*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1653842-Warm-Summer-Sun
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1653842
(Writer's Cramp Winner!) It gets pretty hot out there...
662 Words

PROMPTS:
horseshoe
woman in wheelchair
banana smoothie
leg cramp
trashy novel


Me and Ernie, we was sitting out on the old steps outside the G-Mart enjoying that fine summer sun when that woman showed up. Looked like something right out of a trashy novel, she did. She came and says she needs to use our phone, cause her car broke down up the road, and she aint got no way to get home. Well Ernie, he takes a liking to this lady, them muddy eyes of his locked on her big bosom - not that I dont like how she looks in that tight little shirt of hers, but I aint gonna get my leg in a cramp over nothing like that.

So he gets her all settled and she makes her phone call, buys one of them fancy banana smoothies from that damn machine. I dunno why Ernie ever got that damn machine; we aint the smoothie type 'round here, but anyhow.

The woman gets to telling us what she traveling this country road for; seems she some wife of some rich, old city man. Says he races horses down at that track over a ways, but one of her little jockeys, well he's just a feisty little fellow, she says, with a big, hot temper, and just a week ago he threw a goddamn horseshoe at a little old lady who owned one of them other racing horses. Well, she says, maybe people'd feel differently 'bout it, except this little old woman is in a wheelchair, and aint nobody who should be throwing nothing at a woman like that, even if she's deserving it.

So Miss Chesty, that's what I called her but not when she could hear it, says she needs to find that little, damn jockey but he ain't been seen since he threw that horseshoe, and when she finds him she's gonna kick him into next week, she says. She didn't look to me as if she'd kick anyone anywhere, so we laugh and next thing we knows, her rides showing up, and that rich, fat husband of hers came stumbling out of that fancy Mercedes and he says to her that he needs to bother with her car later.

Well me and Ernie, we says we'd be happy to take a look at Miss Chesty's car if he were gonna pay us for the trouble. Ain't nothing for free no more. When that wallet as fat as he were came out, I saw that damned look in Ernie's eye. I knew what he's thinking and I don't see nothing wrong with that thought, and so I wait just a minute. Next thing I know, Ernie has that dirty rifle of his out and pointing at that city man and his trashy little wife, and says they better hand over that fat wallet.

Well those city boys, they think they're pretty tough and I could tell this one ain't gonna do what he's supposed to do, and so I says to Ernie to step back, and I punched that fat old man right in his big gut. He folded in half like a lawn chair and that's when Ernie kicked him in the nose and knocked him down. His little wife, she starts screaming and so we says to her 'be quiet', but she ain't stopping only getting louder, and it gets awful hot out there in that warm summer sun, and so I guess that's why Ernie shot her. He's a pretty good shot, says he was a sniper back there in that war and I aint inclined to question him.

So she was bleeding all over the dirt, I reckon she died pretty quickly but that don't stop the blood from coming. Well it was about then that you damned cops drove up to see what was happening. I reckon we aint gonna enjoy that warm summer sun anymore for a long time, eh, officer Carl?
© Copyright 2010 Eva White (evawhite at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1653842-Warm-Summer-Sun