*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1650677-A-Classic-Threat
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1650677
Smoke emanates up the mountain, as Peter moves closer towards the threat.
Chapter One: A Classic Threat







Smoke engulfed the ashen forest as the sun descended further over the rim of the mountains. Peter trudged on, covering his mouth with his velvet mask as he had immense difficulty breathing.

Misty figures of trees and undergrowth descended down the lush slope, receding into a hazed obscurity laden with malignant substance. He continued moving with steadiness, his adamant body unwilling to be subjugated by the perilous smoke. Sweat poured down his neck layered with swelling veins.

He contemplated what could be sourcing this potent threat. A forest fire was a conceivable possibility, but with ample amounts of rain this season it was highly unlikely a blaze of this magnitude would be incidental.

Surely an individual wouldn't have intentionally created such a menace to mother nature, and other towns encircling the valley. If he were to uncover a member of his own town of Lushgren had masterminded this embarrassment, he would see to it they answered their own mindless notion with the same hazard that now threatens the entire basin. He advanced forward, taut to the unwavering route that would lead him hastily to Lushgren.

Lushgren was a prestigious community situated in the lowest, most botanical section of the valley. Originally a lumber community for cities within the region, the labor specialized economy gradually abandoned it's trade of resources for aspiring thoughts of independence and the formation of a successful polity.

Lushgren is now an aspiring, tentative society of roughly 20,000 people. It's substantial growth makes it the most vigorous in the whole valley. Trade sessions are procured to Lushgren's trading district, located in the core of the town, once per harvest.

Alliances were formed with other minor communities throughout the valley. These alliances caused the form of a fresh, unused army commonly overlooked by the government. Attacks on the valley were seldom and rarely occurred. The army's potential was never fully employed. Because of this, the original plan of an allied force against enemies became a government run army of law.

Peter led this force asking unforgivably from the authority for vital resources and sanctions to sustain a legion adequate for securing the valley, should the need arise. These petitions were scoffed at repeatedly in the harmonious valley.

As he descended further a fresh smell formed itself in his nostrils with impetuous force. The familiar smell stained his mind with vile images. He had been subject to this disgusting funk only once before, numerous years ago, but it's horrendous causation could never be forgotten. The odor that now flowed upward through the forest was the stench of singed human flesh.
© Copyright 2010 Chowbear McCandless (chowbear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1650677-A-Classic-Threat