*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1652582-Tyavelk
by Lonski
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Drama · #1652582
Two kids find something in a lost city which causes trouble as its importance is found out
I hate, hate, hate character limitations. I hate all forms of limitations really but in this context, I hate these things the most. Why not word limitations instead? Grrr....



Well this was what I wanted to say: A beginning to a saga. Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city named Crytonia a young girl names Hana and her brother find something amongst the rubble which has been long lost and forgotten for generations. Their discovery has repercussions in later years when her brother is kidnapped and taken to the capital city for questioning. Can she find her brother and will she discover the importance of the thing left forgotten for eons?



Is that not more interesting looking? :P



The cornerstone of my novel... I'm a little nervous...



Please read, enjoy and review!



Lonski.




-----------



Tyavelk.






Latavaria; an oceanic planet with its only few continents completely habituated by Humes; a non-indigenous species. After an international space crisis however, Humean-kind moved and built massive Skycities which sprout on long pillars from the sea. Many stayed on the land however and soon, wars broke out between the two civilizations and the older cities on the continent lost, leaving them in ruin.

         Crytonia, one of the cities which lost the most now lies in ruin and inhabited for many years. Small settlements have cropped up around its outskirts on the plains and are collectively called the Crytonian outlands it is in one of these settlements where the story is set.



Grey, dusty and easy to get lost or trapped in; that’s how many would describe the city of Crytonia. That’s how she would describe it, but to Hana, it’s so much more. Its freedom, it’s exciting and it’s all hers. Well, hers and their friends and also her little brother’s she supposed. Kids of her generation feel its their birthright to play amongst the old city, it was after all where their ancestors lived and so its only right that someone should use this city. Since no one else did anymore. The adults called the place ‘Condemned’ and now at the age of fifteen, Hana had a vague idea as to what that meant however she still was unsure why that was. The only thing she thought was ‘condemnable’ about the place was that sometimes the slow ones got trapped under some rubble but not many are really badly hurt. Most of the big stuff has already fallen; it’s only the dust that falls now, at least in the parts where they normally played.



         “Hey, we should check out some other places, I’m bored of this now.” She said with a hand cast up towards somewhere deeper into the old city.



Her voice left no place for disagreement, Hana had gotten used to the fact that her age meant that her word was law amongst the other kids. Her younger brother; Tamaya shrugged and nodded with the kids but his sloughed shoulders told her that he disagreed. This annoyed her and she shoved him a little as they walked. Soon she had a feeling that her age would mean that she would no longer be listened to by the others, at fifteen she’s three years older then the second eldest in their crowd and just over five years older then their youngest; her own brother. It wouldn’t be long until they stop treating like their leader and see her as another adult. It was harsh but she remembered it happening to other’s before although she wasn’t sure how she would cope with it. For now, she would enjoy where she was.

         

         “I can’t believe we haven’t been here before, this place is cool!” One of the boys shouted as he ran ahead and disappeared behind a large concrete wall; one of the few still relatively whole. Her grandfather ha mentioned an ancient war however she couldn’t understand what exactly destroyed the place to make it ‘Condemned.’ It was obvious the place was destroyed, but by what? There were no gun holes in any of the walls; she knew what to look for after all, Hana could recall early memories of her father hunting with a gun. So what destroyed the city and mad ether people who survived run away?



         Hana looked to see where everyone was, this place made her loose track of time. If any of the kids got hurt then the adult might find out that they play a little further away from the village then they pretend. Her eyes found Tamaya, “What’s this?” He was crouched low and his hands pulled at something. Hana helped him after she made her way over. It was some kind of oily paper, crackled and yellowed. The residue stained her fingers, she realized as she raised them to see, it smelt strongly too. Tamaya laughed as she pulled a face at it so she shoved his cheek with the hand.



         “That will learn ya!” She sniggered as she watched him fall sideways. He wasn’t a very tall or broad boy for his age but because she was his sister, the others hardly picked him for it. “It’s a piece of paper dumbass!” Hana pointed out.



         “Yeah but why is the writing weird. It’s all kinds squiggly and made up.”



         “Coz someone like you probably writ it. You sure you didn’t write it?” Hana questioned, knowing full well it would wind him up but she was disappointed when he didn’t reply. She followed Tamaya’s eyes down to the ground again.



