*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1648589-Early-morning-sun
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Debbie
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1648589
Short story contest
Early morning sun

The sunlight sweeping into the dark room forced Nancy to open her tired eyes. The monster of the past few months of her life tormented her every night, robbing her of sleep. If at all it could be called sleep, it came in the wee hours of the morning. As a tear trickled down her face, she made her way to the bathroom to get ready for the day. It was the day she was dreading for the past few months. As she made her way to the car, her broken heart could not make her feel the warmth of the early morning sun. Once she reached the parking lot of the court house, the last of her strength seemed to have ebbed away. She could not and did not want to climb up the staircase that would lead her to the end of her relationship, her love. Out of habit, she had turned off her car and for the past half hour she had been sitting in the cold car. Her pain made her so numb that she unable to feel the cold.

With a heavy heart, she finally made her way to the staircase and as she was about to climb the last few stairs, a voice behind her stopped her in her tracks. She turned to see a man running up the flight of steps towards her. The site of her husband sparked a wind whirl of emotions inside her. She wanted to walk away and stay at the same time. He came up to her and looked at her for a long time. Then he took her hand, knelt down and asked for forgiveness. He said that he got carried away by the instigation of his mother who had never liked Nancy. But the last few months had been awful for him and he realized that he could never live without her. No matter how much they had fought, he knew that end of the day she was there beside him. He knew that their love was always there to take them through. And he also realized that it was he who had failed in their marriage.  He told her that he missed her terribly and that he didn't want to go ahead with the divorce. He asked her if she would give him a last chance to make things right. Nancy got angry at him for what they went through. She felt frustrated because her tears made it impossible for her to talk. She turned to walk away but as he held on to her hand Nancy had to look up at her husband. The pain and regret in his eyes made her grasp the fact that their love was still there and he meant every word he said. They both knew that if life was difficult together in the past, it was devastating for them without each other. It seemed Steve understood what she wanted to say. Softly he said, “Nancy, I promise. Please give me a last chance.” She nodded and they made their way down the stairs again. With her love beside her, she found the world beautiful again and the early morning sun very reassuring.


Word count: 534

 Early morning sun  (E)
Short story contest
#1648589 by Debbie



© Copyright 2010 Debbie (debbie4u at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1648589-Early-morning-sun