*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1652709-The-Wheel
by NVG
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1652709
The wheel is turning, turning, turning. Will you be the next winner?
We all sat there, watching the wheel spin around over and over again. Not one of us was not scared as we sat there, trembling. We'd lived our life off this wheel, relying on it each day to keep us alive. Unfortunately, some had been unlucky and had died, for the wheel is not perfect.

Minutes passed, and, slowly, the wheel came to a halt. Presenting to us its final victim for the day, all but one left the large room. As I left, I knew none of us would ever see him again. Although what happened was unknown to us, we knew none survived. This person, however, was my dearest friend. I had to save him from this terrible fate. I knew how; I'd planned this for years should the day come, but how to do it escaped me. I decided to give it a shot, regardless.

I trailed behind the departing group of adolescents, claiming I'd "catch up with them" Once out of sight, I proceeded to find my secret passage that leading to what we perceived as the Victim's Chambers. Darting behind walls to remain unseen by patrolling guards, I slowly got my way to the passage. Climbing through it, I went over my plan one last time. A relatively short tunnel, I paused for a second at the end of it, as I heard voices - and screams of pain. It was now or never, and I decided it was time to fight.

Barging through the opposite exit, I caught the guards off-guard, and, using their weapons against them, debilitated them just long enough to scamper through the door on the opposite side of the room and lock it behind me.

Knowing time was against me, I raced through the final passages to were the screams were becoming louder. Not pausing to catch my breath or regain composure, I threw myself into the final room, and was met by more guards than I had expected. Undeterred, and slightly worse for wear, I got past them to meet my final challenge.

He stood there, poised over my friend, ready to strike. Unaware of my presence, he began torturing him. Taking the opportunity, I charged at Him with all my might and managed to take him off balance. Quickly taking His weapon from Him, I sliced His head off and proceeded to free my friend. As we began to depart in much the same way I came, I heard a noise from behind me. He swiftly blocked off the exits, and disappeared. Moments later, He reappeared with another, larger weapon, and the dreaded Wheel.

He span it. We watched and waited. The spinner came to rest on my name. So as to avoid more hassle, he killed my friend there and then, on the spot. Torture equipment emerged from the floors, and He began laughing maniacally. For me, it was the end...
© Copyright 2010 NVG (notverygood at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1652709-The-Wheel