He spoke as he dug his hands into the rubble, “I think there’s something else in there.” Hana joined him and slowly they began to turn stones out of the way and soon the corner of a book came into view. “It’s the book!” He said excitedly to her as she pulled it free.



She pulled it open and was greeted with the same foul smell of something chemically and strange, she felt the oil stain her arm as she rested it on herself as she peered at the pages. Her face sank with disappointment as she read it. “It’s in the same stupid made up writing as the page. Nothing in here makes sense!” Hana scowled as she threw it to the floor but Tamaya caught it.



         “We can take it to Granddad! Maybe he can tell us, he knows everything!” Her younger brother’s eyes sparkled with anticipation for her to agree, she wasn’t all that interested. It was just a book after all. With a sigh she agreed, it was easier then arguing with him. “Fine but you’re carrying the thing.” She said as she stood up and brushed her clothes off. Her hands streaked the few parts of her clothes which were clean but it didn’t matter. Hana had been deliberately going out her way to destroy her clothes anyway so she could get new ones. Hana peered back at her brother as she shoved the piece of paper in her pocket, he had made a sudden gasp; the book was literally the same size as his torso and she guessed it weighed about the same also, it was rather comical to watch him struggle but eventually she did take pity.



She yanked it from his arms and said, “Give it here Dumbass!” Tamaya didn’t even resist as he stood there red-faced and panting from the effort. “We should go; I’m not carrying this thing round all day.” Hana looked at the other kids who were dotted around. Had they been in their usual spot she would have been happy to simply leave them behind but since they were deeper in Crytonia she didn’t want to leave them alone. “Guys! We’re leaving okay? Its late and… we have this thing now.”  Some disagreed but as she turned her back and began to walk away the few kinds who tried to stay left with her for fear of getting lost on the way home. She smiled as her tactic worked once again. It was fun to be in charge… she’d enjoy it while it lasted…



-------



Hana kicked off her shoes as she stepped up the worn few steps into her low-roofed home. She was the tallest girl in her age group and she was often picked on for it but it was never really a bother until she got home, then it hurt her neck as her mother made it worse by having a tendency to hang everything from food to clothes on the rafters.



         “Mum,” Hana began as she made her way around a recently placed piece of woven cloth in front of the doorway, “Mum?” She asked after there was no sound or movement in the house, the girl picked her way through the house with her brother in tow behind her. Hana dropped the book on a table which looked as though it had been born from many other tables but she had always known it to be that way. It creaked under its weight and the legs shifted to balance on a new angle. Hana still had her lip between her teeth in anticipation for it crashing in pieces when her mother appeared from behind a rug she was making from various strands of fabric.



         “What are you up to?” Her mother asked, piqued by her daughter’s tense posture. She was well accustomed to her daughter’s antics. Her eyes went from Hana to the table and to the book. “What’s the book, are you reading now?” Her voice was filled with mild surprise.



         “Nothing-Er… No I’m not. I just… erm.” Her mother always had a gift for surprising her with a barrage of questions.



Tamaya stepped forward and shouted eagerly as he ran to his mother’s arms, “We found a book!” Their mother held Tamaya at arms length as she crouched down and inspected his clothes.



         “What have you been doing? You’re clothes are all dirty again have you been…” She took an angered breath as she stood back to her full height to look at Hana who had already looked down in preparation for this. “Have you been back to the city? I thought I told you before, a hundred times not to go there!”



         “Oh come on, we always go to the same old place, its safe and there’s nothing but rocks and stuff. Nothing dangerous. There’s not even any animals!” Hana yelled her end of their timeless argument.



         “There’s no animals there for a reason Hana!” Her mother hissed, “And if its only rocks and ‘stuff’  why don’t you play on the plains instead of the city like you’re supposed to instead of wandering around in a Condemned area. Its irre-“



         “Except we went to see a new place further in the city mum! It was really cool, there were taller walls and there was stuff in the ground too like this boo-“ Tamaya said with a shining face, he turned to the table where the book was, immune to their mother’s rage.



Hana rushed towards her brother to pinch him in rage, “You idiot! I told you not to talk!” She shoved him instead, unable to coordinate her shaking hands.



