*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1653758-in-the-trees-chap-4
by Quinn
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1653758
Chapter 4 of In the trees.
"How do you know?" Anna asked Xavier in a hushed tone. "How do you know that... that... monster is going to..."
"Hey, I never said I liked it either, now did I?" He replied, as they sat on the patio.
"But... to sell the forest, why would he do that?" Anna pleaded, leaning against Xavier. "I just don't get it!" She cried, scaring away a family of birds. Anna fell on to Xavier sobbing uncontrollably. Xavier pulled a blanket around them, and huddled with Anna.
"There, there." Xavier murmured.
"Oh no! It's nearly sunset!" Anna cried out. "i have to go!" Hastily, she wiped the tears from her eyes, and grabbed the harness. "Ray! It's time to go home!" She yelled, hoping her sister would hear. Anna slipped on the harness, and deftly clipped on the hooks. Xavier held on to the slightly frayed rope, just as Ray came down the ladder.
"Oh, can't we stay longer? Please Anna?" Ray asked imploringly. In response, Anna jumped off the side of the fort. Anna shrieked with delight as she free fell through the forest. Ray closed her eyes, afraid of the 'Crunch' her sister would make as she hit the ground. The next thing she heard was Anna's voice.
"Your next, squirt!" Anna yelled up gleefully, sending the harness up. As it soared into view, Ray gulped. Did she have the guts? Before she knew it, Xavier was clasping the climbing hooks to the sides of the harness. Chris sneaked up behind her, as quiet as a mouse.
"Boo!" Chris yelled, and Ray jumped off, scared out of her wits. She began to speed towards the forest floor, her mouth open in a wordless scream.
© Copyright 2010 Quinn (waltzdog at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1653758-in-the-trees-chap-4