*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1648051-Youre-Still-Beautiful
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1648051
After all these years, she's still beautiful.
Prompt:  Write a story that includes the line: "You haven't changed a bit"

Words = 300



                                                                 
You’re Still Beautiful






Samuel Johnson stood in front of the Mirror and tied his tie. He cocked his head and straightened the knot. Time had sprinkled salt amidst the pepper, highlighting his dark, leathery skin.

The suit hung looser than the day he bought it, but it would be fine. At least his shoes still fit. He glanced at his watch and abandoned his reflection.

He looked at the photographs on the mantelpiece. Their wedding picture stood on the left. He felt a little something in his heart. Janice’s white gown brought out the chocolate of her skin. His eyes swept to the second picture. Together they smiled over their fiftieth wedding cake. Her silver hair shone like a halo.

“I’m coming, baby. Just give me a little time. I’m almost ready.”

He looked around for his wallet and the car keys. He found them on top of the table next to her favorite chair. When he went outside, he almost forgot to lock the door.

The trees zoomed by while he drove. They reminded him of the children they never had. When he stopped at the light, he noticed the unopened bottle of heart medicine in the passenger’s seat. He arrived and parked. When he opened the door to his old Chevy, his arthritis greeted him. He sighed.

The heat attacked him during the short walk before the air conditioning helped him catch his breath. He was early and alone, just like he’d planned. The soft orange carpet cushioned his steps as he shuffled to the front.

She was waiting for him, her face like an Angel’s. “Sixty years together and you’re still as beautiful as the day I met you. You haven’t changed a bit.”

He bent over and kissed her. “I’m ready now.” He clutched his chest and closed his eyes.



© Copyright 2010 Tadpole1 (tadpole1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1648051-Youre-Still-Beautiful