Their mother’s cheeks reddened with rage as she looked between the two, “Going in is one thing but going in deeper then just the outside that’s another! And I suppose you brought your little rally of friends with you too I suppose. And what do you think their mother’s will say when they find out that you both took the lead and dragged them along with you to a dangerous place hmm? Do you think they will be very pl-“



         “I didn’t drag them, they followed me! It’s not my fault and I didn’t even let them go far without me anyway. I’m not an idiot! Unlike some!” Hana hissed as she shoved Tamaya again.



Tamaya fell to the ground and Hana rolled her eyes as he began to cry. He always overreacted; she hadn’t even pushed him that hard. Now she would be the one to get all the blame, she hated being the eldest sometimes.



         “I only wanted to show you the book I found!” Wined Tamaya through tears on the floor.



Hana looked down at him and yelled, “I was the one who pulled it out because you’re too stupid to do anything yourself, I should have just left you behind and let the other stupid kids who stay behind pick on you like they should!” Tamaya only hiccupped in response, unable to articulate a reply. Tears threatened to fall again on his blotched cheeks as he stared up at her. Real tears this time, Hana felt a pang of guilt as her mother’s hand came down to clasp her arm.



         “Don’t take it out on him; he’s your younger brother.” She scolded as she lent over to look down at her, “He and the other kids look up to you so it is your fault. They will go wherever you go so they are your responsibility whether you like it or not!” Hana pulled away from her mother, her previous good mood had completely dissipated and all that was left was fury at her brother and her mother for causing the same situation once again. They were so stupid.



         “What book?” A quiet voice came from by the fireplace. Her Grandfather sat in a couch which he had remained unchanged, much like the man, since she could remember. His wrinkled tan face was hidden beneath wisps of snowy hair which she thought made him look like a sun hidden behind some cloud. This usually made her smile but her mood was so sour she only cast her gaze downwards again and shrugged sullenly.



         “Nofin.” She muttered to him.



Her mother picked up the book which they had brought home, she frowned much like Hana had when the oil stained her hands and the smell wafted to her nose. “This is really old, its from the city?” She asked her father in law as she passed it to him.



         “Possibly so, it is certainly aged, much of the ink is faded. This oil is for preservation I think.” The old man said with interest as he passed it around between his hands to look at it from different angles. “The fact that this is in such a poor condition despite the preservation measures… This must be maybe older then the war.”



         “That can’t be,” Their mother said in disbelief, her father in law liked to find things out of nothing and he often was right but this did sound a little too impossible to believe. “That would make it more then a hundred years old, Dad. Does it have a publishing date?”



The old man opened the large book slowly, aware that the pages may fall apart from the spine, he froze. “You found this in the ground you say? Near the centre of the city?” His dark brown eyes peered at her, his sight was failing him but he managed to find her face perfectly through the dimness of the house.



         “I… yeah, near the centre. I can’t read the writing, what does it say?” Hana asked with keen interest, why had he frozen? Was the book really that special and old enough to make him look almost scared by it?



         “Then I am certain they are pre-war and not placed there after then.” Her Grandfather said as he placed the book on his lap.



         “Why would anyone want to put something there if it wasn’t already there before the war?” Hana asked, it was a silly thing to ask she thought.



         “Exactly…” He said quietly as he ran his fingers over the now closed cover of the book. It was bound by a thick material which looked like it could either be thick old paper or a very dry and withered animal skin. “Which is my I must do this I’m afraid.” Her Grandfather said as he raised the book with both hands and cast the book by the fire.



         “What, no wait!” Hana yelled as she rushed forward to take the book from the flames of the ever burning fire. Her mother’s hands grabbed her shoulders to stop her from reaching for the smoldering book. Hana watched the book disappear in the smoke and a bust of blue-green flames. “Wh-why did you do that?” Hana yelled angrily to her Grandfather. She had never raised her voice to him before but now was not the time to think on that.



Her Grandfather lent forward in his chair as he reached for a handkerchief in his cuff and he spoke slowly as he rubbed the oil from his fingers. “I want you both to come closer to the fire so I may see you both more clearly. The two obeyed and he continued, “Promise me and your Mother that you will not go to Crytonia again, either alone or with the other children.” Hana looked to the fire, the heat made her eyes run she thought to herself as her lower lip trembled, “You are not to go even if you are told to by anyone. Understand?” Tamaya had already started crying when he was told to come to his Grandfather and the old man raised both arms for them both to be held in. Hana looked at his hand and then at his face silently in response. The boy rushed forward and a torrent of tears fell as he sobbed. Her Granddad looked up to Hana expectantly and she looked back into the fire. “Hana?”



