*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1654783-Leadership
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · War · #1654783
Just a short extract of a much larger story...but a very good one.
A human wearing a black suit came up on stage. He was truly dressed to the nines for a formal event like this. Who would say that only a few days ago his uniform was covered with dirt and he was crawling over inhabitable terrains?

He went up to the mike and looked at the 160, no, 180 curious sets of eyes stuck on him. He gulped involuntarily. It was certain he was nervous. All the same, he started in aclear, calm voice-

“When I was told to give a speech I had no idea what I would say, but now it’s pretty clear to me. What you need to know is the picture of the battle, and nothing could describe it better than the story of the one who played the most important part in it.

I will tell you off our captain today, the greatest man I had known so far. While so many feared this plane, and the battle within it, he never seemed afraid. In his courage we found ours and under his strong leadership, we found hope.

He would be the first to charge in, the first to attack and the first to get wounded. But by some godly miracle, he would not die, not tire- rather, he would thrive. I heard him say one thing frequently, “ If you want to lead people forward, you can’t do it sitting in the back.”

He was truly a testament to his own words.

On the battle of Pelsor, on the first charge of the Rhoksedian army, he was the one to lead the defensive attack. The enemy retreated, but he was left with five bullets embedded in his body.

He called on to me, “ Frederich, come here!”

I hurried to answer my commander’s call. He sat their- clenching his teeth,.as the doctor plucked out the bullets with bloody red tweezers. Every time one would come out, he would growl, and groan as the wounds would be sewed shut.

Seeing me he said, “ The Rhokes 3rd battalion is moving up through the eastern deserts, meet them their with the F.S. division.”

I bowed my head in consent and turned to leave. As I left, I could hear his suppressed groans of pain as his body was being forced to heal.

20 minutes later, I found myself in a bloody battle.

58 of us dead and the whole 3rd battalion crushed to the last man. As I dropped the point of my sword through the last of our enemies- I looked towards the horizon to see a sight of horror. The Rhoksedian cavalry Legion!

Weary, and reduced to half our numbers, we lined up all the same to face them in battle. Amid the carnage outnumbered 4 to one, we barely clung on.

I had just slain one of the riders, when I heard a swords swing behind me- I knew this was my end.

But something blocked the attack!

Behind me stood my captain, shadowing me from the sun and the attacks, as he took the horseman down. He looked at me and gave me a soft smile. Blood poured of the side of his mouth and trickled down his chin

He stood next to me, bleeding profusely, his arms clasping on to the sword which sinisterly shone in the blazing sun of the desert, and a pair of determined eyes looking forward.

A second wave.

But he stood there, and we all line up behind him.

Indeed, you cannot lead someone forward sitting in the back.”

© Copyright 2010 Riff_726 (zirconium726 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1654783-Leadership