being in an army. That's what won him the respect of his soldiers. Instead of understanding that, in my cowardice, I left him, believing he could fend for himself, even though it was 1 against 5.
 
    When I ran to the village, seeking for help, I found it completely demolished, with bodies strewn across the wreck. The houses had been ransacked, obviously, and then the villagers dealt with. I ran to my house, only to listen to my mother plead for her familys' life, not even her own. The voices laughed and I heard a shriek. Now my mother was gone, too. This wasn't like losing an unknown relative, more like losing your own life. Why had I taken so much advantage of them? Couldn't I have realized that I would lose them one day? But...but, this was just wrong. It was like kicking a dog that was already wounded. My village couldn't have defended themselves out in the middle of this forest, even if they had the weapons and strength, just like the wounded dog. I locked my thoughts somewhere else and ran for the safety of the forest.
 
  And so here I am, hiding feet from the enemys' base camp. I want to run in there and make them experience the pain their victims face, but I knew there were too many of them. There had to be at least 30 bandits, all of them armed with at least a sword. And I had nothing but the clothes on my back and the heavy burden of my familys' unjust death.

                      So, again, I hid from it all. A branch cracked loudly under my retreating feet. Just great.
   
    I heard the pattering of feet in my direction, and I knew I could only run. So I did. I sprinted for the nearest tree, terrified, intent on climbing its long branches to get out of sight. I grabbed the base of an Oak, and pushed myself up. Only a hand grabbed at the bark, inches from my foot. I scrambled up, but the bandit was doing that, too, and he was overtaking me fast. His grubby hand touched my ankle, and I quickly shook it off, kicking him in the chest as hard as I could. I knew I only had seconds before I was captured. The bandits had already gathered around the tree, looking amused. They could be amused all they wanted, but I would fight nevertheless, like my father had. I had my pride to uphold.

        A crack to my head announced to me they had won, and I fell, unconscious onto the forest floor.
                                                ------------------------------
  I awoke to a throbbing pain in my head. Had I fallen from my bed? Had I practiced fighting with Dad until I fainted? The events of last night came flooding back to me and I bolted up. Wait, I was still alive? I was in a tent, I took in slowly, and found that I was under a blanket. Rubbing my head, I felt fabric. A bandage? Was this all a dream?

  But the conversation emanating from a campfire outside brought me back to reality.
  "...Shouldn't we kill her? She'll only want revenge," a rough voice asked.
                                      I tensed.
  "No, she can be of use. She's from a village, meaning she can cook and clean. And, she is quite a looker," another voice commented.

  I only felt disgust. I was not going to be a tool, but then I had a sudden inspiration. Another man, though, quickly voiced it, "But she might poison the food, ever thought of that? Then she could escape with her vengeance taken care of."
  So much for that inspiration. The next voice had to be the leader, it was commanding, but at the same time, oddly quiet.
  "How about we let her choose? If she values her life, we'll make sure she doesn't try anything fishy. If she wants her life to end, then we'll do that swiftly and painlessly."
        'What should I choose?' I wondered nervously, 'Freedom from all of this, or imprisonment, but a chance at escaping?'
                                            -----------------------
          "Hello?" I called out in the night, "Is anybody there? If so, where am I?"
                                                  Silence.
  Ahh, it was no use. For the past hour I had wandered the familiar land, crying out for help. But there was simply noone here! Only the occasional wolf howl, and that frightened me more than aided me. The thing that terrified me the most, though, was the fact that this place fiercely reminded me of my home. But, when I ventured in the direction of I said house, the forest seemed to only expand, refusing to let her out of its clutches. So I slumped to the ground in defeat, accepting her fate.
                          Until I heard a human's voice...calling her name.
        "Bella," came the same voice, in a ghostly whisper.
        "Yes?" I cried out, unafraid of who it would be. All I wanted was to leave this place, even if it meant answering a complete stranger.
        "Come..." it spoke again, barely past a whisper. And yet I could still hear it clearly.
        "But...but where are you, stranger?" I replied, confused. The voice seemed to be emanating from everywhere. Which way to turn?
        "To-towards the...lake," the voice answered louder, obviously straining to speak and be heard.
              She stopped breathing; the lake was over a mile away. How could she hear such a faint voice?
        "Q-quickly," the strained voice sounded panicked.
                  So, I set off at a dead run towards the lake, ignoring the scrapes I made along the way. Whatever was calling me had to be weak...what if it was my dad?
        But, when I arrived 10 minutes later at the lake, there was nothing there. Only the water shimmering in the moonlight, and the trees' trembling leaves. She spiraled around, looking for the figure of her dad in the night, but nothing greeted her. This place was eerily like a graveyard, she thought, and shivered. 
              When I looked back at the lake, though, a prevalent light shone from under its waters.
  I cautiously edged my way up to the brink of the lake, and gazed down. What greeted my eyes amazed me. It must be a human, but she was glowing and seemed to be asleep.
            And that's when she opened her bright, golden eyes.
          "Bella," she called in a flowing, but strong voice, "I am here to tell you your parents are under my care, hence the purpose of this dream."
          "Wait..." I  hesitantly replied, "Who are you? Wait, no, _what_ are you? And more importantly, why are you taking captive my parents?" I asked, gathering my courage.
          "Foolish girl," she thundered, but abruptly laughed, "I am the Creator, the one who made you! Your people call me, "God", though my name is really of no importance now. All living come here after they have passed away, and it's my job to take care of them."
          "But why have you come here, then? Aren't I still living?" I asked, deciding to trust her for now.
          "Your parents have pleaded that I come and talk to you. They want you to live with the bandits." she said simply.
          "How can I?!" I retorted, suddenly full of anger, "They're the ones who ruined my life in the first place!"
          "Your parents say that nothing bad will become of you if you do. You will have to be patient, though, until then, and remain calm." she answered, stressing the last word.
          "How can I be calm?! They killed my parents! Are you lying to me? My parents would never want me to stay with the ones who _murdered_ them!"
          "You are wrong." the goddess replied, her features hardening.
          "What do you mean?" I asked, bewildered, my anger leaving me as quick as it had come.
  A bell's brutal noise drowned out her next words, and I could only pick out the last few words.
          "...must not give in, Bella! Don't forfeit life, okay? For now I must go, though it does not mean I will not be watching!" she literally yelled over the racket, and the next second, she was gone.
                                        ----------------------------
          "Girl! Wake up!" A loud, obnoxious voice cried out, and I realized I was being shaken.
          "Ahh!" I replied with surprise, "Who are you?!"
          "Your new roommate." he answered without enthusiasm and backed away, dusting off his knees.           
          "Oh," she said, remembering where she was, "Why were you shaking me?" 
          "You wouldn't wake up. At first I yelled to you to get up, but to no success. Are you always like that? It was like trying to talk to a rock!"
          "No, not usually." For now she would hide what she dreamt.
          "Ahh, bandit, it looks like I'm joining your ranks," she announced irritatedly.
          "That's Mr. Bandit to you!" he replied with no less hostility.
                          This would be a long day....
                                            ---------------------
Please review! I made this all up the second before I typed it, and I know it might be a bit confusing...Please help me by telling me what's wrong. If you like it, also, can you tell me to continue? I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to continue if nobody likes it....                        Anyways, thanks for reading my story!
-Minuit :D
© Copyright 2010 Minuit (etoilesminuit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1647797-Walls