         “If you don’t give me a good reason I don’t see why I should.” She said in a contrary voice as she ignored his open arm. “It’s called the old city of Crytonia, the condemned area. Why? Why take the book away?”



Her Grandfather had expected this and he sighed as her brother crept onto his lap to curl in the seat before the fire. “Because I’ve asked you to. I’ve lived much longer then you and so you should trust my words, trust your mother’s when we say the place is dangerous. Objects in that area is dangerous. You couldn’t read it because no one speaks or reads that language anymore for very good reasons. Now young lady, what do you have to say?”



Hana signed, there was no way she could win, it was made worse by the fact that he hadn’t shouted and yet his voice had left no room for argument. She looked up at her mother who had been watching her; the woman’s blue eyes reflected the firelight as she anticipated another passionate disagreement, “Fine, I promise. I won’t go back or tell anyone else to go.”  Even her brother had stopped crying with surprise. Hana looked to the dark windowless wall which faced the old city and continued with a sigh, “I’ll even tell the others that it’s too dangerous to go back. You’re right, there are good reasons.” She paused only for a heartbeat, “I’m sure.”



Her Grandfather noticed her pause but made no comment, only time would tell if she would keep her promise. She had never before but nothing of the like had been found before from the old city. Maybe this time it will get through and she would keep her word. Only time would tell.



And it did, Hana kept her word. She never went back to the abandoned ruined city and soon the other children listened either to Hana or the other elders and one by one, they soon became disinterested in the place and moved onto other things.



As far as he knew. Hana had tried to keep her word but there was something about the place that drew her in. The page of the long lost book had burned in her pocket and served as a constant reminder that there may be more to find in the city and so she began to go there in secret overnight. Soon the other children from her group outcast her as she grew older but it meant she could go there during the day without the fear of her being followed. Her brother kept his word however and Hana decided she couldn’t trust him to keep his loudmouth quiet and so she never once invited him or told him about her still going.



----



Author's notes: Woo-hoo! So this is the first chapter of my Lativaria saga. Thank you so much for reading and (hopefully) reviewing my story. It means a lot that you do. I'm a writer myself in the non-plugged world, I study screenwriting and film production with a healthy dash of sci-fi philosophy in University and so any comments, criticisms or anything else you may have to say or offer will be appreciated more then I can say.



So this is a little back story for those of you who are interested, as I said I study at uni and this is now featuring (in some form) in my course work there. I came up with this as a completely original universe, its been in my head in three completely separate stories for about five years. I've written fanfiction before and I'm a published poet already but I had no idea how to express these ideas because I didn't think this idea would work in either medium. Until one day one of my Lectures said something along the lines of not being afraid to create your own world beyond anything you've done or seen before and the ideas all just snapped together. That night I sat down and began to combine all my ideas together which have been living (tormenting) me in my head. I took his words literally and I began to make an entire universe and the ideas have been flowing ever since.



A few months down the line I was inspired to write this specific story based along the idea of faith. Not giving too much away but only to explain, I am not a religious person. I was brought up with a religious background however I was brought up to have a respect for all things religious and non-religious and so the topic I was asked to write around stumped me for some time. Until this time I decided to take the direction a little less literally an I made faith into an object, something you can grasp as well as having all the typical mythical and spiritual tones surrounding it. Then I found that this idea of literally discovering faith would prove as a very good catalyst to my own story and so I did just that. I've changed a few things around to suit my uni studies and what you are reading will (somehow) be turned into a 30 minute script. So any opinions on that would be gladly appreciated. The fundamental story will be the same however, I may also upload the main story itself in some time, especially if this idea takes off.



Well as you can see by the long-winded but (hopefully ) not boring explanation I he you can see my excitement about this project, its like nothing I've ever done before and so I hope you enjoy it and comment on anything or everything you see in it.



Thank you again!



Lonski.


© Copyright 2010 Lonski (lonski at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1652582-Tyavelk