*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1648710-Twist-of-Fate-Chapter-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1648710
Continuation of Twist of Fate
The One Born with Black Wings woke to a sharp pain where his wing had been. He looked over his shoulder and saw the stump bandaged, but he could see blood seeping through the cloth. He felt all of his broken bones had been set and that they healing quickly. He looked around the cluttered room in which he slept. Books were stacked everywhere and notes were piled and tacked up around the room. He glanced at one, “Reminder: Within next year check moon cycle for changes since Shade Experiment.” He wondered what this experiment was.
“Ah, your awake. Good. I bandaged your injury but angel blood and injures are so different from human, I didn’t know what medication to give you. What do you know about angel painkillers?” the man was relatively pale with shaggy dark hair. Somehow the One Born with Black Wings could tell that his dark green eyes were taking in everything at once, but completely focusing on him at the same time.
“A strange thing, walking through the forest for an experiment to find a one winged ten year old angel bleeding on the ground. Especially an angel with a black wing. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wing colour defines the class of an angel, and black is that of the Fallen. I didn’t think that Fallen lived that long, falling from the sky and all. I should look into that.” He grabbed a piece of paper and scribbled on it.
The One Born with Black Wings could only stare at him. The man glanced up at him. “Quite chatty aren’t you. Do you have a name?”
“Everyone in Eternity called me the One Born with Black Wings. I wasn’t given an actual name because I was…an abomination.” He glanced down at his pale, scarred hands.
“Fascinating. Angels are supposed to be superior to humans in everyway, but psychological influence is the same. Tell a child something enough times, and eventually it becomes an unquestioned truth.” The man wrote something else on his piece of paper. “And being born with black wings, that is interesting. Isn’t it that the Fallen crossed the One or some such nonsense?”
“It’s not nonsense. And it’s people who cross the Council, not the One.” His stump throbbed again and he was feeling light-headed but he sat tall looking at the man.
“Yes, well, we have plenty of time to discuss this theory later. Now, your wound is still open. I wasn’t sure what to use to put you under, but if you have no knowledge of what to use it might be just as easy to leave you awake and we’ll test some different drugs later.”
“What are you going to do?”
“What am I…Boy, we will have to find you a name, I’m going to stitch your wound. Or I suppose we could burn the wound closed but that would be significantly more painful,” the boy’s eyes flashed fearfully at the thought of pain, “So it’s true…an angels eye’s truly does show his emotions, through his irises, which change colour. White must be fear.” the boy blushed, “and pink embarrassed.” He brought his eyes back to grey. “And you can control it. Fascinating. That is a full day’s research.” He scribbled something on the paper beside him.
“What do you mean… I’m not staying here.” He stood and tried to look tall but he realized as soon as the man stood that he couldn’t force his way out. The man was at least 6 feet tall.
The man looked down at him, his dark green eyes studying. The One Born with Black Wings saw that he was handsome, but pale enough to be inside all day. The man smiled. “I’m going to close the wound. You know that you’ll bleed to death if I don’t. Now, would you like to test some drugs, or endure the pain?”
The boy’s eye’s flashed white before going a muted grey. “I’ll stay awake.”
“Right. Lay chest down on the table.” he said, pulling a wiry thread and needle out of a nearby drawer. “Now let’s take a look at you.”
He slowly unwrapped the bandage. The man gently moved the stump of a better view and the boy tensed. “This was dealed by a blunt object, probably twisting, wrapped around the entire wing…what happened?”
The boy told him. He didn’t have anything to lose, and this man seemed harmless enough. Insane probably, but harmless. And it’s not like he could return to Eternity anyway. The man didn’t have anything to say for the first time, listening silently while he worked. After he finished the man said, “Prejudice is often blinding. Well, you’re all stitched up. How easy is it, do you suppose, to get angel blood out of sheets. Quite different then human blood. I’ll have to look into it.” The man rubbed some blood between his fingers.
The boy looked down at his hands again. The sharp pain had turned to a dull throb. “Thank you. For helping me, I mean. I was on my own in Eternity. So I really appreciate it Mr…”
The man looked up from his notes, “Have I not introduced myself? I apologize, I don’t usually converse with people long enough to introduce myself. I have many names, but you may call me Ryzo. And you need a name as well. The One Born with Black Wings? Too long….I will call you Vis. It means Fallen in our language, but it also means Injustice.” Vis’s eye’s turned light purple, “You will have to tell me what each colour means, it is most interesting. Now, you must sleep. There is a room just down the hall, to the left. Do you have different beds because of your wings? I suppose the furniture would have to be different to accommodate…again, a conversation for another time. Go, rest.”
Vis walked down the hall. He wasn’t sure if this was the Twist of Fate that the Council spoke of, or if he even believed in it anymore. All he knew was that he was alive, which was more then he expected this morning and tonight, he had a name, and a bed to sleep in.
© Copyright 2010 Scarlet Tango (scarlettango at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1648710-Twist-of-Fate-Chapter-2